2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,814 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Sebs Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Sebs
[...] Since I often start at beginning each practice session just as a quick refresher, therefore naturally it's getting more play time [...]

Bad move for a serious practice session, since you most likely don't need to practice the beginning!

Regards,
Originally Posted by bennevis
I'm probably practicing the start more than I think. Since I often start at beginning each practice session just as a quick refresher, therefore naturally it's getting more play time then sometimes my focus can be fading by the time I get to the parts that need work.

When practicing a piece, make it a point never to start from the beginning. Start by practicing what you were trying to fix on your last practice session - whether or not you actually got it fixed then. (Chances are, it would have deteriorated somewhat since then, so by starting with it, you stand a better chance of getting it properly fixed this time round.)

Once you've got used to this concept, it becomes automatic. And the parts of your pieces that need fixing get fixed a lot faster.

When you are about to finish practicing, play through the whole piece from the start, as a reward to yourself for your hard work. (Good things - like sweet deserts - come to those who wait. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Delayed gratification is the resistance to the temptation of an immediate pleasure in the certainty of obtaining a valuable and long-lasting reward in the long-term. Etc, etc.)

Agree with both! I think it's a habit I developed but never really tried to correct until now. I was always in the habit of "lets start of the session with what is almost polished/already polished as it feels easier and fun" then I get tired and do 5 min on new parts haha.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
+1 re Bennevis.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Not quite on the topic but effective openings of my improvisations are uncommon. Other people tell me otherwise but most of them strike me as weak. I don’t much like endings either but at least they are improving with age. The thing is I never know what is going to happen until I strike the first notes and by then it is too late, the juggernaut is released for better or worse.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
If one occasionally starts at the beginning of a piece and plays through it until one reaches a section one wants to spend a lot of time on, this will not necessarily mean, as some have stated, that one has played the beginning more than other sections. That depends on how many times one practices the other sections. So if one enjoys starting at the beginning, I see no problem with that as long as one doesn't do that all the time. Occasionally starting at the beginning may mean one has spent unnecessary time practicing part(s) of a piece one knows well, but most amateurs can well afford a few extra minutes of "wasted" practice time if they enjoy the experience.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/02/21 07:12 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
If one occasionally starts at the beginning of a piece and plays through it until one reaches a section one wants to spend a lot of time on, this will not necessarily mean, as some have stated, that one has played the beginning more than other sections. That depends on how many times one practices the other sections. So if one enjoys starting at the beginning, I see no problem with that as long as one doesn't do that all the time. Occasionally starting at the beginning may mean one has spent unnecessary time practicing part(s) of a piece one knows well, but most amateurs can well afford a few extra minutes of "wasted" practice time if they enjoy the experience.

I believe you are missing the point: a lot of beginners have the habit of starting at the beginning every time they sit down to practice the piece. The habit needs to be broken, and then they can start deciding on when it is appropriate. The problem is that progress in the piece becomes very lopsided, and the piece may be abandoned as so much time had been spent ‘working on it’ (but playing from the beginning). We all get Prostrated if we don’t see progress but yet you’re not really going to see progress if you just go through the parts that are In good shape

Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

I believe you are missing the point: a lot of beginners have the habit of starting at the beginning every time they sit down to practice the piece. The habit needs to be broken, and then they can start deciding on when it is appropriate. The problem is that progress in the piece becomes very lopsided, and the piece may be abandoned as so much time had been spent ‘working on it’ (but playing from the beginning). We all get Prostrated if we don’t see progress but yet you’re not really going to see progress if you just go through the parts that are In good shape
Not at all. I was very careful to say "occasionally starts at the beginning", "doesn't do it all the time", etc. I certainly never suggested only going through the parts in good shape. It's definitely true that sometimes starting from the beginning will not necessarily mean, as some have stated, that one has played the beginning more than other sections. For a very young student or pianist of any age without too much self control or the ability to judge which passages need work, specifically telling them not to start at the beginning once that part is learned could be beneficial, but for most others I don't think it's necessary. There's a very wide gulf between always starting at the beginning and never starting at the beginning once that part is learned.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/02/21 10:02 AM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
One thing that has helped me is to memorize from the end. So I memorize the last line or measure, then back up one and play to the end, etc. That way as I play from memory, my confidence in the piece just gets stronger.

Another tip--this one from "Playing the Piano for Pleasure"--is to take those difficult or weak spots and totally break them down. I will find the heart of the difficult spot, then play those two beats until they are perfect. Then I back up one beat and go further one beat. I know this deliberate practice drives some people crazy (especially those listening to me), but I find it totally engrossing to play these places over and over until all hesitancy is lost.

This definitely works for me when jumping from one part of the keyboard to another. One teacher told me he could hear that slight hesitation as I was about to land, so I needed to just land anywhere and then adjust. This worked for me. I eventually stopped the hesitation and found the right notes on the first try.

Finally, writing down what I do makes a huge difference. I end every practice session with a note about what I want to do the next day. That way I am not tempted to start at the beginning to see what the problems are; I just go to my notebook and start where I told myself to.

Estonia 168
Online Content
Originally Posted by NancyM333
One thing that has helped me is to memorize from the end. So I memorize the last line or measure, then back up one and play to the end, etc. That way as I play from memory, my confidence in the piece just gets stronger.
But couldn't one argue that this would mean your confidence nearer the beginning is weaker?

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Rickster
Not sure this is relevant, but I think it is to some extent. My oldest son is an exceptional blues/rock guitarist and has his own blues band. I've heard him play in public many times, and he's let me play my digital piano with him a few times.

One thing I've noticed about his performances is his beginnings and endings. They are clean, crisp, concise, calculated, organized and well polished.
Rick

I think this is relevant and here is why. If you can play the first 4 or 8 bars of a piece musically and beautifully, that will help give you confidence as you proceed further into the piece. The importance of nailing the beginning and ending of pieces was brought to my attention by an article in Pianist a few years ago and has been reinforced by a teacher I see every year for a week. If you are performing - even if it is for your amateur piano buddies - it it important to grab their attention at the beginning and finish with a flourish.

That is not to say that all the bars in between should not be polished too. But, if I’m planning to perform a piece I spend a lot of time on those opening bars, recording myself and then refining.

Online Content
I think all bars of a piece are important. To me, placing greater emphasis on the beginning and end sounds somewhat amateurish.

P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
I think all bars of a piece are important. To me, placing greater emphasis on the beginning and end sounds somewhat amateurish.

I disagree. All bars are important, but the opening and closing bars are extra- important.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW

I disagree. All bars are important, but the opening and closing bars are extra- important.

Actually I have received the ‘beginning and ‘ending’ advice more than once from professional, highly educated pianists.

Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW

Actually I have received the ‘beginning and ‘ending’ advice more than once from professional, highly educated pianists.
And my three teachers were all highly educated professional pianists and never said the beginning and ending bars are more important.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/03/21 01:48 PM.
B
B
There are two golden rules for an orchestra: start together and finish together. The public doesn't give a damn what goes on in between. - Sir Thomas Beecham

If music be the food of love, play on!
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
…if it helps, in my recent feedback from my performance exam, the examiner noted on number of pieces how s/he loved the way I ended the piece. It wasn’t something I was that focused on, but going forward..it will be! Yes, the last measures are important.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission