2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (anotherscott, brennbaer, 3B43, Craig Hair, claburo, clothearednincompo, 13 invisible), 308 guests, and 487 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3126357 06/09/21 10:59 PM
S
OP Offline
S
I bought a Kawai ES-8 almost two years for my home production studio and to maybe play out a little.

I’ve enjoyed it, but never take it anywhere. I just practice on it (if kids are on zoom/school) or use it as a second controller. It does not feel or sound like my acoustic, but I can make progress practicing on it. I liked it better than the other slabs I demoed. Rachmaninoff learned his 3rd concerto on a soundless dummy keyboard.

So, we just got a second (vacation) home and I need a practice piano/controller for it, preferably something that looks more like a “piano” that could sit in the living room and I could put my laptop on.

So guess I could put the ES-8 on the matching stand/triple pedals (if I can still find them), although I’d have to get a side table for the laptop. Or get something else.

No offense to the ES-8, but if I get something else, I’d like to at least get a better action and maybe sound. Right now, I mostly play/record using the Walker 1955 library (not internal sounds).

The obvious next step is the CA series...if anyone has compared the CAxx to the ES-8, I’d appreciate your thoughts.

What else might I be missing?

Has anyone come across a digital that literally feels like a concert grand?

If I keep using VSTs....guess I could focus on the best action, appropriate form factor and price, so long as the internal sounds aren’t total crap.

Thanks for ideas...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scriabinpiano
So, we just got a second (vacation) home and I need a practice piano/controller for it, preferably something that looks more like a “piano” that could sit in the living room and I could put my laptop on.

Not that I wish to dissuade you away from the CA series, however how about a VPC1?

A soundless MIDI controller with a wooden-key action, housed inside a sleek black slab, featuring 88 keys and a solitary power button.

[Linked Image]

No built-in speakers though, nor is there a matching stand accessory available... however if you're planning to continue pursuing VIs, the VPC1 should be on your radar.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
_
_
NV10 and N1X literally have grand-like action, you may also want to check NV5 and NU1X for friendlier budget. The upper CA series key actions are also better than the ES8. Though at this budget it may be a better idea to look around used acoustic pianos?
Regarding the sound, the furnitures have better speakers, also the ES8 can benefit a lot from good external speakers or headphones.
It is tough for any built-in engine to compete with the better VSTs these days - you can look up sound samples and compare them with good headphones (that doesn't tell you much about the sound over built-in speakers though).

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by scriabinpiano
I bought a Kawai ES-8 almost two years for my home production studio and to maybe play out a little.

I’ve enjoyed it, but never take it anywhere. I just practice on it (if kids are on zoom/school) or use it as a second controller. It does not feel or sound like my acoustic, but I can make progress practicing on it. I liked it better than the other slabs I demoed. Rachmaninoff learned his 3rd concerto on a soundless dummy keyboard.

So guess I could put the ES-8 on the matching stand/triple pedals (if I can still find them), although I’d have to get a side table for the laptop. Or get something else.

No offense to the ES-8, but if I get something else, I’d like to at least get a better action and maybe sound. Right now, I mostly play/record using the Walker 1955 library (not internal sounds).

The obvious next step is the CA series...if anyone has compared the CAxx to the ES-8, I’d appreciate your thoughts.

What else might I be missing?

Has anyone come across a digital that literally feels like a concert grand?

If I keep using VSTs....guess I could focus on the best action, appropriate form factor and price, so long as the internal sounds aren’t total crap.

Thanks for ideas...

Hi,

You didn't mention budget.
Would help if we knew your attitude to expected budget and flexibility on that.

Kind regards,
Doug

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Digital pianos are very much alike, in regards to action unless you go to hybrid digital pianos that use real grand/upright piano actions. If you can afford it, I would recommend a hybrid piano, N1X being the most affordable one with a grand piano action that is excellent and is enormously better than any typical digital piano action.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
S
OP Offline
S
Thought about vpc1, however will take some effort to deal with aesthetics. My wife is ok with my basement studio looking like a laboratory, stuff/cables everywhere, not ok in the living room of new place.
I tend to not favor yamahas (anything...no offense) but will look into N1X and NU1X and the Kawai equivalents. Guess these can be shipped anywhere. The local store has zero inventory - I’m hearing Yamaha in particular in short supply. But first home is in a major city, so can find demos.
Not sure about budget tbh, might evolve based on how much time we spend there, plus excitement finding something really interesting.
So I need to try some hybrids.
Wish someone would partner with a major vst library developer or two to integrate better sounds. I mostly play the ES-8 with headphones and the Embertone library, pretty nice. Just took some time to optimize the combination, tweaking various settings and curves in some non obvious ways finally worked. Guess I’m lucky to have the ES-8 as stop gap.
Thanks for thoughts.

P
P
Any space constraints in the living room of the new place? The NV5 and NU1X are substantially smaller than the hybrid grands. I have tried them both and would advise you to definitely try the NV5 and compare it to the NU1X if possible.

August Förster upright (sold). Kawai ES8. Kawai NV5S on order.
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by Pianico
Any space constraints in the living room of the new place? The NV5 and NU1X are substantially smaller than the hybrid grands. I have tried them both and would advise you to definitely try the NV5 and compare it to the NU1X if possible.

Thanks, good advice.
Yes space will matter...ok open living space, but trying to not clutter it up.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,783
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission