2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (Bostonmoores, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, Augustina, 36251, accordeur, Beansparrow, 10 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 738 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3126346 06/09/21 10:01 PM
I
ijason Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Do you have any tips on adjusting/positioning piano bench in a way where your back won't hurt?
I am having lower back pain after practicing for couple hours.

Thanks!

Last edited by ijason; 06/09/21 10:01 PM.
ijason #3126375 06/09/21 11:56 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Maybe you need something other than a bench.

Semipro Tech
ijason #3126378 06/10/21 12:55 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by ijason
Do you have any tips on adjusting/positioning piano bench in a way where your back won't hurt?
I am having lower back pain after practicing for couple hours.

Thanks!

First considerations:

1) Are you an appropriate distance from the keyboard and are you sitting at an appropriate height?
2) Are you sitting on the front third of the bench or further back?
3) What is your posture while you are playing?

These are important first positions to analyze.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
ijason #3126434 06/10/21 06:58 AM
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I think it's pretty normal to have lower back pain after practicing for couple of hours. I use a dining chair and rest on its back from time to time when playing.

C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Iaroslav Vasiliev
I think it's pretty normal to have lower back pain after practicing for couple of hours. I use a dining chair and rest on its back from time to time when playing.
I would say it is not normal and indicates problems which could be related to the three points raised by BruceD, or it could indicate back or shoulder problems. For some twelve years I had lower back pain, not necessarily when playing the piano. I eventually realised that it was not due to a twisted pelvis, for which the chiropractors and osteopaths treated it, but due to the fact that my whole upper body was slightly twisted and I had very rounded shoulders - perhaps due to too much piano playing when young. So opening up my shoulders via massage and exercises over the course of a few months did wonders for me and also helped my piano playing.

I would very much recommend Penelope Roskell's warmup exercises which you can access on Online Academy

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
BruceD #3126664 06/10/21 06:00 PM
P
P
+1 for the considerations of BruceD.

I have back pain problems at the computer, but not anymore at the piano. What I thought was a height problem, was actually more of a distance problem. I sat too near. Now I sit with just my kneecaps underneath the keyboard and all is fine.

Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pppianomarc
...What I thought was a height problem, was actually more of a distance problem. I sat too near. Now I sit with just my kneecaps underneath the keyboard and all is fine.
For me, a quick and easy measure of how far back to place the bench is to use a music book such as a Henle edition. The distance between the piano and the bench is set to the height of the book, and I sit it on the front third of the bench.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

ijason #3126731 06/11/21 01:02 AM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I have seen - and I often wondered why - a student pianist sit at the piano, stretch arms out full length to touch the fallboard with the knuckles. That, I learned later, was how some determined the "right" distance to sit from the keyboard.

I've never tried it myself, as I have never had problems with any discomfort while practicing.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
ijason #3126822 06/11/21 09:26 AM
I
ijason Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Those are good suggestions! Now I'm wondering if I'm sitting in a bench correctly to begin with.
I sit in the first third of the bench, and my bench seems to be to high for me.
Maybe I need to consider getting a new bench since I cannot lower the bench height frown

ijason #3126882 06/11/21 12:03 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ijason
Those are good suggestions! Now I'm wondering if I'm sitting in a bench correctly to begin with.
I sit in the first third of the bench, and my bench seems to be to high for me.
Maybe I need to consider getting a new bench since I cannot lower the bench height frown

A nice adjustable bench is worth it if it can fit in the budget. I love my Benchworld Adagio Pneumatic. It made sitting at the piano more comfortable and enjoyable. However, there are plenty options that are less costly but they only have a few positions to adjust to, one could be too and the next too low. Sitting at anything for that long can cause discomfort. Do you take some small breaks, even just stand up for a few min?

ijason #3127031 06/11/21 08:57 PM
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Colin Miles
I would say it is not normal and indicates problems which could be related to the three points raised by BruceD, or it could indicate back or shoulder problems. For some twelve years I had lower back pain, not necessarily when playing the piano. I eventually realised that it was not due to a twisted pelvis, for which the chiropractors and osteopaths treated it, but due to the fact that my whole upper body was slightly twisted and I had very rounded shoulders - perhaps due to too much piano playing when young. So opening up my shoulders via massage and exercises over the course of a few months did wonders for me and also helped my piano playing.

I would very much recommend Penelope Roskell's warmup exercises which you can access on Online Academy
The problem is that my muscles of the lower back get tired of maintaining straight posture during long sessions and start to hurt. I also noticed that it happens a little bit sooner when reading scores continuously, probably because it requires more static posture. But what I have found recently after talking to others is that this problem is very common, almost everyone has it. Some people may have pain coming later, but it inevitably comes. Our bodies seem not to be adapted to maintaining static posture for a long time. A solution imo is either to take a short break and walk around every 1-1,5 hour, or to make exercises on the bench periodically to relieve tension, or to slouch periodically, or to use a chair with a back as I do and rest on it.

I tried opening up my shoulders fully, but I can't play in that position.

ijason #3127073 06/12/21 04:15 AM
R
R
I have never experienced this, even when sitting for hours at a stretch, but maybe it's just because I'm relatively young. Or because I slouch or get up in between without thinking about it.

It probably depends quite a bit on your balance, for lack of a better word. You can be leaning forward ever so slightly without realizing it, and I've caught myself doing that on occasion.

R
R
Really? I have never experienced this, even when practicing/playing for 4-6 hours a day. I know some piano students, who also haven't really told me about any back problems.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]But what I have found recently after talking to others is that this problem is very common, almost everyone has it. Some people may have pain coming later, but it inevitably comes. [...]

Among my group of serious, dedicated older piano students, this is not "very common," and certainly not "everyone has it." I have never experienced back pain from extended piano practice.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
ijason #3127160 06/12/21 12:02 PM
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
I see, I may be mistaken.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
I Want To Be Happy
by Simon_b - 07/24/21 02:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,054
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission