2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (Gene Nelson, beeboss, ando, drumour, AlphaBravoCharlie, fatar760, EssBrace, EB5AGV, DSC, 8 invisible), 1,316 guests, and 598 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Congrats Sonepica!

~Lucubrate

Bösendorfer 280VC
Steingraeber 130

“First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do.“ ~Epictetus
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by j&j
I, for one, think there are very few minor inconsistencies in upper tiered pianos. A bad S7X doesn’t leave the Yamaha factory, just like a bad Shigeru doesn’t leave the Kawai factory and certainly a bad Bosendorfer is never delivered to a dealer or never crated for delivery.

Your S7X has the capability to be the piano of your dreams.

Be overjoyed! Quit worrying!

I'm not sure this is true. The other S7X which had a phenomenal base, had a very mellow treble, which was why I couldn't consider it. This one had been on the floor for 2-3 years so it wasn't a wearing in issue. I remember someone once said on this forum that a good Steinway was a really good piano, but only 1 in 10 Steinways is really good. Perhaps he was exaggerating slightly though.

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Apparently in your long search you have yet to find the perfect piano. With the correct regulation, voicing and tuning to your expectations either S7X could come very close to what you want. Many pianists consider a new piano as a rough draft for their own piano technician to perfect to their specifications. If you had purchased a CFX, You would have been invited to the factory to give the finishing craftspeople directions on exactly what you want for your piano. Your S7X has fabulous potential.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Pianos- the reason God made trees
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
Apparently in your long search you have yet to find the perfect piano. With the correct regulation, voicing and tuning to your expectations either S7X could come very close to what you want. Many pianists consider a new piano as a rough draft for their own piano technician to perfect to their specifications.
IMO this is never a good idea since there are never a guarantee any technician can accomplish this. It's also true that some pianists are almost never able to be pleased.

I think the truth is the pianist is much more important than the piano. How many PW members can sound this good playing any piano they want? (The pianist in the video performs on a fairly run of the mill short vertical)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aei0G37R4Tw

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I don't think I'm impossible to please. I just want some intensity/energy/richness from the single string bass notes. Instead of a "ploink" sound and then a dull vibration. But like I said, I'm fairly happy with the lowest double string note. So there's probably nothing wrong with the woods used in the piano. So I'm optimistic that the strings and hammers are all that needs to change.

The other S7X had probably the most phenomenal bass I have ever heard on a 7 and a half foot piano. So I'm still optimistic...

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by j&j
Apparently in your long search you have yet to find the perfect piano. With the correct regulation, voicing and tuning to your expectations either S7X could come very close to what you want. Many pianists consider a new piano as a rough draft for their own piano technician to perfect to their specifications.
IMO this is never a good idea since there are never a guarantee any technician can accomplish this. It's also true that some pianists are almost never able to be pleased.

I think the truth is the pianist is much more important than the piano. How many PW members can sound this good playing any piano they want? (The pianist in the video performs on a fairly run of the mill short vertical)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aei0G37R4Tw

You are probably right. I guess it becomes an incredibly expensive obsession if a pianist cannot find a piano suitable for their own ear.

Thank God in Heaven I’m certainly not that picky.

J & J
[Linked Image]
D
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
D
I think the truth is the pianist is much more important than the piano.

Spot on.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by dhull100

Spot on.

I have been to a concert before where they had a pianist but not a piano. The pianist attempted to perform with only hand claps and foot stomps, and eventually resorted to entertaining the crowd with a handstand. It wasn't all it could have been.

A
A
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Originally Posted by dhull100

Spot on.

I have been to a concert before where they had a pianist but not a piano. The pianist attempted to perform with only hand claps and foot stomps, and eventually resorted to entertaining the crowd with a handstand. It wasn't all it could have been.

At least they made a start. There was a concert I attended where the pianist didn't show up. Needless to say we all went home :P

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Has anyone played a Fazioli or Bosendorfer and noted how "intense" the lowest bass notes sounded? What is that? Is it caused by higher amplitude harmonics? I'm wondering if the harmonics is what is missing from my single string bass strings currently...

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
If you have an Android phone download Spectroid and have a look at the harmonics of sample notes on the waterfall display, or do the equivalent on Apple.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Congratulations on your new Yamaha S7X!

Pics please.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
@Sonrpica
Your posts give me such sadness as you seem to be searching for ways to change your new piano rather than enjoy playing it. Can you let all these concerns go until you have been playing it longer and have had your first tech visit? Just play it and appreciate what it offers RIGHT NOW ??

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
@Sonrpica
Your posts give me such sadness as you seem to be searching for ways to change your new piano rather than enjoy playing it. Can you let all these concerns go until you have been playing it longer and have had your first tech visit? Just play it and appreciate what it offers RIGHT NOW ??

Exactly. The S series and now the SX series of Yamaha pianos are very well regarded by piano experts. Most people on the Piano Forum only dream about buying a piano like yours. Please, for your own sake, play it and learn all about it and be patient with the piano and your technician.

J & J
[Linked Image]
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
@Sonrpica

Exactly. The S series and now the SX series of Yamaha pianos are very well regarded by piano experts. Most people on the Piano Forum only dream about buying a piano like yours. Please, for your own sake, play it and learn all about it and be patient with the piano and your technician.

Wouldn’t you offer the same advice regardless of the piano that was purchased? ‘Give it time and a chance. Just enjoy’

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Just talk to your tech. I'm sure something can be done, like lacquering the hammers of the single-string bass notes. Trust me, that can create a pretty thunderous bass. My previous tech overvoiced the hammers and the bass was dead but lacquering brought it back, and it had a huge sound! Right now I'm still getting used to the new hammers having a weird soft tone when playing softly in the lower registers. I don't know if this is what "color" means but I'm not sure if I like it. But I'm going to consult with my tech when he comes. I advise you to do the same.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Of course it would be wise to be patient. Let the tech do his magic on the single wound strings and hammers and, as they bed in, reveal the rich sonorities latent in the piano.

On the other hand the OP has described a deficiency in the piano which Yamaha and their dealers have not dealt with. The bass does not sound "beautifully resonant with satisfying overtones".

FWIW spectrum analysis of the single and double wound strings in my pianos shows a similar broad range of overtones, not that I would expect them to come close to current Bosendorfers and Faziolis.

Last edited by Withindale; 06/04/21 12:24 PM.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Withindale
Of course it would be wise to be patient. Let the the single wound strings and hammers bed in and reveal the rich sonorities latent in the piano.

On the other hand the OP has described a deficiency in the piano which Yamaha and their dealers have not dealt with. The bass does not sound beautifully resonant sound with satisfying overtones.

FWIW spectrum analysis of the single and double wound strings in my pianos shows a similar broad range range of overtones, not that I would expect them to come close to current Bosendorfer ot Fazioli pianos.

And shouldn’t any problems be addressed during the tech visit? The pisno was bought ‘out of the crate’ and will need some tech polishing

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
And shouldn’t any problems be addressed during the tech visit? The pisno was bought ‘out of the crate’ and will need some tech polishing

I beg to differ. A premium piano should be properly prepared before delivery. It should sound even across its registers.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by j&j
@Sonrpica

Wouldn’t you offer the same advice regardless of the piano that was purchased? ‘Give it time and a chance. Just enjoy’

Of course I would. Depending on which piano was purchased I might be a bit less confident that the piano has the same ability to deliver outstanding results. Most people are thrilled with their brand new piano. It’s like whining about getting the perfect fit on your new Manolo’s to people wearing Dollar Store flip flops.

J & J
[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,881
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission