2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (Beansparrow, An Old Square, AprilE, accordeur, Bostonmoores, 36251, anotherscott, Abdol, 7 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3121351 05/24/21 02:47 PM
A
OP Offline
A
Yes, I know that the FP-90X is aimed for portability and the DP603 isn't, but the 90X is also currently the cheapest PHA-50 option there is.

I am trying to decide on a new PHA-50 unit, exclusively for home use, and these two fall within my budget. I would be getting the pedal bar and matching stand to go with the FP-90X, so they are pretty much neck to neck in terms of out-the-door pricing. This would be a sight-unseen purchase. I can't find the DP-603 on the floor anywhere, let alone side by side the FP-90X for a better comparison.

Some assumptions I can make, and please correct me if any are inaccurate:

FP90X:

1. Newer production unit - Updated PHA-50 mechanics? Updated BT connectivity/reliability?
2. Meant to be moved around - Better, and sturdier, build quality?
3. Better external studio monitor compatibility - Not an audiophile but I believe "balanced" outputs, which the FP-90X has and the DP-603 doesn't, play nicer with studio monitors. I plan on relying on the internal speakers but future expandability is always a good option to have I guess.

DP-603:

1. Arguably slicker looking (for home-use). Bonus points for integrated keyboard cover
2. Better speaker resonance due to cabinet?

The DP-603 has two speakers of 30W each while the FP-90X has two 25W speakers + two 5W twitters. Does this mean "richer" sound on the FP-90X or just better sounding highs?

Based on the above, I am leaning only slightly towards the FP-90X. I would greatly appreciate if anyone had any additional insights regarding the two that can help me make a decision.

Thank you!

P
P
I own a fp-90x but no experience for DP-603.

1) PHA-50 is good on fp-90x but i guess it is the same for DP-603.
2) Bluetooth is reliable, did not see any problem in the 2 months.
3) 23kg is easier to move, but you will feel heavier because it is difficult to hold.
4) build quality is super, no doubt. I will suggest to get a white one.
5) interfacing are easy and flexible.

If you liked to have a piano-like look with a built-in cover, and if you want to have 3 pedals, pick DP-603.
if you preferred a midi-console look and place it before the TV (as I did), and is ok with only one pedal, FP-90x is your choice.

Piano beginner at 50yrs old
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
There's a difference in the piano sound engine. The FP90X has the newer one.

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
I don't think the key action is different.
The FP90X has new USB audio in/out.
And the newer PA sound engine - but the opinions over the Roland sound remain divided, this does not appear to be a game changer.
I think they both have two 1/4" TR jack outputs for external amplification, unbalanced.
Not sure about the DP603, but most Roland furnitures sound better than the FP90, due to better speakers and their placement. The "sleek" DP603 probably has down-facing speakers, not best, and may not work well with a carpet underneath. Check also HP605, HP704.
The FP90 speakers are not weak, but the sound is way better over Sennheiser headphones than over built-in speakers. Also some other earphones don't work so well.

_sem_ #3121429 05/24/21 07:16 PM
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by _sem_
The "sleek" DP603 probably has down-facing speakers ...

It does not. They are front-facing. They are in the speaker bar that goes across the sides of the stand, under the keys.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
P
P
FP-90X has newer sound engine (same as on the LX series), DP-603 is an older engine - same as on HP-704.
FP-90 has unbalanced outputs, i do not believe FP-90X outputs are balanced, but you can email Roland and ask them.
DP-603 has a lid and FP series need a dust cover to protect a keyboard, but unless you can compare them side-by-side and tell which one is better, the newer FP-90X is probably a safer bet and is easier to resell (newer and more popular model) if you decide you need something better down the road.

Roland HP-507RW | Yamaha U1 | Roland FP-90
T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by personne
The newer FP-90X is probably a safer bet and is easier to resell (newer and more popular model) if you decide you need something better down the road.

That's a good point. Also, in my limited anecdotal experience, portables are a bit easier to sell than consoles. Take that for what's it's worth - which isn't much ..

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
A
OP Offline
A
Thanks all for the valuable input! I did not know that the sound engine on the F-90X was newer, even though, arguably, not necessarily better from what you are telling me.

I am now potentially considering the HP-704. Speakers wise, it seems like its better than the other two. Does anyone know if the HP-704 has the updated sound engine?

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
The HP-704 has "SuperNATURAL Piano Modeling" and "PureAcoustic Piano Modeling" in e.g. the FP-90X is Roland's latest and greatest.

D
D
I've had the DP603 for about 3 years and have been happy with it. I only use the concert piano setting, strictly stationary at home and usually with headphones. I preferred the more solid cabinetry, with cover, over the other more portable options.

xxxxoooo
_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
Originally Posted by Amiro555
I am now potentially considering the HP-704. Speakers wise, it seems like its better than the other two. Does anyone know if the HP-704 has the updated sound engine?

No, that'd be the LX705. I think you can look up piano sound samples and try to tell the difference using some quality headphones. Mind this won't tell much about the sound over the built-in speakers, and that you will probably get quite different sound with another headphones.

P
Online Content
P
Originally Posted by Amiro555
Thanks all for the valuable input! I did not know that the sound engine on the F-90X was newer, even though, arguably, not necessarily better from what you are telling me.

To my ear only comparing videos, the pure acoustic is better. From what I’ve read most people think that. I haven’t heard anyone say it is worse.

I believe the comment was in regards to Rolands modeling technology in general.

If you don’t like the supernatural modeling, you probably won’t like pure acoustic either.

FP-90x, PX-330
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
With the modeled sound of Roland you really can't judge by listening to videos IMHO. I actually preferred the HP704 to the LX705. Now the LX708 with the speaker set up was nice. I haven't got a chance to play a FP90X so who knows what I might like. Roland's modeled sound seems to benefit a great deal upon the speakers. At least it seems that way to me.

Peace

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
P
Online Content
P
I have the fp-90x and I agree speakers are hard to judge from videos,

But I think you can hear from the line out recordings the differences in sound engines and make some judgement from that.

As far as the difference in sound out of the speakers there are a lot of factors involved with that including the room.

Even going out and trying pianos can be hit and miss as just having them in different parts of the show room can make a difference and honestly who really knows how they have been configured?

And frankly I think all sound making things that are electronic are very speaker dependent.

Last edited by Purdy; 05/27/21 12:11 PM.

FP-90x, PX-330
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Points taken Purdy smile

How is the FP-90X user interface?

P
Online Content
P
It’s a mix of good no bad. Typical digital piano. I can’t figure out why they wasted a button on the my stage which is just settings of the ambience by different names?

Like the sliders. Roland recess buttons are nice and lighted. The piano designer app is ok but piano everyday could use some work.

All the Bluetooth and usb stuff seems to work fine. Easy to create midi, play back record, etc.

It would be nice to have a shortcut to local on off. Maybe I can create a registration.

Second and third pedal are handy for bending, etc. Someday I might even figure out how to use the registrations and create a piano, ep, and organ setting to cycle through with the pedals.

There is a master volume setting in the piano everyday app but I can’t find it in the menus of the piano. I assume in the piano designer that when they talk about setting he volume to match a preset this is what they are talking about?

Like I said good and bad. wink

FP-90x, PX-330
E
EPW Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
I do have to give some Props to Kawai with the MP7/MP7SE models when I got to play them. They did a great job laying stuff out. Of course now it doesn't have speakers and with Kawai not making audio interfaces I don't think they will have a built in audio interface like Roland/Yamaha. Never thought I would want that but playing in church group it would actually come in handy for me.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
*NEW* The Strolling LH Bassline
by Dfrankjazz - 12/01/21 10:54 PM
Ned Rorem
by Steveskates - 12/01/21 09:00 PM
When Pianist and Piano Rebuilder Get together
by Chernobieff Piano - 12/01/21 08:51 PM
Regulating a digital piano advice needed
by Purdy - 12/01/21 06:06 PM
WNG Portable Piano pounder.
by jkess114 - 12/01/21 05:16 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,341
Posts3,150,101
Members103,489
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission