2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (ando, bobrunyan, coz, brdwyguy, august112, An Old Square, accordeur, ChrisGoesPiano, 36251, 14 invisible), 678 guests, and 406 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23
A
A
Ok, after 2 days of using ES520, I have a manufacturing defect.

One of the 6 rubber feet at the bottom fell off. I thought, what just happened, and did a bit of inspection. It turns out the fallen rubber foot used an incorrect screw. The screw has a much wider thread, and it's shorter than the other screws. There's a hole in the ES520 on the bottom where the plastic screw threads were torn apart, causing the hole to be much larger than the rest of the screw holes in other rubber feet, so I can't put the loose foot back in.

When you flip the piano upside down, and the keys are facing you, the loose foot is the bottom center one. 2 feet on the left, 2 feet on the right, and the foot in the top center are perfectly fine.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

While inspecting the feet, I heard some washers clanging inside. I don't suppose it would affect the keys, the key actions, and other things.

@KawaiJames, if you saw this, I would like to report this, so that other buyers won't have loose/torn screw holes.

Last edited by Asperatology; 05/16/21 07:36 PM.
P
P
I am sorry to hear this, Asperotology. I hope the warranty will work on this.

Concerning settings, I have seen a post from DMD in another thread and I tried what he said there, and that is really a nice set. Here a quote of his settings:

Originally Posted by dmd
Hi Spence,

Here are some specific menu sections that I find useful ....

1-1 Tone Control - I Set Brilliance to -5

1-3 Speaker Vol. - I set it to LOW

2-1 Touch Curve - I set it to HEAVY1

2-2 Voicing - I set it to Dynamic

These settings are the only ones I have adjusted at the moment and they have allowed me to gain control of the volume issue I was having. So, sometimes it doesn't take much.

Good Luck

Adult Beginner - Kawai ES920 - Pianoteq Standard -
G
G
Anyone using the organ patches? Been trying to tweak the settings to get a Jimmy Smith like tone, curious if someone has a set of settings they recommend

Adult beginner
Kawai ES920, Yamaha Reface CP, Sennheiser HD 599 Headphones, Behringer U-PHORIA UMC202HD Audio Interface

R
R
My ES920 arrived! Ordered it the first week of January.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Asperatology,

My apologies for this delayed response to your post.

First, I'm sorry to read that one of the rubber feet on your ES520 has become loose.

Originally Posted by Asperatology
Ok, after 2 days of using ES520, I have a manufacturing defect.
It turns out the fallen rubber foot used an incorrect screw. The screw has a much wider thread, and it's shorter than the other screws.

I checked the situation with R&D, however they confirmed that the bottom centre rubber foot is actually attached to the lower case using a different type of screw compared to the other feet. Therefore this is not a manufacturing defect, but the correct the specification.

However, the rubber foot should obviously not become loose in this way, therefore I would recommend reporting the issue to your dealer and/or Kawai America to have the cause investigated and followed-up.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Chummy
My only wish for Kawai right now is to release more sounds, as other companies often do in updates. The amount of sounds for the $ in the ES920 is very disappointing and so is the quality of the non-piano sounds.

I wish the board were self-sufficient, as there aren't any Brass/Synth Lead/ FM synth type sound presets etc. meaning I'd need a 2nd aux board which complicates the setup immensely.
I am not thrilled with the organs and the existing String/synth patches. The EPs are passable for band work. The ES920 has the potential to be a great all-around gigging board if it had the amount and quality of sounds of say a Yamaha CP88 or Nord Stage . In fact, its action, speakers, and user interface given the weight would make it superior to the former examples had it boasted the same sound set.

Couldn't agree more. While I respect and appreciate the focus Kawai puts on being piano-centric, they're all about the piano experience whether it's console or slab, they did manage with the MP7SE to provide 250 sounds, 4 zones/sounds, a hands-on front panel to make access to those zones/sounds user friendly, pitch and mod wheels as well, ALL WHILE keeping it under $2,000.

The point is, do they want the sales or not? Over at Keyboard Corner forum there are so many guys who are begging for a quality action board with a good keybed, low weight and under $2,000 price, and the speakers just add to the appeal. They are somewhat different from the mostly home-based crowd over here at PianoWorld (generalities being what they are, please forgive...). That the ES series provides all that are HUGE selling factors. I was drawn to the ES8, but would never buy it cause of the weight.

Of all the things that the MP7SE brings to the table compared to the ES series, its the paucity of onboard sounds that is the most glaring and easily fixable. If Kawai would stop placing the ES series in the mold of their consoles, with that somehow giving them the quiet dignity of simplicity and easy use, they'd see they've got a much larger market if they put out the same board but added:
1. Bread and butter sounds, enough for rock/pop/jazz gigs
2. Built-in interface with a volume knob.

Hard to say what the minimal amount of sounds would be, 100? The point being it would only need to be minimal, not expecting comprehensive. Like the MP7SE, the ES series are unique compared to their consoles, and appeal to a market otherwise lost to Kawai.

I have to admit that I fell a bit out of love with my ES920 when I looked at the MP7SE (which I did after I bought the ES920, it was never in consideration because of its weight and lack of speakers). Before buying the ES920, I was thinking that I needed a super simple board that would put the emphasis on piano so I wouldn't get distracted like I usually do with creating multis, general sound design, compelling features, and learning the board.

The ES920 delivers on that, and with the easy-to-use 2-track recorder with 10 songs and the fun and easy 2-part auto-accompaniment, as well as the generally easy-to-use interface, decent speakers and being lightweight, it accomplishes the piano board par excellence.

But truth is, I do miss having more sounds at my disposal!!!! I would love 4 sounds and zones at once, but that requires a much more extensive interface. But just adding more sounds would not require many changes to the front panel or affect the ease-of-use. (Yes, I do have an iPad with more sounds available, but I prefer to keep things simple when possible).

I can personally guarantee Kawai (yeah right) that with a decent set of bread and butter sounds in their next-generation ES boards, and a built-in interface (sends audio and midi back and forth thru 1 cable), they'd get 30% more sales.

At the moment they sit in rarefied company, at 32 and 37.5 pounds they've got little competition for boards with good action and speakers, and just the addition of more sounds and a built-in interface would propel them to the top of many lists, guaranteed (I am after all an authority of these things).

There are not many boards at these price points that tick off these all-important criteria. And while many scoff at the plastic body as being not gig-worthy, check out Keyboard Corner forum and see how many gigging players have accepted plastic body boards because of their weight savings.

Randy
Kawai ES110/ES920, Casio CT-X5000
Flute / Alto recorder / Melodica / iPad music apps
R
OP Offline
R
Sorry if I seem to be repeating myself on the subject of the ES series having more of the MP series features.

However, I assume the posts about specific models are read by Kawai, even if only Kawai James (who I trust is passing on the best of these kinds of suggestions), and in the process of writing about this I've gotten more refined in what I'm asking for.

At the outset I was wanting the feature set and front panel of the MP7SE, but the weight and speakers of the ES920.

But keeping the ES920 pretty much as it is, much ground could be gained with merely adding more voices to make the already gig-worthy ES920 a must-buy for many. A built-in interface wouldn't hurt either.

Randy

Randy
I've heard of some users reporting having their keys become noisy/clunky after a couple of weeks or so of use. Just wanted to clarify for those who are contemplating on buying the ES920 these are only a few faulty units (or certain batches of shipment) and does not plague the entire model line.

@Randyman Yup we feel exactly the same way! a built in sound card would have been SO neat of course!! heck I'd easily trade the rhythms, audio recorder and even EQ sliders just for that haha.
Still I don't regret my decision and would rebuy the ES920 today (I have it since 12/2020). I gigged with it a few times and it served me very well all through out gigs and rehearsals!!

R
OP Offline
R
@ Chummy,
Have to admit, I feel like a spoiled brat. The ES920 delivers qualities never before offered at this price point (features that matter to me at a weight I can handle), and I fall back on what it doesn't do.

I also have the Casio CT-X5000, which is a fantastic bit of kit itself for the price and weight- as much a marvel as the ES920 in its price bracket (under $500). It DOES have 4 part registrations to satisfy my sound designer tendencies as well as a Pitch wheel. It's been an absolute blast, taking a 15 pound keyboard out to jams that can really get some volume thru the onboard speakers, and then employing another dream-come-true for a live sound speaker- my JBL Eon One compact, with its 4-channel mixer, fx and built-in battery, look it up, it's right up there with these keyboards. Keyboard and speaker tech has just gotten so good, light and affordable in the last 5 years or so.

So, there it is, I'm blessed and making out like I'm deprived cause the ES920 doesn't do every thing I could ask for. Gotta practice more and complain less.

Randy
yeah but does putting 100 more sounds on a keyboard really increases price? I don't think so. This should have almost no impact on price in terms of production/development price for Kawai if they use sounds that they already recorded and developed for their other models (like MP7)
Majority of the price is in the keyboard action, the plastic case and the speakers. Other than that we are talking pocket money.

Interesting point about the Casio CT-X5000. I am looking for a mobile keyboards to take to casual parks, jams, clubs, which I play in a lot (for fun) but I fail to find such keyboard. I am looking at the CT-S1 cause it has batteries and speakers and it's small footprint (no need for stand even) but it isn't available locally so basically if I go for that one I need to order it blind (about 300$ from Thomann Europe). Now that you mention the CT-X5K, I'll be researching it and probably become torn between the two, or perhaps another option! 1st world problems lol smile

R
OP Offline
R
yeah but does putting 100 more sounds on a keyboard really increases price? I don't think so. This should have almost no impact on price in terms of production/development price for Kawai if they use sounds that they already recorded and developed for their other models (like MP7)
Majority of the price is in the keyboard action, the plastic case and the speakers. Other than that we are talking pocket money.

Once again, I agree. I do wonder though, perhaps by offering so few sounds they concentrate on top quality, something that gets harder to do when you double or triple the number of sounds.

As a business decision to capture more market share, it just doesn't make sense that they wouldn't outfit an already great board with more sounds, the one feature that would possibly add 30-50% more sales. The low weight is very compelling.

Interesting point about the Casio CT-X5000. I am looking for a mobile keyboards to take to casual parks, jams, clubs, which I play in a lot (for fun) but I fail to find such keyboard. I am looking at the CT-S1 cause it has batteries and speakers and it's small footprint (no need for stand even) but it isn't available locally so basically if I go for that one I need to order it blind (about 300$ from Thomann Europe). Now that you mention the CT-X5K, I'll be researching it and probably become torn between the two, or perhaps another option! 1st world problems lol smile

Yeah, you get the chance ck out the CT-X5000. I use a little $100 lithium battery, weighs 6 pounds and is pretty small, as the power source, totally worth it for getting all that speaker power, it really does put out a ton of decent quality volume. Overall, it's more fun than almost any board I've ever had (over 20?). 15 pounds, really decent and usable sounds, up to 4 voices, etc. and under $500.

heck, even their $200 board, the CT-X700 is surprisingly good, which I would check out if you're trying to keep it under $200. The new CT-S1 looks cool, love the pin for attaching a strap! Instant keytar. But make sure it's comparable to the CT-X700, which is a class leader for its sound and speaker quality. I had one and was blown away. It also has 700? sounds compared to 61.

Randy
V
V
It's all a matter of marketing and "optics". At the consumer or prosumer price points, the best keyboards offer dozens of tones while the more amateur keyboards offer hundreds of tones. The seriaous competition of the ES series does also do not offer hundreds of tones (well, fp90x does, but even then it is a selected few dozens and then a bunch of repurposed bank of general midi tones).

Last edited by vagfilm; 06/10/21 04:14 PM.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by vagfilm
It's all a matter of marketing and "optics". At the consumer or prosumer price points, the best keyboards offer dozens of tones while the more amateur keyboards offer hundreds of tones. The serious competition of the ES series does also do not offer hundreds of tones (well, fp90x does, but even then it is a selected few dozens and then a bunch of repurposed bank of general midi tones).

Well, I wonder how good the 250 sounds on the MP7SE are. I can't imagine Kawai would put out less than excellent sounds. My impression is they are trying to keep it simple so anyone can use the board easily, and the more features / layers / sounds you add the more likely it'll be harder to navigate and/or needing a more elaborate user interface.

My point is the ES520/920 are already so well developed and at such an attractively low weight, that Kawai missed out on a lot of sales by not putting in more sounds. I would imagine they could have been clever and figured out a way of having 3xs more sounds without having to add more buttons to the front panel.

Oh well, just saying. I find it one-sided, the companies that make these boards usually seem opaque, though we do have Kawai James and Yamaha synths has Bad Mister and a Yamaha sponsored forum.

Randy
R
OP Offline
R
And as for the number of sounds- I've had lousy low-end yamaha and casio boards for years, so when I say the new Casio CT-X series has fantastic sounds, I'm just saying they're much better overall than previous generations of cheap boards. I'm much rather have 700+ sounds that are decent to good sounds than just 61.

It looks like they simplified the whole board, the CT-X series has a lot going on, 4 voices instead of 2 and a lot more editing options-

Randy
P
P
Before having the es920, we had an old Casio keyboard with lot of sounds, rhythms, effects and hundreds of buttons. Our 5 years old son was only playing with it as a "toy", putting song, rhythms and so on. So we wanted something easy to use and won t distract us to play. The Yamaha, Roland and Kawai I tried have this. And while we are playing, we don't have a little guy that comes, attracted by all the buttons, changing the sounds...
I think these kind of boards are really good for this, and make the players to focus more, by cutting distractions.
Our son now is trying to play on it (well sometimes).
Now, you will tell me that Kawai is making some paradox by saying: it is light and then perfect for scene and not putting a lot of sounds. I can buy that argument. Although I do think, that this piano is more for "little" scenery than for huge concerts.

Adult Beginner - Kawai ES920 - Pianoteq Standard -
R
R
Has anyone gotten word on when the es920 will be in stock in the US. I’ve been watching the Kraft site looking to get the stand and bench package. They are stocking them in Europe but US sites I’ve looked at have them back ordered.

I’m guessing they are being held up by the processors?

P
pwl Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
P
At least a couple of us have just received ES920's ordered back in December. So this means a supply line has opened up - but we don't know how large the supply is nor whether all available units are already spoken for via pre-orders. Some vendors will email you when a product becomes available, and then you have to jump quickly. Another approach is to go ahead and order (get in line) - knowing you can cancel if another source opens up.

Mine has been on order (paid for upfront) since early March and last week the manager said 'he thinks' it is on the way.

M
M
I got one today at the Kawai dealer in Raleigh, NC. They had 3 come in this week. I had been waiting about 3 months.

R
OP Offline
R
Congrats! I got lucky, got mine some months ago, there just happened to be a Kawai dealership that had one on demo. No discount, but at least they had one.

Randy
Page 16 of 23 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 22 23

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bach Marcello Adagio Melody
by tjkane - 12/09/21 08:45 AM
1908 Knabe?
by beginagain - 12/09/21 12:54 AM
Piano lid material?
by Davdoc - 12/09/21 12:49 AM
Thoughts on Technics PR903
by McBuster - 12/09/21 12:46 AM
Kawai VPC-1 or Roland A88 MKII (or FP30X)?
by detektorosradio - 12/08/21 06:03 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,465
Posts3,151,724
Members103,566
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission