2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (anotherscott, Bostonmoores, Ajax69, An Old Square, accordeur, 21 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 571 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 26 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 25 26
TroopLewis - Lol : ) What are you working on these days?

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Stormbringer
TroopLewis - Lol : ) What are you working on these days?

Stormbringer
Too many things;
Tiny Dancer and Daniel (Elton John)
Schubert's serenade
War March of the Priests (4- month project)
Passacaglia (Hanon)

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
Originally Posted by Sebs
Good work, and happy to see you're feeling your progress ! You're well relaxed during the soft passages, and that produces a nice sound smile

These are very nice pieces, and well played !

Originally Posted by Saan
I was really not expecting such a dramatic tone from the name of the piece ! Love the chord progression in it, adding it to my wish list.

Originally Posted by barbaram
11. Waltz in A Minor - Chopin Link
Aaah, Chopin... lovely waltz ! If you're open to feedback, I'd suggest playing the trills of the main theme a bit lighter and faster (just like the one you did at 0:40)

Originally Posted by Melusina
Hello, I am new to this forum. I think that this challenge is a really great idea. Could I please join the challenge? Thank you very much!
Welcome aboard ! I'm a latecomer myself, no worries, no pressure smile

Kawai CA79 (Jan 2021), Casio Privia PX-870 (Jun 2017)
Originally Posted by AndresVel
Great additions Meap6! I think you did a very good job with those etudes. No 8 and No 11 sound very fun to play, I liked those the most.
I loved that Bach prelude and also enjoyed that nocturne a lot. That forte section towards the end of the nocturne took me by surprise! I think in general you have a great use of dynamics. Great job!
Thank you also for your comments on my piece. You made my day when I read it, since the LH was the main point when polishing that Kabalewski piece. I was happy to know that those details could come through in the recording, since sometimes I just do not manage to play them entirely as as I want/normally would do when I am recording smirk It is all a learning process I guess smile

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, some of the Czerny studies are pretty fun. Some give me this "giggly" feeling when playing (like the 24th, which I'm currently recording).
In the nocturne, I really like the chords of the forte section, right after the octave run. It has this "huge" feeling, almost like playing some kind of concerto !

Meap6 - gorgeous Bach prelude, it's a while since I've played any Bach and both this and Greta's piece are whetting my appetite for more. There's nothing "little" about the Bulteau Moon Rabbit - Little Nocturne in Eb smile I love it!

Thank you. The "little" is from the title grin I wouldn't dare call it that otherwise !

I enjoyed the Bach--I haven't been playing anything from the WTC lately and it feels like a lack! The Little Nocturne is beautiful and very nicely played.
Thank you! Yes, I felt like Bach was cruelly missing from my repertoire and tackled a few pieces from the WTC, they are great ways to practice control, and give you much freedom for dynamics (since none are given wink ).
I'm still going to try for another take of that nocturne. I happen to know the composer of the piece and he gave me some pointers from that recording. You don't often get advice from the maestros laugh

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I think I will join as a latecomer into this group. I'm hoping to be less ambitious with the pieces I learn for the rest of the year. More manageable pieces for my current skill level.

A question though, for example I've submitted Mad World to the transcriptions recital. The version I submitted was a simpler transcription, and I am currently working on a more difficult transcription (I must stop biting off more than I can chew). Can each version be included separately in the 40 pieces challenge.

1. Beethoven - First Movement of Moonlight Sonata
2. Agnes Obel - Chord Left
3. Schumann - Träumerei Opus 15 No. 7
4. Schumann - Am Kamin Opus 15 No. 8
5. Schumann - Volksliedchen Opus 68 No. 9
6. Roland Orzabal/Gary Jules tanscription - Mad World

These are all the pieces I've recorded so far this year. I am going to need to hurry up if I am going to make the 40 pieces in time.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by trooplewis
[Linked Image]

Haha I bet those are some good Paninis. Now I will be on the look out for "Trooplewis's ...." which might be hard to find. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL, thought you would like that. It was at a Farmer's Market in the Little Italy section of San Diego last Saturday.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I went a bit mad ordering music, to try and make sure I had enough material at an appropriate kind of level to give me a decent chance at meeting the goals of the 40 pieces a year challenge.

Piano Mix 3 published by ABRSM
Grade 4 exam pieces for ABRSM
Hours With the Masters 2. Dorothy Bradley
Hours with the Masters 3. Dorothy Bradley

I think to start with the last one, Hours with the Masters 3, will not get a lot of use. Most pieces there I think will be too hard this year to help me achieve the 40 pieces goal. But I'll have it for next year.

I am really looking forward to the Piano Mix 3. Boring title, but it looks like a fun collection of pieces to get into.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/18/21 03:49 AM.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by KevinM
I went a bit mad ordering music, to try and make sure I had enough material at an appropriate kind of level to give me a decent chance at meeting the goals of the 40 pieces a year challenge.

That was me a couple of months back smile

I'm not totally fixated on 40, though I do get a bit jumpy if a few weeks go by with nothing to add to my list. Having lots of choices of easier pieces to feel enthusiastic about it critical

On your previous question about whether 2 different versions of a piece can go on the list i would say yes, but we all make our own rules on this

[Linked Image]
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S

That was me a couple of months back smile

I'm not totally fixated on 40, though I do get a bit jumpy if a few weeks go by with nothing to add to my list. Having lots of choices of easier pieces to feel enthusiastic about it critical

On your previous question about whether 2 different versions of a piece can go on the list i would say yes, but we all make our own rules on this

I agree! Post the same song/different variations as much as you want. I even posted something that was just a few bars. For me I feel I'm already ahead because had I not joined this challenge I would have not recorded myself or played those pieces at all.

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I've just found a piece that I remembered was a joy to play as a child, in my new collection of music. I'll be relearning it and it will hopefully be part of the 40 piece challenge. I could remember the melody but had no memory of what it was called or who the composer was.

This young lad seems find a similar delight with the piece. He starts playing it at the 1m20 mark which seems to be ignored in from the link when embedded here.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/19/21 11:30 AM.
A
A
Welcome on board Melusina and KevinM smile lovely to have you around

I spent half my lesson yesterday on the Schubert piece and based on that, I’m not too confident that I will get a decent recording today. The melody is all in chords, and I am having a bear of a time keeping them legato and properly voiced while in the correct rhythm (two of those at once is no problem but the trick is to get all three!). Yesterday I was managing to make it sound good about half the time. I feel like for a recital it should be more polished. I will try today anyway though; maybe I will have a breakthrough, heh. I absolutely love Schubert so there will definitely be more Schubert on my 40 pieces list!

Well, I had recently listened to Alicia de Larrocha’s recording, so I had set a high bar, lol. I was pretty pleased with my A section but she brings so much lively lightness to the B section and I felt like I didn’t really do it justice…and with more time I could have. But I definitely have to move on. Thank you for your kind comments (I totally stole those phrasing ideas from de Larrocha!)
I think it is wise to wait if you know you still want to improve a piece before recording it. I sometimes think on that with my invention. It got so much better some weeks after I recorded it for the last recital. But it is anyways a good reminder of how the process went and of all the effort put into it smile Looking forward for your Schubert!
I have never listened much from de Larrocha. I will check her recordings

Here's my submission to the ABF Quarterly Recital. It was actually a last minute substitution when I surprised myself with a decent recording. I really wasn't ready to let go of my original submission as I hadn't nailed the ending and I'm still really enjoying working on it, so no regrets about the switch

I think you did very good on this Waltz barbaram. I truly enjoyed it when listening to the recital submissions. Great job smile

Lisztomaniac, inspired adult beginner, Scarlatti fan
Sabel S123 (Tucan), and Kawai CA49. Previously: Casio PX-S1000
What I have been learning
A
A
Great set of pieces KevinM! You have definitely put in the practice hours this year. I loved am Kamin. Actually the entire Kinderszenen is lovely, although I have to admit that Traumerei is not in my top of the list from the set. I like the second half better. This is anyways just my personal taste. You did an amazing job smile

Last edited by AndresVel; 05/20/21 04:58 PM.

A
A
I am adding my submission for this quarterly recital.
I am joining sisi at the My-First-Sonatina party!!. It was so cool to learn this. Looking forward already to the next one. Both links lead to the same video (both mvmts are put together)

1. Jewgeni Tetzel - Prelude
2. Balys Dvarionas - Prelude
3. Alexander Goedicke - Tanz
4. Jean-Baptiste Duvernoy - Etude in C major, Op. 176, No. 24
5. Alexander Gretschaninow - Kinderalbum, Op. 98, No. 1 - Kleines Maerchen
6. Dmitri Kabalewski - 24 kleine Stücke für Klavier, Op. 39, No. 10 - Marsch
7. Johann Krieger - Minuet in A minor
8. Ludwig Schytte - 25 easy Etudes, Op. 160, No. 18 in F major
9. J.S. Bach - Two-Part Inventions, No. 4 in D minor (BWV 775)
10. Isaak Berkowitsch - 50 little Etudes, No. 26 in D minor
11. Alexander Purimow - Der Ball
12. Samuil Maykapar - Spielereien, Op. 28, No. 10 - Kleines Maerchen
13. Alexander Gretschaninow - Kinderalbum, Op. 98, No. 13 - Mazurka (Erinnerung)
14. Carl Czerny - Etude in C major
15. Henry Purcell - Air in D minor, ZT 676
16. Johann Christoph Graupner - Bourrée in E minor, GWV 827
17. Elena Gnesina - Etude in D major
18. Jean-Baptiste Weckerlin - Chansons et rondes enfantines, No. 22 - Autrefois le rat de ville
19. Georg Philipp Telemann - Fantasie für Cembalo TWV 33:14 in C major - Gavotte
20. Aram Khachaturian - Klänge der Kindheit für Klavier, No. 1 - Seilspringen
21. Carl Czerny - Erster Lehrmeister, Op. 599, No. 19 in C major
22. Samuil Maykapar - 20 Pedal Preludes, Op. 38, No. 18 in A minor
23. Dmitri Kabalewski - 24 kleine Stücke für Klavier, Op. 39, No. 13 - Lyrischer Waltz
24. Alexander Goedicke - 20 little pieces for beginners, Op. 6, No. 4 in D minor
25. Alexander Goedicke - 20 little pieces for beginners, Op. 6, No. 6 in A minor
26. Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonatina in G major, Anh. 5, No. 1, I. Moderato
27. Ludwig van Beethoven - Sonatina in G major, Anh. 5, No. 1, II. Romanze

I think I will join as a latecomer into this group. I'm hoping to be less ambitious with the pieces I learn for the rest of the year. More manageable pieces for my current skill level.

A question though, for example I've submitted Mad World to the transcriptions recital. The version I submitted was a simpler transcription, and I am currently working on a more difficult transcription (I must stop biting off more than I can chew). Can each version be included separately in the 40 pieces challenge.

1. Beethoven - First Movement of Moonlight Sonata
2. Agnes Obel - Chord Left
3. Schumann - Träumerei Opus 15 No. 7
4. Schumann - Am Kamin Opus 15 No. 8
5. Schumann - Volksliedchen Opus 68 No. 9
6. Roland Orzabal/Gary Jules tanscription - Mad World

These are all the pieces I've recorded so far this year. I am going to need to hurry up if I am going to make the 40 pieces in time.

Welcome aboard !

I loved your Schumann pieces, you have a very tender touch.
The sound of your MP11SE is also gorgeous, I was surprised by the bass!

For your Mad World question, you set your own rules. If you believe they are 2 separate pieces (which I think they are) then count them separately.
I'd say it's even harder to learn a more complex arrangement of a piece you already know, than to start it from scratch since you have to basically unlearn the first version!

K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Meap6
Welcome aboard !

I loved your Schumann pieces, you have a very tender touch.
Thank you and from AndresVel as well. I've recorded 6 of the 15 from Kinderszenen now, so slowly getting through the full set. Though I'll probably do a new recording of The Poet Speaks at some point.

None of the recordings use the internal sound of the MP11SE. When I upgraded from my Casio I was hoping the improvement in sound was going to be more than it was, but instead I've gone down the virtual piano route and the MP11SE is used as a controller now.
The Beethoven and all the Schumann pieces use the Bösendorfer Imperial from VSL, Chord Left uses the Vienna Imperial from VSL and Mad World is recorded using the Bösendorfer VC280 from VSL as well.

For your Mad World question, you set your own rules. If you believe they are 2 separate pieces (which I think they are) then count them separately.
I'd say it's even harder to learn a more complex arrangement of a piece you already know, than to start it from scratch since you have to basically unlearn the first version!
Thanks for the replies from both who responded. In this case the simpler version was learnt very quickly, the challenges of the harder version are significant for someone at my skill level. My problem is definitely not the unlearning.

To attempt the 40 pieces challenge I am going to have to relax a little about how much I work to cleanup my playing for each piece.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/21/21 08:01 AM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I am joining sisi at the My-First-Sonatina party!!. It was so cool to learn this. Looking forward already to the next one. Both links lead to the same video (both mvmts are put together)

9. J.S. Bach - Two-Part Inventions, No. 4 in D minor (BWV 775)

I am working on this two part invention right now, it is proving to be exceptionally challenging for me. It is my first Bach piece apart from the C major prelude which was one the first pieces I learnt when I restarted the piano a couple of years ago, after over a 40 year break. I enjoyed Bach as a kid, but as an adult it is a different question. But you have provided a nice reference recording for me to compare myself to with this.

I enjoyed both your Sonatina movements Andres.

Last edited by KevinM; 05/21/21 08:08 AM.
None of the recordings use the internal sound of the MP11SE. When I upgraded from my Casio I was hoping the improvement in sound was going to be more than it was, but instead I've gone down the virtual piano route and the MP11SE is used as a controller now.
The Beethoven and all the Schumann pieces use the Bösendorfer Imperial from VSL, Chord Left uses the Vienna Imperial from VSL and Mad World is recorded using the Bösendorfer VC280 from VSL as well.

Ah, I knew it had to be different from the Kawai sounds, I can't get my CA79 to sound like that!
You may have gotten VSL a potential customer with those recordings. I'm seriously considering it, the bass tones on that Bösendorfer Imperial are to die for !

To attempt the 40 pieces challenge I am going to have to relax a little about how much I work to cleanup my playing for each piece.

As someone said earlier on this thread, don't put too much pressure on yourself for the 40. The result at the end of the year will be beautiful, regardless of the number achieved smile

Another quick one...I've recently discovered Grieg's Op. 17 (Norwegian Folk Songs and Dances) which has a lot of little delightful pieces like this. I was more familiar with the Lyric Pieces but I may do one or two more from Op. 17 this year. Saebygga was a treat to learn. smile

1. Chopin, Prelude Op. 28 No. 20
2. Scarlatti, Sonata in F minor K.466
3. Bach, Prelude in C minor BWV 847
4. Bach, Fugue in C minor BWV 847
5. Mozart, Sonata K570, first movement
6. Grieg, Op. 12 No.1 Arietta
7. Scriabin, Prelude Op. 16 No. 4
8. Mozart, Sonata K570, second movement
9. Granados, Valses Poéticos, No. 3
10. Grieg, Saebygga (Op. 17 No. 21)

Yamaha U3H

Nice job with the Waltz, barbaram. That was the first Chopin piece I learned and has a special place in my heart. It is so lovely to play.

Wow, KevinM, I love your Schumann pieces. Träumerei was one of the first pieces I tried learning when I came back to the piano last year--I wasn't able to play it nearly as sweetly as you! Like Meap6, I was also impressed with the sound you are getting out of your setup.

I am joining sisi at the My-First-Sonatina party!!. It was so cool to learn this. Looking forward already to the next one.

Nice work on the Sonatina, AndresVel. Do you have another one in mind for next?

Yamaha U3H
Page 19 of 26 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 25 26

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 04:38 PM
Cateen plays I Got Rhythm
by pianoloverus - 12/02/21 03:44 PM
My tech knows I am OCD
by RobAC - 12/02/21 02:09 PM
A little OT - a Thanksgiving Day piano float
by Rich Galassini - 12/02/21 01:50 PM
Preventing noise transmission
by happyhacker - 12/02/21 01:35 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,354
Posts3,150,258
Members103,492
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission