2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (Curt-S, dire tonic, Earlyriser, antune, clothearednincompo, barbaram, beeboss, Anglagard44, 11 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ilsanto1978
The only problem: while I was playing the sound freezed twice. Exactly like when you exceed the max polyphony (but I was playing Bach, no damper pedal, nothing...). I had also the same problem with Pianoteq. PLEASE, if someone will report the same problem write here!

Interesting. On the NV-10 when it exceeds polyphony (in Pianist mode) it drops the earliest notes, but you can continue to play new notes.

Are you experiencing an issue where the tones do not decay naturally (which is a sound generator issue, if it's happening with Pianoteq) or is it that note-on/off does not register so the existing notes decay but you cannot trigger new notes?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
O
O
Originally Posted by ilsanto1978
Hi everyone. I have my NV10S since 3 days. I sold my terrible NV5. The NV10S mechanic is unbelievable. AMAZING. The screen will remain dark grey, not black. The damper pedal is so HEAVY. I need to practice more and more to find out my way to use it. Sounds are quite good but I am still in love with my Pianoteq7.

The only problem: while I was playing the sound freezed twice. Exactly like when you exceed the max polyphony (but I was playing Bach, no damper pedal, nothing...). I had also the same problem with Pianoteq. PLEASE, if someone will report the same problem write here!

Thank you

Hi,

Can you look at Pianoteq midi events monitoring, if NV10S S , send release velocity value function of the release of any keys ?

Thanks,

Regards,

Olivier

O.F : Real GRAND Piano Schimmel / Roland HP 603 / and perhaps soon CA99 or N1X or NV10..... don't know smile

F
F
Originally Posted by rafaelzb
[quote=ilsanto1978]

Heavy pedal can be fixed changing the spring, should be not difficult, but it would be nice if someone can send a link in where we can purchase the right spring...still cannot find it.

Sorry to hear about the freeze, I play NV-10S all weekend with no issues...But didn't try anything with USB port. Only stand alone.

I went here in Santiago to www.resortes.cl and asked for a spring with same dimensions, but with 50% of the strength. It worked fine. Replacing it is a very easy to do task. I imagine that in Spain it may be also feasible.

Kawai NV10, Pianoteq 7 (Steinway D, Bechstein, Electric)

So... No damper pedal, just simple scales.
A new bug...?

Last edited by ilsanto1978; 06/08/21 04:23 AM.

Kawai NV10S - Korg Kronos 2 88 - Pianoteq7

I'm in love with Bach, Children Of Bodom, Liszt, Dragonforce, Debussy, Warmen, Chopin & Stratovarius.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Hello ilsanto1978,

I've just replied to your PM regarding this topic, however please contact your dealer to have this matter resolved.

I don't believe it is a bug, but rather a regulation/timing issue with the hammer sensors.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
S
S
Originally Posted by Falsch
even though a grand piano aims its sound upward, and to the right even.

Yes, also, it feels like grand pianos shoot sound straight out the front, horizontally, at the player. Removing the fall board makes the effect even more noticeable.

K
K

Sound of the new NV10S captured with microphones

J
J
Originally Posted by Kammerklang

Interesting, he's playing it like a mazurka. Hard to tell a real difference from the NV10.

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein
R
R
Originally Posted by frosas
Originally Posted by rafaelzb
[quote=ilsanto1978]

Heavy pedal can be fixed changing the spring, should be not difficult, but it would be nice if someone can send a link in where we can purchase the right spring...still cannot find it.

Sorry to hear about the freeze, I play NV-10S all weekend with no issues...But didn't try anything with USB port. Only stand alone.

I went here in Santiago to www.resortes.cl and asked for a spring with same dimensions, but with 50% of the strength. It worked fine. Replacing it is a very easy to do task. I imagine that in Spain it may be also feasible.

Thanks frosas, I read somewhere that a spring of 3.8cm x 1.5cm OD x 1.25cm ID will do, so I order this one, which is the closer to the sugested in this forum:
https://muellestock.com/en/producto/viewpdf?id=203709
They can also custom made a spring if required and accept orders from europe only if someone is interested, in a couple of days we will see how it works...

Evolution: Crappy €200 piano with termites included (1994/2001)-> Kawai CA-5 (2001/2019) -> Kawai K300 (2019)-> iphone garage band piano (2019/2021) -> Kawai NV-10S
H
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I just stumbled upon this Chopin (demo) video. I believe the piano is an NV5 (not-S), and it is a microphone recording in that room.

She's putting fire and might into that Scherzo 😀!

Cheers and happy inspirations,

HZ

I really wish they'd record directly from the piano. A good mic'd result requires a good, talented technical staff. I'm guessing that this piano is even better than it sounds here.

K
K
I am happy about every recording with microphones.

Even the worst microphone recording tells the ear more about the actual sound of a digital piano in a real environment than an artificial monitoring via the direct output, which only reproduces the euphemistic sound via headphones.

Only microphones can tell you something about the important interaction of a digitalpiano's soundsystem with room acoustics, and the more you listen to a model in different environments the more you will know about it's "true" sound character. The ears filter abilities will compensate for even the worst recording.

If you listen to the direct output instead, that says absolutely nothing about it and everything always sounds the same way embellished and falsely impressive.

@Kammerklang: A mic'd recording reveals something about the mic and the room and the post-processing. I don't want that.

Anyway ... few live recordings featured here are good. A poor recording spoils it for me.

P
Online Content
P
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

I just stumbled upon this Chopin (demo) video. I believe the piano is an NV5 (not-S), and it is a microphone recording in that room.

She's putting fire and might into that Scherzo 😀!

Cheers and happy inspirations,

HZ
I've seen this video before, I think it's the only one of the NV5 where the sound is recorded (instead of using the line-out) and real music is played. I think it sounds really convincing, most acoustic uprights (including the August Förster I had) would have a hard time producing a sound like this. Having played the instrument in real life I can confirm that it's great.
I still haven't tried the NV5S obviously.

Edit: And there is this video that contains small mic'd parts that sound a bit muffled (in my ears)

Last edited by Pianico; 06/09/21 03:08 PM.

August Förster upright (sold). Kawai ES8. Kawai NV5S on order.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Looking at the prices paid spreadsheet and filtering only for pianos purchased in Euros (which is the market referred to above), I see lots of examples where there's plenty of "room".

I see that Pero Ruiz paid less for his ES100 at a shop (€1471 including tax) than did JoeT did online (€1659 excluding tax).

Oof. That would be an really expensive ES100. The 1659 € figure included 19 % VAT was a Yamaha P-515 bundled with an L-515 stand and a LP-1 pedal. Converts to about $1700 USD excluding VAT.

Over three years later that 19 % VAT bundle price is almost the same (1649 €), but with a "delivery date unknown". The P-515 slab itself is now listed at 1455 € incl. 19 % VAT, $1490 USD without VAT (but also completely unavailable). Pero Ruiz probably purchased the slab itself only, while I paid about $200 extra (plus tax) for a furniture stand with pedals.

Early 2019 I didn't saw much room to negotiate, as the P-515 was already selling like hotcakes. In 2018 I didn't manage to get hands on a showroom model, because stores sold them unopened right from the incoming warehouse: No reason to put effort into preparing a display model, if people pick up the merchandise unseen as fast as they can.

Yamaha P-515
P
Online Content
P
Originally Posted by Kammerklang

That's the unmistakable boxy sound of a digital piano through speakers, nothing new here. I rather shoot myself in the head rather than enduring that annoying toyish sound.

K
K
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
@Kammerklang: A mic'd recording reveals something about the mic and the room and the post-processing. I don't want that.

Anyway ... few live recordings featured here are good. A poor recording spoils it for me.

These influences exist but they are vastly overrated. In fact they are not only neclectible small compared to any line out recording which fools your ears much more. They will also be filtered out: never wondered, that you can easily recognize somebody's voice in the most different surrounding?

You don't want to make use of one of the most impressive abilities of your ears and prefer that artifical line out anyway? Well then, that is ok - a lot of people prefer to be fooled.

Perhaps they also like to believe the professional cover photos. They may think every amateur's photo revealing the true faces is distorted by the cameras lens, the wrong light and all that post-processing, and so they don't want that... :-)

K
K
Originally Posted by pold
That's the unmistakable boxy sound of a digital piano through speakers, nothing new here. I rather shoot myself in the head rather than enduring that annoying toyish sound.

Agree. But unfortunately that is the way it is. The NV10S action will be fine. But the sound system is still as limited as in most of other digital too, the "improvement" doesn't impress me. And this is the reason, that I would prefer the NV5 soundwise, which doesn't try to imitate a baby grand, but seems to come much closer to a real upright. (And that reality of a toyish sound may be the reason too, that some people prefer line out recordings).

Last edited by Kammerklang; 06/09/21 04:34 PM.
P
Online Content
P
I agree but could it also be the recording which obviously wasn't professional?

When playing the NV5 at a dealer I briefly touched the NV10 next to it too and it sound-wise completely paled compared to the NV5 which surprised me considering its price tag and the fact that it has a lot more "room" for speakers. I don't remember it sounding this boxy but it was definitely thin and unconvincing. The touch was wonderful though...

August Förster upright (sold). Kawai ES8. Kawai NV5S on order.
P
Online Content
P
Originally Posted by Pianico
I agree but could it also be the recording which obviously wasn't professional?

When playing the NV5 at a dealer I briefly touched the NV10 next to it too and it sound-wise completely paled compared to the NV5 which surprised me considering its price tag and the fact that it has a lot more "room" for speakers. I don't remember it sounding this boxy but it was definitely thin and unconvincing. The touch was wonderful though...

I never tried the NV5, but I remeber when I tried the NV10. That NV10 miced demo gives a good impression of what you hear/feel live in the room: a toy. If it was recorded with a dynamic mic the sound would be better than what you hear live in the room. For the money you spend it's a joke.

Page 14 of 25 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 24 25

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,312
Posts3,118,026
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission