2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
82 members (brdwyguy, AlphaBravoCharlie, c++, Bruce In Philly, antune, 22 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 602 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17
R
R
Originally Posted by ˆTomLCˆ
I really like the sound of the Ravenscroft. I just bought it, but I'm experiencing a problem with the install.

Went with Ravenscroft finaly, but Ivory was really really tempting.

Also having trouble with the install, but in my case its an error with the key installation.

Will try again tonight.

Ron

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Congratulations with your decisions on Ravenscroft 275, @Ron and @Tom! I hope the both of you will have it up and running in no time and will get the satisfaction out of it that you're looking for.

It is still interesting to see how much interest there is in Ivory II American Concert D, considering that it is an almost "ancient" library by now. It keeps tickling my desire (a.k.a. G.A.S.) as well...

Cheers and happy successful installing,

HZ

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by HZPiano
It is still interesting to see how much interest there is in Ivory II American Concert D, considering that it is an almost "ancient" library by now. It keeps tickling my desire (a.k.a. G.A.S.) as well...

If you would ask me (which you didn't) i would advice to spend your money elsewhere. While tone (subjective) and especially playability are fine, I think the American concert D has a sound quality that matches the ancientness of the software.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you don't mind old libraries, the Vintage D is still a good one. I'm fond of the Steinway sound, and the Vintage D does a very good job with that.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Ravenscroft is installed and great. I am looking for a manual as it has a lot of adjustments you can make.
I would have liked it a lot more if it was half price like if Europe. I checked the Vi Labs web site and they do not show it on sale.

Kawai NV10
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
If you don't mind old libraries, the Vintage D is still a good one. I'm fond of the Steinway sound, and the Vintage D does a very good job with that.

I keep looking at this, but it never goes on sale. The age is a concern, but I don't like the gigantuan size of the newer libraries.

Ravenscroft is installed and great. I am looking for a manual as it has a lot of adjustments you can make.
I would have liked it a lot more if it was half price like if Europe. I checked the Vi Labs web site and they do not show it on sale.

I haven't installed and even though purchased several months ago. Do you find it less bright compared to Garritan?

R
R

Great to hear it.

I am still trying to install the uviworkstation. same error keeps popping.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by 20/20 Vision
I haven't installed and even though purchased several months ago. Do you find it less bright compared to Garritan?

No, it is not less bright. It’s a different sound. I don’t have it all worked out yet. I like it just using the Player Mics. That is less bright I think. I don’t see how to save a preset either. That’s a little frustrating. But, I can leave it on and close the lid on the laptop. When I open the lid it doesn’t change.

Kawai NV10
Don't let the age concern you. I have newer libraries that aren't as good.

I keep looking at this, but it never goes on sale. The age is a concern, but I don't like the gigantuan size of the newer libraries.
As for going on sale? Well, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the Vintage D and maybe a couple of others ... and forego the dozens that I've bought and discarded.

Instead of spending thousands on the many I could be content with a few hundred dollars spent on just the Vintage D and Kawai EX Pro and Grandeur.

Indeed, I could get by just fine with nothing more than the Vintage D.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Would you know that if you hadn't made the invstment in VIs?

J
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
The Rave sounds pretty good to my ears, at least going by the demos.

U3 nails the key point:

"The most realistic sounding one i have tried is embertone's walker. I think synthogy's American D and garritan cfx sound synthetic in comparison, but while still good, both probably beat it in playability."

Wise words. TWO very different things are meant by the question "Great-sounding" or "Most Realistic-sounding vst": 1) sounds great to me while I play it.... 2) sounds like a real piano recording when I listen AFTERWARDS to my stuff.

(1) and (2) aren't always found together... in fact... I'd say that there not often found together at all!

So the journey of finding a really great piano vst is very tricky. If all you're looking for is something that "sounds great" TO PLAY .... then there are many contenders out there

If you mean "sounds great" as in "I made a recording with that piano that sounds like a professionally made piano recording," the list of candidates is MUCH smaller.

I reckon that you made a pretty good choice in the SECOND sense. The demos tell me that. Folks say it's playable, too.

So maybe this is your Holy Grail, as they say. Playable AND can be made to produce studio quality piano recordings!

Sometimes wish I could afford ALL the best piano vsts!

Bach, A Sequenced Well-tempered Clavier Books I & II complete
https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/HYEfX

Other piano works
https://www.youtube.com/c/BachIdealized/playlists

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Instead of spending thousands on the many I could be content with a few hundred dollars spent on just the Vintage D and Kawai EX Pro and Grandeur.

Interesting that you put the Kawai-EX Pro into this elite group. It has a great body in fact, the AcousticSamples team has managed to create some nice libraries with a small footprint. I have their C7 Grand, and I like it a lot.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
B
B
I love the Vintage D as well and most of the samples done by Uli at Galaxy.

One question I have is how pianists feel about sampled pianos with true sustain samples vs what Galaxy does which is to record just the resonances of the samples? I believe that is what they do to mimic the sustain down?

I do admit that when I play the Hammersmith, there is something about those real sustain samples that feel alive to me.

Don't let the age concern you. I have newer libraries that aren't as good.

As for going on sale? Well, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy the Vintage D and maybe a couple of others ... and forego the dozens that I've bought and discarded.

Does the Vintage D require a dongle, license key or other registration authority to use? I'm quite tempted.

They (or at least from my own experience of Ravenscroft) can be easily tweaked for a more mellow or bright sound.

The Vintage D requires no dongle. You register by entering the license key into the "Service Center" screen.
Does the Vintage D require a dongle, license key or other registration authority to use?

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
If you want the Steinway sound then it's the Vintage D all the way. And it has a nice range of authentic sounding voicing for multiple genera's.

I finally got my piano moved into my new house after a couple months of downtime while we finished moving. I spent the entire night until the sun came up this morning playing the Vintage D and CFX, including through my large Martin Logan electrostatic panels (46" x 15" with 2-12" woofers and a 15" sub-woofer) in my new room. Astonishing sound!

Last edited by Macy; 05/20/21 02:25 AM.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Macy
If you want the Steinway sound then it's the Vintage D all the way. And it has a nice range of authentic sounding voicing for multiple genera's.

I finally got my piano moved into my new house after a couple months of downtime while we finished moving. I spent the entire night until the sun came up this morning playing the Vintage D and CFX, including through my large Martin Logan electrostatic panels (46" x 15" with 2-12" woofers and a 15" sub-woofer) in my new room. Astonishing sound!

That’s quite an endorsement. I presume you favor vintage d over ACD for the Steinway sound?

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
Mason and Hamlin BB
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by U3piano
If you would ask me (which you didn't) i would advice to spend your money elsewhere. While tone (subjective) and especially playability are fine, I think the American concert D has a sound quality that matches the ancientness of the software.

Since I am now 😁, could you put in words (maybe not that easy to do) what you think makes its sound quality 'ancient' while the tone is fine?

That would surely interest me.

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

Page 7 of 17 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 16 17

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:23 PM
Rachmaninoff anyone? I'm having so much fun!
by gooddog - 07/28/21 06:21 PM
Yamaha 515-P... sounds bad or it's just me???
by Riccardo92 - 07/28/21 06:10 PM
Plan Ahead! 2022 Themed Recitals
by Sam S - 07/28/21 04:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,265
Posts3,117,115
Members102,261
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission