2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (Andrew_G, AllThingsKeyboard, Augustina, astrotoy, Amadeus M., Andy R, APianistHasNoName, Abdol, Anglagard44, 22 invisible), 1,655 guests, and 429 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
I don't know if Mr. Vonnegut actually said this, (I found in on the internet), nevertheless it is a beautiful perspective.

By Kurt Vonnegut:

“When I was 15, I spent a month working on an archeological dig. I was talking to one of the archeologists one day during our lunch break and he asked those kinds of “getting to know you” questions you ask young people: Do you play sports? What’s your favorite subject? And I told him, no I don’t play any sports. I do theater, I’m in choir, I play the violin and piano, I used to take art classes.

And he went WOW. That’s amazing! And I said, “Oh no, but I’m not any good at ANY of them.”
And he said something then that I will never forget and which absolutely blew my mind because no one had ever said anything like it to me before: “I don’t think being good at things is the point of doing them. I think you’ve got all these wonderful experiences with different skills, and that all teaches you things and makes you an interesting person, no matter how well you do them.”

And that honestly changed my life. Because I went from a failure, someone who hadn’t been talented enough at anything to excel, to someone who did things because I enjoyed them. I had been raised in such an achievement-oriented environment, so inundated with the myth of Talent, that I thought it was only worth doing things if you could “Win” at them.”

- Kurt Vonnegut

Piano teacher.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm also not sure about the attribution, but I certainly appreciate the sentiment.

For Vonnegut, there's always this, "We are here on Earth to fart around, and don’t let anybody tell you any different."

Learner
R
Online Content
R
Words to live by...

Enjoying the journey and the delicious music.
U1
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I think the perspective is spot on. It's the interest, the drive, the pursuit, the joy that makes you shine a little brighter. It's great if you can become a virtuoso pianist, but there's an awful lot of room below that for what counts as a good life at the piano.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stubbie
I think the perspective is spot on. It's the interest, the drive, the pursuit, the joy that makes you shine a little brighter. It's great if you can become a virtuoso pianist, but there's an awful lot of room below that for what counts as a good life at the piano.

Or a good life in general.

Learner
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
I recall a scene from a movie long, long ago (it was in b/w, that's how long ago) in a galaxy near, near away, where one protagonist blubbed about human 'attributes' (like war & peace (not the novel) and love and hate (not the novella) etc), whereupon the scientific guy (you can tell he's scientific because he looked scientific, wore big round glasses and had dishevelled Einsteinian hair) said testily: "We are nothing but a collection of amino acids and water!"

That's something I always remember when I start to go into Existentialism (which used to be all the rage - whatever happened to it?) or into the immense depths of profound superficialities like The Meaning of Life.........or if I start wondering why Bach didn't use the much more profoundly superficial G7aug17dim13/A# chord rather than plain G major at one point in his Goldberg Aria (- then I remember that he composed it for insomniacs, who don't appreciate superficial profundities, not even of the jazz kind).

Then I leave off trying to master Opus Clavicembalisticum's quadruple fugue and go back to playing Minuet in G thumb:

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thank you rocket88! I have read it before, and I liked it then, and I like it now.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
thumb +1 rocket. Words to live by.

Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Its All in the Game- KJarrett trans.
Gnossienne No1 E.Satie

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
E
E
Yes that's all nice and good, but you can't just change your perspective or your motivation because you've read it somewhere or because you want to. And besides, nobody wants to listen to a musician that can't play.
Kurt Vonnegut is a talented writer, that's why he writes. If I knew that my playing was awful no matter what, I would have quit long ago.
Maybe this is an eye-opener in the USA, because society is so extremely competitive.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ErfurtBob
Kurt Vonnegut is a talented writer, that's why he writes...

He hasn't been writing much since 2007 or so...at least not anything that has become available.

Learner

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Garritan with Sibelius "sound set" ?
by RinTin - 09/28/21 03:13 PM
help teaching an autistic child
by sheilaju - 09/28/21 02:33 PM
Old Kawai MP6
by johan d - 09/28/21 02:04 PM
Half Pedaling reality check
by Dore - 09/28/21 12:47 PM
Confused.
by Cutec - 09/28/21 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,335
Posts3,135,861
Members102,845
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission