2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
78 members (Bett, anotherscott, brdwyguy, c++, accordeur, 36251, antune, 13 invisible), 968 guests, and 443 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I'm very hesitant to attempt a diagnosis under these conditions ... wink

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheophilusCarter
I'm very hesitant to attempt a diagnosis under these conditions ... wink

Good idea to refrain from arm chair diagnosis 🙄

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
When a great improviser plays it comes from a place apart from the conscious mind. Depressed or ecstatic makes not much difference in this place. It is a place of feeling, not “feelings”. Bird, Monk, Powell... even Coltrane. Geniuses at feeling.

I read this thread with the same ghoulish “feelings” most of us have when interested in seeing greats as flawed personalities. Those feelings of schadenfreude are the flaw in the personality. You may say there is some scientific interest in comparing him to out of this world geriatrics, but it is a cruel comparison with no inherent value. Frankly, it’s bs and misdirects understanding where the real greatness comes from.

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
IosPlayer[quote]

Frankly, it’s bs and misdirects understanding where the real greatness comes from
Well said nobody before and nobody after had such a harmonic impact on piano playing my personal feelings

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dpvjazz
IosPlayer[quote]

Frankly, it’s bs and misdirects understanding where the real greatness comes from
Well said nobody before and nobody after had such a harmonic impact on piano playing my personal feelings

I am in total agreement with you. My personal feelings as well.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
My piano teacher knew one of Evans' drummers, who told her it was amazing just to listen to those chords every night.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
Originally Posted by IosPlayer
I read this thread with the same ghoulish “feelings” most of us have when interested in seeing greats as flawed personalities.
I think your thoughts about feelings you think most of us have are incorrect. Especially the idea that asking this question or talking about the topic of this thread is an example of schadenfreude.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/26/21 02:15 PM.
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Here's a picture of me playing my DP-603:

[Linked Image]

Ugh, I'm so depressed ... wink

In some seriousness, I agree about the schadenfreude thing, at least for some people. For other people, I think it's the exact opposite but no less problematic: a weird fetishization of mental illness or atypical neurology. Both squick me right out ...

OP Online Content
In some seriousness, I agree about the schadenfreude thing, at least for some people. For other people, I think it's the exact opposite but no less problematic: a weird fetishization of mental illness or atypical neurology.
Or it could be easily be neither of those.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
In some seriousness, I agree about the schadenfreude thing, at least for some people. For other people, I think it's the exact opposite but no less problematic: a weird fetishization of mental illness or atypical neurology.
Or it could be easily be neither of those.

Or it could be both. wink

EDIT: Sorry, I'm being goofy. I blame my afternoon whiskey ... laugh

Last edited by TheophilusCarter; 05/26/21 03:01 PM.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
So what is your purpose Pianolover?

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

Joining this late, but my opinion, is that in answer to the original posters question the answer is probably no. As many have pointed out Bill Evans life (and luck) was a mess. So I think the reverse may have been true. He was probably happiest when he was playing.

And this opinion is perhaps supported by the fact that Evans continued playing (very well) until only a matter of days before he was finally omitted to Hospital and then passed away.

In the end music was all he had left :-(

All that said it's just an opinion, I make no claims to be an expert.
I've read one biography.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)
Pearl Midtown Drums

OP Online Content
I already explained it a few times. It dawned on me that Evan's head position resembled some elderly wheelchair patients in rehab facilities and nursing homes. Not at all like most pianists who play with their head close to the keys. Since I think many of those patients are depressed, I was simply curious if Evans was depressed. It was simple curiosity and any posters imagining it was something else are just plain wrong.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
I already explained it a few times. It dawned on me that Evan's head position resembled some elderly wheelchair patients in rehab facilities and nursing homes. Not at all like most pianists who play with their head close to the keys. Since I think many of those patients are depressed, I was simply curious if Evans was depressed. It was simple curiosity and any posters imagining it was something else are just plain wrong.

How have you reached the conclusion that the head position is due to depression? Aren’t there numerous medical explanations other than depression?

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin

OP Online Content
Originally Posted by dogperson

How have you reached the conclusion that the head position is due to depression? Aren’t there numerous medical explanations other than depression?

I used common sense.

Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
8000 Post Club Member

I used common sense.

Your common sense was faulty. You leaped to a cause that is not supported medically.

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
JD Salinger spent half a century protecting his right to privacy. I think Evans would have desired the same separation of work and art, Pianolover.

You say you are simply curious. Well, now I am curious if you are depressed and hang your head... you know,one of those hypothetical “my friend does such and such”. Do I have the right to ask you, on a public forum, if you are and do?

Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
OP Online Content
JD Salinger spent half a century protecting his right to privacy. I think Evans would have desired the same separation of work and art, Pianolover.

You say you are simply curious. Well, now I am curious if you are depressed and hang your head... you know,one of those hypothetical “my friend does such and such”. Do I have the right to ask you, on a public forum, if you are and do?
Of course you don't and you know you don't.

Bill Evans is a public figure and is deceased. There have been countless books written about him indicating he had a major drug problem and was depressed during at least some points in his life. These books deal with things far more personal than my question. There were numerous replies to my question that just tried to answer it without suggesting my question was inappropriate. Your equating my question about Evans with asking me a personal question is beyond ridiculous.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/27/21 09:29 AM.
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

Of course you don't and you know you don't.

Bill Evans is a public figure and is deceased. There have been countless books written about him indicating he had a major drug problem and was depressed during at least some points in his life. These books deal with things far more personal than my question. There were numerous replies to my question that just tried to answer it without suggesting my question was inappropriate. Your equating my question about Evans with asking me a personal question is beyond ridiculous.

Agree! This is some ridiculous comparison and makes no sense. If that's the case then no one should ask any questions, write books, or do any poking into the life of a public figure.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai upright shortage in Canada?
by DeeZee - 09/19/21 05:55 PM
Korg SV-1 Sustain Pedal problem
by Herwiberde - 09/19/21 02:46 PM
JoJo Siwa's Baldwin grand
by ShiroKuro - 09/19/21 01:50 PM
Opinions on the CA49 for classical piano music only ?
by GaiaImpact - 09/19/21 01:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,192
Posts3,133,587
Members102,770
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission