2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (alexii, bob@pei, astrotoy, aomarzu, danno858, BillS728, Anglagard44, 15 invisible), 696 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
But . . . .
Small room, not big enough for an upright due to the volume usually emitted by such an instrument.
However, in the past, I've always enjoyed playing smaller (spinet) uprights which seem to have an even response albeit lacking in the fuller bass tones.

The Yamaha B1 is as small as they come; plays pleasantly and, possossing of a non Spruce soundboard, is less prone to tuning frequirements. It is nowhere near as loud as a Kawai k300, but has a better dynamic range in my opinion. And it comes with Silent mode facility which I would need.
It also has a sloping front, which gives it a contemporary feel. All the pianos I've played with sloping fronts have been good ones and they look nice.
Now I realise that last statement doesn't sound too intelligent, and, well, I'm never gonna make it to "Young pianist of the Year" on two counts.
It'd be interesting to hear if anybody has had any dealings or thoughts on this little piano. Its characteristics seem to be tailored to perhaps, beginners, or . . . those with a small room to put it in. But it'd be darned nice to have a real piano to play. And one that isn't too loud!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
The B1 is an entry level piano, no doubt. It will not have the breadth of sound that a larger piano will naturally have, but when it is well prepped and well regulated this piano can make music. It is designed to not dominate a space in terms of size and it looks quite nice as well. The one downside is that because this is an entry level piano, some retailers do not bother to put a little work into improving this little beast. Frankly, when the work is done, it can shine.

Since you are also getting the silent mode, you might enjoy this video on the model:

Good luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
How small is the room? During grad school I used to play in piano practice rooms on campus, and I found I could not stand to play the uprights in super small rooms because after even a short practice session, it was so loud and the sound was so much in my face that my ears would just ring for the rest of the day. On the other hand, the smaller grands that were in practice rooms were always better because even though the piano was larger, the sound goes up more, and of course a lot of the rooms were just a little bit larger to accommodate those grands, and maybe the volume was easier to control (not sure about that and it's been a few years). But anyway, the point is, a small upright in a super small room can still be hard to handle...

You should be fine with the silent option though!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If there is reverberating sounds in a very small room this could happen with a small grand or an upright.Sounds flying back in one's face around one's head is something not experienced by everyone.Perhaps the uprights I have played have all been well spaced away from the wall and there has been the right furnishing in the room.
I once attended a concert and mainly students and amateur pianists performed.The hall had truly terrible accoustics.It sounded as though everyone held down the sustaining pedal contually.All the sounds and colors were mashed together.
I later found out that no it was not the piano nor the performers, it was the accoustics of the church hall.
Perhaps the Yamaha B1 will work out well.I have heard the B2
is rather nice as well.Another problem about a very small room is that there may not be enough space for a piano technician to work on the piano if it is a grand.

Last edited by tre corda; 05/31/21 06:30 PM.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I forgot to mention the piano in that concert was a nice Yamaha grand.I thought I should just mention that.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
I won't be doin' any concerts . . . . . smile but the minimalistic B1 is super good-looking to me at least. I can never understand why it doesn't also house the more expensive digitals . . .
My room is approx 12 by 10. Nice home office space.

"[Linked Image]"
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by peterws
I won't be doin' any concerts . . . . . smile but the minimalistic B1 is super good-looking to me at least. I can never understand why it doesn't also house the more expensive digitals . . .
My room is approx 12 by 10. Nice home office space.

My room is a little smaller at 12x9 but does have quite a large bay window so the total area is probably much the same. In it we first had a big Yamaha U3 and now have an even larger 53" Kawai K800 and do not find it over loud at all (although you can clearly hear it almost anywhere in the house :-). Having a sensible balance of reflective and absorbent sound surfaces in the room is I believe more important than either the size of the piano or the size of the room itself. That is within sensible limits of course - stuffing a large grand into a broom cupboard wouldn't be a marriage made in heaven.

Why is it that you think your room would only take a small piano?

j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
FWIW - I grew up with and learned on a 1962 Story & Clark 42” console with a vaguely “colonial” oak styled cabinet. I liked it. My mother loved it. It served our family well. It was the ‘60’s version of the B1. If that’s what you want, go buy it and enjoy it.

Normally I would recommend a used U1 but it is rather plain looking. Best Wishes.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
Two suggestions….

1) get a nice pair of earplugs. My room was really bad acoustically, and these helped a LOT. Piano sounded much clearer, they eliminated the extra reverb. Mine were $15 on ebay and even now that I have corrected my acoustic issues, I still use them sometimes.

2) That style of piano sometimes has a tendency to tip forward. Make sure it’s stable, ESPECIALLY if there are children around.

It’s not all that small of a room. Enjoy your piano.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I popped into the shop today on my bike; they have a silent B1 now; it was tucked into a corner similarly to the space I'd place it at home.
It looked a million dollars in polished ebony and sounded very good; I played my stuff on it nicely. Action felt a tad heavier than my digital but my main concern was the noise. It rang out! Yes! A great sound! But still, just too loud.
It wasn't as loud as Kawai's k150, which had a better action, or the B200 which had a lovely action.
Probably quieter than the large upright I had at home, too, many years ago. I guess my perception has changed.
The sound came at me, from all these pianos, like a wall. You could hear it through the woodwork, the piano was a total sound-chamber and it's an experience I enjoyed very much..
I'll give it some more thought. And have a chat with 'er indoors!

Last edited by peterws; 06/01/21 03:40 PM.

"[Linked Image]"
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Be aware that acoustic pianos are all loud, massively, shockingly loud compared to the rather feeble speakers and amplifiers in a typical DP especially if you have become used to playing a DP with the volume turned down, or are comparing a real acoustic instrument with recordings.

This is a problem everyone faces when they start playing an acoustic but, really, it generally isn't a problem at all as you quite rapidly develop the touch to control that acoustic piano and produce the volume you want. You may also find that a larger better quality piano, even though it is capable of playing much louder than a small one, is also capable of playing quieter than that small piano as well.

peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Unfortunately the adjoining wall is not soundproof; now, whilst I'm able to play the digital reasonably loud due to the size and design of my super-massive music stand, an acoustic might well be several decibels too many for the Wise and Wonderful One who graces me with her presence. . .

"[Linked Image]"
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
The Wise and Wonderful One will appreciate the silent mode and you might appreciate buying some acoustic tile for the adjoining wall. Best Wishes!

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by j&j
The Wise and Wonderful One will appreciate the silent mode and you might appreciate buying some acoustic tile for the adjoining wall. Best Wishes!

Involving such a Wise and Wonderful One in the choice of pianos and the subsequent purchase of piano lessons can also be a good alternative to acoustic insulation :-)

Last edited by gwing; 06/03/21 01:00 PM.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by gwing
Originally Posted by j&j

Involving such a Wise and Wonderful One in the choice of pianos and the subsequent purchase of piano lessons can also be a good alternative to acoustic insulation :-)

Could one not acoustically insulate (isolate?) the Wise and Wonderful One?

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
peterws Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by j&j

Cheers!

Such wonderful thoughts! I'd already threatened her with a Sainsbury's bag over her head for tellin' me how to drive the car . . . .(she was with the Police once)

"[Linked Image]"
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by j&j

Cheers!

Such wonderful thoughts! I'd already threatened her with a Sainsbury's bag over her head for tellin' me how to drive the car . . . .(she was with the Police once)
???

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just a suggestion include your wife in your music making activities more.Take her with you to buy the piano.She may just feel isolated. Many do now especially with Covid. Music can help bring us together.Best wishes on your new piano!

Last edited by tre corda; 06/04/21 01:25 PM.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Questions regarding Regulation
by rickshapiro - 05/23/22 11:17 AM
Laptop Holder Advice - Korg Grandstage
by skelly - 05/23/22 11:09 AM
A fairly rare digital sensor mechanism
by Gombessa - 05/22/22 10:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,192
Posts3,193,871
Members105,345
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission