2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
48 members (barbaram, beeboss, Anglagard44, Calavera, Dave Horne, clothearednincompo, CraiginNZ, 8opus, 12 invisible), 1,354 guests, and 481 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Aritempor
Originally Posted by CaseyVancouver
For me it’s a Broadwood grand.
Quote: ‘Broadwood pianos that make it to the USA are wrecks brought over in containers in the 60s and 70s and sold by piano vultures to naive mothers on the strength of the candelabra, the fine wood and the fancy English nameboards while inside they are neglected, with dried up glue joints, bad tuning pin blocks and trashed actions.’ Lol. Evidently they do very well if they stay in damp wet cold GB.

I personally am coming around to the idea of a nice Broadwood barless semiconcert grand in an art case. If I could find one I would probably snap it up in a jiffy. After all, they sold for more than the European/Steinway pianos did in their heyday and I know some of that might have been national pride but they had to be good to command those prices. The nice thing about this project is there's no rush. The kids have a great piano to play on and I have all the time in the world to do the one piano right!

A good choice! Broadwood Barless grands are fantastic pianos. I have had the luck to encounter two of them.

The first was in the Colt Collection in Bethersden, Kent. The Colt collection consisted of over a hundred very early pianos. Mr Colt collected them in the 1950s through to the 1970s; then unfortunately he died, leaving the collection in the ownership of a Trust as a sort of Sleeping Beauty, which could be visited by arrangement, but rarely was. The Broadwood Barless was a concert grand of nearly nine feet, in a rosewood case on turned legs. Dating from 1889, it was a relative youngster in the collection. I played it briefly on a visit to the collection. It had a wonderful rich enveloping tone. A magnificent instrument. When the collection was sold in 2018, the Barless was estimated at £1000 to £1800; the actual realised price was just £620! A wonderful buy for whoever bought it.

This is the link to the catalogue entry.

[Linked Image]

Piano Auctions Ltd runs a quarterly auction in London. Their September 2020 sale included a Broadwood Barless. This was special in several ways - it was an "art-case" piano, with the case in panelled oak designed by the famous British architect Edwin Lutyens (who designed the Cenotaph in London). And in addition, it had been meticulously restored. I played Haydn and Schubert on it at the viewing for the sale, and it was absolutely gorgeous both in its sound and its looks. I would have been very tempted to bid if (a) I had any room for it, and (b) the estimated price had not been £40,000 to £50,000. As things turned out at the sale, there was not a single bid, and the piano was not sold. It reappeared in the December auction, with an estimate of £18,000 to £22,000 - in other words, the reserve had been reduced. But the piano remained unsold. I would expect that very likely, it is still available. So, Aritempor, perhaps you should make an offer...

This is the link to the original catalogue entry.

[Linked Image]

A
OP Offline
A
It's a nice piano but the art case is a little sedate imo. I guess if I'm going to pull the trigger on a second hand I'd want it to be something I was completely bowled over with. Half the fun is looking though smile

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Handsome cases!

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,311
Posts3,118,013
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission