2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
49 members (Curt-S, dire tonic, Earlyriser, antune, clothearednincompo, barbaram, beeboss, Anglagard44, 11 invisible), 1,368 guests, and 489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I didn't watch the video, are you sure it took him 12 years ?

Originally Posted by SunnyKeys
I'm proud as heck of that kid! it didn't sound like he's been working non-stop non it for 12 years.
I'm glad you appreciate his journey and the final output... smile

In retrospect, this put most of us to shame, for finding excuses everyday, or willingly get distracted, all for the purpose of not doing the work. So for me, the first criteria in learning is why? Like what that guy did, the 'why' will get you through the distractions and discouragement. He used his teacher's discouragement at motivation. 2nd is knowing your current skill set vs the difficulty of the piece. Ask around. Even if the piece does not much your skill, chances are, those you asked can help you breakdown a piece and identify the skills you need to build on those passages. Lastly, based on the second, how much time are you willing to commit on that piece? A week? A month? Half a year? or 12yrs perhaps?

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
I'm proud as heck of that kid! it didn't sound like he's been working non-stop non it for 12 years.
I'm glad you appreciate his journey and the final output... smile

In retrospect, this put most of us to shame, for finding excuses everyday, or willingly get distracted, all for the purpose of not doing the work. So for me, the first criteria in learning is why? Like what that guy did, the 'why' will get you through the distractions and discouragement. He used his teacher's discouragement at motivation. 2nd is knowing your current skill set vs the difficulty of the piece. Ask around. Even if the piece does not much your skill, chances are, those you asked can help you breakdown a piece and identify the skills you need to build on those passages. Lastly, based on the second, how much time are you willing to commit on that piece? A week? A month? Half a year? or 12yrs perhaps?

If you listen to a couple other of his videos, I understand where he's coming from. I was terrible in math in grade school, high school. Math and me were worlds apart. I started college at the ripe age of 39. I had to go through 3 developmental math classes before I could get to college algebra. (I had my own self-deprecating names for each.) But I was determined to get through each of them, as well as college algebra. My trouble with math had followed me (I dare say haunted me) my entire lifetime. But, in the end, I was able to "slay the dragon" at least for that point in time I needed to learn the subject. Don't ask me to do any algebra problems now! Those brain cells have been overwritten. But with determination, a lot can be accomplished.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
J
Jovin Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Originally Posted by Chris James
Originally Posted by Jovin
I know this probably highly relative to overall technique/knowledge, and the length of the pieces, but I’ve always been torn with the question, “should I be learning this right now?”

There are some pieces I’ve spent 60+ hours on and others a couple hours with those times needed for similar accuracies in performance.

When getting to something like Chopin’s etudes, some of Liszt’s works, and more difficult arrangements in general, what would be some estimated efficient times to take to learn the pieces for those who have learned them or similarly difficult pieces. Memorization could be a variable in this situation but maybe it would be best to keep it out?

I know theoretically anyone can a learn a piece well above their level by spending extra time, which is what I wasted a lot of time doing when I first started, but I unfortunatey have to be more efficient with my time nowadays.

Too poor for a teacher and I like you all more anyway.

Just 60 hours? wink

I'm at well over that on my latest, and am loving every minute of it because I'm playing a piece I really enjoy...what's your rush? Isn't the best part of life mostly the journey?

Of course there is absolutely no rush! I am a late starter, though. Started playing at 24 and I’m 28 this year. I’m about progression at this stage of my journey and would like to use my time as efficiently as possible, while I have it. Up to a few months ago I had about 8 hours of free time to dedicate to the piano every day. That has been shaved down to about two or three due to promotional changes at work. I’m lucky to have that to be honest! No kids and divorced 😁

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
As long as you continue learning something when playing them, I wouldn’t put a time limit as to how long you should study them. You can study a Bach invention for a couple years and get something new out of it regularly.

Bösendorfer 170
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
As long as you continue learning something when playing them, I wouldn’t put a time limit as to how long you should study them. You can study a Bach invention for a couple years and get something new out of it regularly.

Yes! I agree.

...But, in the end, I was able to "slay the dragon" at least for that point in time I needed to learn the subject. Don't ask me to do any algebra problems now! Those brain cells have been overwritten. But with determination, a lot can be accomplished.
Determination, right! Congrats on earning your "Dragon Slayer" badge! laugh

oh wait, find x , x = 8 / 2 (2 + 2 )

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you’re comfortable learning a piece at a certain level keep going.

A piece that is too advanced and you find the first page too challenging, put it off for later.

...But, in the end, I was able to "slay the dragon" at least for that point in time I needed to learn the subject. Don't ask me to do any algebra problems now! Those brain cells have been overwritten. But with determination, a lot can be accomplished.

Hahahaha....

Thanks for the badge!! Someone else can solve the equation!!

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
T
T

x = 16

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Talão

x = 16
Personally, I prefer 1. It's a nice whole complete number...... whistle

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by Talão

x = 16
Personally, I prefer 1. It's a nice whole complete number...... whistle
bennevis, that's right! thumb thanks guys! smile

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
back to the serious nature of the op.: there is no time limit whatsoever to any amount of time spent on any piece, everyone learns and learns, after ten years one might start right from the beginning again with a piece from yesteryear, a musician is going through the tough process of 'éducation permanente', however: there are competitions that give you a week to study and perform a new piece, some skills at being fast in that respect might come in handy...

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,312
Posts3,118,026
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission