2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 36251, bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 7 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3113377 05/03/21 10:01 PM
D
OP Offline
D
I know this thread probably already exists, but I couldn’t find it.

Today I got my Yamaha ydp-164 (good buy? Been through dozens of reviews and comparisons which kind of mind my mind upset lol. It was eventually lol)
Anyway, I’m not completely new to the piano. I’ve played the piano 10 years ago as a kid and folowed lessons from a private teacher. Now I’m so happy i’ve started playing again.

The only thing is I don’t know where to start. The internet is full of tutorial videos, sheet music, online lesson programs ect. I want to learn actual songs on the piano (mixure of pop, modern piano songs and some classic) so I don’t want to accompany myself for singing or so. I know getting a piano teacher is the ultimate way to go, but since the piano was rather expensive on my budget, and my life schedule isn’t really on point yet that is not a possibility for me at the moment. (Later on I want to consider getting a teacher tho). So what would be the best path to go learning?

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Now is not the best time to get a teacher because many places are in lockdown. I have lessons with a teacher once a week through Zoom. No 1-on-1 lessons for at least a few more months.

I don’t use online learning programs so other people will be able to tell you about “Piano Marvel”, “Simply Piano” or “Playground Sessions”.

If you want an online teacher, I follow Tim on YouTube: Piano Lessons on the Web

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Maybe consider:
- What are your skills so far?
- What is your goal?
- What is currently stopping you from reaching your goal?
- Is there any chance you might have or might yet learn any bad technique and how to prevent that?

So, if the goal is "I want to learn actual songs on the piano (mixure of pop, modern piano songs and some classic) so I don’t want to accompany myself for singing or so." then you probably for example:
- Don't want to learn accompanying on the piano and can ignore resources covering that (though they might still have some relevant music theory)
- Should be able to read music notation and if not that could be one of the goals

But then what does "Playing pop" mean?

Do you want to take a pre-existing piano arrangement of a song and learn to play as arranged by someone else? Then fluency with sheet music and sight reading would be important skills.

What if you only have the melody and chord markings? What to do with those? Then you'd need to learn what to do with the left hand. (And maybe add some harmony notes with the right hand too.) That then partly falls into the "accompanying" territory as those resources might have ideas for turning chord markings into something useful.

And a good grasp of music theory would also help, so you'll instantly know what notes belong to what chord and how do chord inversions work etc.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
In your situation, I would start with trying to find a tutorial for a piece that I would like to learn. Preferably, a tutorial that has some explanations, and is not just playing slowly through a piece. From there, probably issues will come up and then you can go look for specific videos about that.
Alternatively, you make a list of teachers who have lots of piano tutorials for free, for instance Ilinca Vartic with PCA, Graham Fitch with Pianist magazine, Allysia with Piano tv, Lets Play Piano Methods, Josh Wright Piano, etc etc. Listen to a couple of videos of each of them and decide which teacher appeals to you most, and start following their lessons.

Succes ermee! smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
C
C
If you have already play, and if you can read a Sheet, forget the tutorial on youtube. I think it is important that you try to play by reading and understand a MusicSheet.

As you noticed, there are a lot on the Internet. My advice to find the music sheet you want : try to find a video / tutorial with the music sheet with key word as "easy piano cover" for instance. If it seems faisable / reachable for you, download the sheet and try to read and play it. If you need any Help, the video / tutorial is there.

I will always encourage to learn by reading the Music and have the support of a video / tutorial if need only.

the most important: be patient smile

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Sheet music is much more accessible online than before. In the beginning most people prefer to have some instructions than just deciphering sheet music without help. For someone who hasn't played for a while, it's easy to get notes or counting wrong.

Online instructions don't have to be directly related to the piece you're working. Suppose you see dots on some notes (staccato playing) you can find a video on staccato and learn to play them properly. I still watch YouTube tutorials on playing techniques (the best fingerings, dynamics using the pedals, etc.) & music theory even when reading notes is not an issue.

There are several YouTube channels I watch regularly including Pianonote, Robert Estrin at Living Pianos, Music Matters. The last is NiceChord. The music teacher from Taiwan teaches everything from the basics to advance music theory in Chinese (sorry, no English translations).

M
M
building a good foundation is a key and Youtube is a plus. In my opinion, online courses are good to start but eventually, you will need a teacher. there is a cool site I stubbed upon and it's really informative for beginner & intermediate. Give it a try and wish luck in your journey!
https://bit.ly/pianovibe9

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You'll get lots of answers, opinions, and advice.

But here is one basic thing you should do:

1) Apply seat of pants to piano bench.
2) Play piano.
3) repeat every day.

A good practice habit and persistence is key, whichever method you choose. Don't let the keys get dusty...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I'd recommend Piano Marvel for your situation, you'll love it. If you don't like it, you can get your money back, it's like $15 a month. Worth it.

I don't use it any more because it doesn't help me as much with where I am right now, but I am a uuuuuuge fan.

edit: and I'd 2x or 3x Sam's suggestion of applying the buttocks to the bench liberally. Welcome to the cult.

Last edited by hawgdriver; 05/27/21 07:41 PM.

Only in men's imagination does every truth find an effective and undeniable existence. Imagination, not invention, is the supreme master of art as of life. -Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski
I purchased lessons from Tim at Piano Lessons on the Web Learned a lot. Lessons are on video, although he is doing a live beginners class now on YouTube.

Also, Allysia at Pianotv.net is good. She has a free lesson on a Chopin piece. She runs classes every few months.

The others mentioned in above threads are good too. Good luck.

Like the man said..back side on bench daily!

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
To sum it up:
Use Piano Marvel to advance in reading music.
Watch Ilinca Vartic and others for technique advice.
Watch YouTube tutorials for pieces and song arrangements that you want to play.
Visit this forum regularly! wink

And if you're serious about music I strongly recommend you to train your ears every day for at least 10 minutes and learn theory for 5-10 minutes. Aside from other great benefits it will eventually allow you to make your own arrangements.

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
In my opinion the best way forward is to get an instructor. I suggest you contact a conservatory that offers private piano.

Best of luck to you! tot ziens and viel Gluck. Steve

Bösendorfer 170
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
In my opinion the best way forward is to get an instructor. I suggest you contact a conservatory that offers private piano.

Best of luck to you! tot ziens and viel Gluck. Steve

Per his initial post, a teacher is not a possibility at the moment

J
J
Apart from great recommendations on methods, my advice is simple: keep at it. do it every day. don't give up. take small chunks to learn at a time. before you know it, you are making progress. Good luck!

Started piano studies at age 55.The journey is more important than the result.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Coluscio
the most important: be patient smile
Originally Posted by Sam S
You'll get lots of answers, opinions, and advice.

But here is one basic thing you should do:

1) Apply seat of pants to piano bench.
2) Play piano.
3) repeat every day.

A good practice habit and persistence is key, whichever method you choose. Don't let the keys get dusty...
Originally Posted by JDHMD
Apart from great recommendations on methods, my advice is simple: keep at it. do it every day. don't give up. take small chunks to learn at a time. before you know it, you are making progress. Good luck!

The best advice.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission