2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (accordeur, Bostonmoores, APianistHasNoName, anotherscott, Augustina, 36251, 8 invisible), 1,451 guests, and 737 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I assume you meant 8 GB of RAM. That's about the minimum you'll find today.
Originally Posted by ronlefebvre
I was thinking something with 8 megs of ram and 500gig HD or is that overboard
Skip the hard drive. Get a laptop with an SSD.

How much are you willing to spend?

R
R
Hi again,

One last question before I go spending money on something I really don’t need..

I finally got the Ravenscroft 275 loaded on my old laptop so I can at least test the sound before buying a new laptop

However, I can barely play 2 notes at the same time without it popping and makes weird sounds like an old dialup modem for you old folks.

My question is concerning my setup and if it’s done properly.

Kawai CA79 piano.

Asio driver used in Ravenscroft

Laptop hooked by USB cable to the piano.

And headphone wire from laptop to line in on the piano as per Kawai manual

Could this be my problem or is my laptop just not up to snuff.

Course could be software not configure properly

Thanks Again

Ron

G
G
[...]
However, I can barely play 2 notes at the same time without it popping and makes weird sounds like an old dialup modem for you old folks.
[...]

what buffer size is configured in the asio driver?
the lower, the better... but too low makes popping/buzzing sound...
higher buffer size adds more latency...
you need to find a buffer size which works fine with your VST but also have low latency!

in my case 192 samples buffer size works fine for all my VST, for the most VSTs even 128 or 64 works fine...
with 192 samples (and 4ms usb buffer) it gives me 11.4 ms output latency

keep calm and play the piano :-)
R
R
Hi,

That did not help, so I unhooked my desktop and brought upstairs and everything plays like a charm. Laptops are just to old.

I always wanted a laptop dedicated just to music.Now is my chance I guess.

Ron

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
If this is really a dedicated VST machine, you might want to look at a headless HTPC/mini form factor PC instead of a laptop? I set up a Mac Mini and velcro'd it to the bottom of my DP. It's completely invisible and works flawlessly.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Gombessa
If this is really a dedicated VST machine, you might want to look at a headless HTPC/mini form factor PC instead of a laptop? I set up a Mac Mini and velcro'd it to the bottom of my DP. It's completely invisible and works flawlessly.

I also use a Mac-mini for my piano VST's. It's great headless (run from my iPad Pro, which also displays my scores using forScore), or you can also add a small monitor and trackpad or mouse and still have a small footprint. The new M-1 Mac-mini is cheap, especially with an external SSD, or you can pick up one of the 2018 Intel Mac-mini's new for around $500.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
R
R
Wow. you guys got me all excited now. Never thought of that. don't really need the laptop for anything else.

That would be perfect. Would be a pc sadly for me. Just got to find one now.

Ron

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Wow. you guys got me all excited now. Never thought of that. don't really need the laptop for anything else.

Ron

This thread was my recent transition from laptop to headless Mac mini (not a PC, but similar principles):
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3108965/1.html

R
R
Interesting read. Thanks.

Do you think the midi connection is better then the USB to host connection.

and interested in finding out if you use your vst when your just playing and do you find they sound better then your NV-10 internal sound.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Do you think the midi connection is better then the USB to host connection.

The MIDI cable was needed to eliminate ground loop noise, which comes from using the DP's own speakers to play back the VST. If you have external speakers, or use headphones, then USB to host is fine. Also, if you use an iDefender or other ground isolation circuit, that works too.

and interested in finding out if you use your vst when your just playing and do you find they sound better then your NV-10 internal sound.

I play with the VST 100% of the time, it's headless and just on 24/7. I turn on the DP and that's the sound that comes out (bootup is faster too because the piano starts sending MIDI faster than the control panel UI or internal presets start up). I like Garritan CFX much better than the internal sounds, there's just no comparing the multi-gigabyte samples, and the real recorded ambiance from the actual studio space. The NV-10's internal sounds have better resonance modeling, but that's very minor compared to the general tone/timbre of the whole instrument.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

Ron
Well you can always run Win10 natively on an Intel Mac mini if you want to put up with Windows and VSTs. But why go through that agony when you could use Mac OS and not have any problems? (Not trying to start a OS war - it doesn't affect me what you use - but you should have no problems with Mac OS and virtual instruments. With Windows, YMMV).

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Macy
Well you can always run Win10 natively on an Intel Mac mini if you want to put up with Windows and VSTs. But why go through that agony when you could use Mac OS and not have any problems? (Not trying to start a OS war - it doesn't affect me what you use - but you should have no problems with Mac OS and virtual instruments. With Windows, YMMV).

To follow up - if you wanted to save money you might look for a good deal on a 2018 Intel Mac-mini with 16 GB (or more) RAM. And I can't testify about using an M1 Mac with existing VSTs (lots of info around though), but the Intel Mac-mini should be good for any VSTs. I'm actually using a 2012 quad-core Mac mini at the moment and never get a click or pop.

You asked a question above about ground loops. It's always possible to experience ground loops depending on the particular products you combine (I'm an electronic design engineer) because of individual product designs. It's unpredictable because one questionable product design will spoil a particular combination. But you can always get rid of them one way or another. I use USB Midi connections to my Mac's, and Toslink optical connections from my Mac's to a D/A converter that drives back to the amplifier+speakers in my CVP, or to separate amplifiers and speakers, without ground-loop issues. But the 2018/2020 Mac mini's no longer have an optical output. You can extract Toslink (SPDIF) optical from the HDMI port using a cheap extractor if you needed/wanted to go that way.

Macy

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by joemama42O
I'm just curious to see the best piano VST ever. I'm talking realistic; just what a piano would sound like. It can be whatever piano manufacturer: Steinway, Yamaha, Bosendorfer: I just want to hear the most realistic one.

Currently, my go-to (best) vst is ....

Pianoteq .... Petral Mistral Prelude (Dynamics set to 50, Velocity Curve set to moderately fast).

That is it .... simple.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
B
B
I agree the Petrof Mistral is very very good. Garritan CFX is still a favorite but I do find myself gravitating to the Pianoteq Petrof Mistral, in numerous formats with mics, velocity, etc., it sounds fantastic.

R
R
Ended up getting a laptop. Got a good deal. Mac was not an option at home. (I work all day on macs so it s not a question of mac or pc war.)

The mini pc was very tempting, but it made more sense for me to stay with the laptop.

I ordered the roland midi connector, but despite that everything runs great with no feedback, but a small hiss sound if I put the sound to high.

Trying to get a good preset going now with Ravenscroft 275 and maybe just maybe getting the Garritan everyone is raving about..

My next bothersome questions will be for recording of the laptop, but I have to do my research first.

Thanks again everybody. Much thanks to Macy and Gomebessa

My favorites are VSL Bösendorfer Imperial and Garritan CFX.

i haven't found the perfect solution for a Model D yet.

Pianoteq, The Grandeur and Ivory American D are not on the same level as the other 2.

I hope the D 274 from VSL can help.

For an Upright Sound i use the Modern U.

i also like the noire, because of the particles engine and the wonderful presets.

Last edited by klausi6; 05/27/21 09:06 AM.

RD 2000 , VSLs, Garritan,Noire,Modern U , Grandeur etc.
monitors: iLoud MTM headphones: AKG702,DT990 pro,Sure215 etc.

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
My favorites change quite alot from time to time, but nowadays it's always vsl.

Right now my order of preference of favorite worty vst's is:

1. synchron imperial
2. 280vc / vsl cfx (tie)
3. d-274
4. vienna imperial / garritan cfx (tie)

I was once a nay-sayer because of pricing and dongle, but once you get used to the vsl software, over time you (well, at least I) start to realize even more how good it is. No other vst feels so much like actually playing a piano.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by U3piano
My favorites change quite alot from time to time, but nowadays it's always vsl. ... No other vst feels so much like actually playing a piano.

@U3piano, Where does Modern U land in your preference list? Or is it a write-off by now?

Also, in a comment of yours of about a year and a half ago, I think I read that Ivory American D was your beloved vsti. More recently, you commented that it still has good playability and tone, yet the sound quality is 'ancient'. Could you explain that further? I'm interested to know.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by HZPiano
@U3piano, Where does Modern U land in your preference list? Or is it a write-off by now?

Also, in a comment of yours of about a year and a half ago, I think I read that Ivory American D was your beloved vsti. More recently, you commented that it still has good playability and tone, yet the sound quality is 'ancient'. Could you explain that further? I'm interested to know.

Hi,

I forgot to mention the modern u, but it was too late to edit my post. The modern u feels like playing a real piano as well, but personally i don't really enjoy the tonality of that u3. It sounds kind of clinical to me in the higher registers. I owned ravenscroft a while ago as well, and from what i remember that plays great as well, but that tone wasn't my cup of tea either.

I forgot to mention vi labs in my post, but i think they are very good at making piano vst's since ravenscroft, sound quality and playability is top notch, and at the moment I see vsl and vi labs as the only interesting company's worth looking at for me. It just so happens that vi labs didn't sample a piano that i really like yet. But i think the "in your face" sound, as i call it, of vi labs is really nice.

One thing that vsl has over everything else is those enormous amounts of layers, i really do think it makes a difference, it feels like you have endless control over the smallest nuances, getting into real piano territory. Plus the software is just so powerful, you can practically change everything you want about the sound.

I did like the American D, but alot has changed and been improved since then. My controller has changed, my headphones have changed, I myself have changed, my playing ability etc, and I finally started getting into vsl. The first thing I immediately noticed when I got my first vsl piano (the d-274 light), was that the quality of the sound itself just beats everything else, it's so clear, so high quality. Vsl's sound quality even makes garritan cfx feel outdated (imo), and I think the American D is a step behind garritan cfx, sound quality wise. Being spoiled by vsl's pristine sound quality, I seriously can't even play the American D anymore, i think it also suffers from having just one mic position. But playability is great and i think the tone itself is nice.

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Aha those are interesting perspectives, @U3Piano, so thanks for your insights.

I still kinda like American D (but don't have it for I bought Modern U instead, so far my only VI) and it would be friendly on my decent but modest PC hardware. As would be the Ravenscroft. The Garritan is not for me.

I can of course see (and hear) how VSL is in another league. If I were to invest into VSL, it probably would be either the CFX or the 280vc.

Then again, in that case I would want a VPC1 (or VPC2) and an upgraded computer as well, a total investment that won't be within my realm for some years to come. And at a total of around €2,500, such an amount could also buy me a decent double bass (instead)--and there's nothing virtual about a beautiful succulent Spirocore-stringed contrabass 😋!

So yes, choices, choices.

Cheers and happy growing,

HZ

Page 9 of 17 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 16 17

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
I Want To Be Happy
by Simon_b - 07/24/21 02:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,054
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission