2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
28 members (APianistHasNoName, crab89, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, 9 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 137 of 191 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 190 191
E
E
@Meap6 to see what point I made you'd need to read what I wrote, and nowhere in what I wrote will you find mention of your latest reported procedure.

Originally Posted by entonio
@Meap6 to see what point I made you'd need to read what I wrote, and nowhere in what I wrote will you find mention of your latest reported procedure.

I'm sorry, your post kind of came out of the blue after my remarks, so I just assumed they were in reply.

Last edited by Meap6; 05/18/21 11:41 AM.

Kawai CA79 (Jan 2021), Casio Privia PX-870 (Jun 2017)
R
R
Originally Posted by Meap6
By the way, has anyone else been able to reproduce the recording issue ?

With a USB plugged in (SanDisk did not offer its holy protection).
Record something, must be of some length (around 1min is enough).
Save it.
Immediately go to the USB player, because of course you want to listen to it.
It's there in the list, you double tap to launch (or tap and press 'play').
A "Song loading" screen appears, stays for ~5-10sec and then you get the "recorder/playback error".
The file is still in the list, you can do the same from the "recorder playback" menu, with identical results.

If you remove the USB stick and replug it, or restart the piano, you will then realize the file has disappeared (can't be seen from piano menus anymore, of from a computer).

I tried this recipe twice but can not get it to fail.

Kawai CA79 (Nov 2020), Kawai ES920 (Aug 2021), Roland ep-7IIe (1993)
Originally Posted by RickM

Thank you for taking the time.
Can I ask how long your recordings were ?

R
R
Originally Posted by RickM

Thank you for taking the time.
Can I ask how long your recordings were ?

About 1:10 and 1:40. I went the USB Player after saving. The first time I selected the file and hit Play, the 2nd time I double tapped the file name.

Kawai CA79 (Nov 2020), Kawai ES920 (Aug 2021), Roland ep-7IIe (1993)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by fr34k
I have found another bug: please test.

Change to “Full Organ” in the organ tab and configure your sustain pedal to sustain the tone.
Now press the lower keys (A0 to E1) repeatedly with pedal continuously held. Regardless of volume I hear strange sounds out of the right pair of top speakers (distortions maybe?)

I checked this a little earlier, and was able to reproduce some distortion through headphones.
It seems that the repeated build-up of bass notes is causing some digital distortion, which is perhaps to be expected if you overload the tone generator in this way.

I discussed this phenomenon with my colleagues and we believe that this style of playing with a pipe organ is not very common, more over a real church organ does not have a damper pedal, so it's impossible to continuously build-up the sound in this way. For this reason, we do not believe it is a significant issue.

However, if you wish to continue to play the bottom notes of the Full Organ sound with the damper pedal held in this way, you may wish to try using the Tone Control settings (e.g. Bass Cut preset, or reduce Low Frequency band in User EQ) in order to reduce/prevent the distortion from occurring.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Online Content
By the way, has anyone else been able to reproduce the recording issue ?

With a USB plugged in (SanDisk did not offer its holy protection).
Record something, must be of some length (around 1min is enough).
Save it.
Immediately go to the USB player, because of course you want to listen to it.
It's there in the list, you double tap to launch (or tap and press 'play').
A "Song loading" screen appears, stays for ~5-10sec and then you get the "recorder/playback error".
The file is still in the list, you can do the same from the "recorder playback" menu, with identical results.

If you remove the USB stick and replug it, or restart the piano, you will then realize the file has disappeared (can't be seen from piano menus anymore, of from a computer).

I also checked this a little earlier, using both a recently purchased Sandisk Cruiser USB3.1 stick, as well as an old, unbranded stick typically given away at trade shows. Both were formatted to FAT32 on my office Windows 10 PC.

I followed the steps listed above, but was unable to reproduce this issue with either stick. I could record (over a minute each time), save the song, select the Music tab, open the recorder playback menu, and play the song. Unplugging and reconnecting the stick lists the song in the USB Memory Player menu, which plays without difficulty. The recorded files are also listed and accessible when connected to my Windows 10 PC.

My recommendation would be to contact your dealer for assistance, and perhaps arrange to play-test a CA99 or CA79 at their store to see if you're able to reproduce the same issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thank you James and RickM for taking the time to try it.

I have tried it again this morning, and could successfully do it multiple times with the SanDisk key.
I then switched to a no-brand USB key and could not reproduce the issue.

What's weird is that when I re-tried with the SanDisk key afterwards, I couldn't reproduce it anymore. It fixed itself I guess ?

This worries me more than anything since it means there's probably an extra step somewhere with the usb plugged in, and no telling when it could happen again if I happen to do it...

Oh well, I'll just have to risk it and potentially lose another take.
If I do encounter it again, I'll try to figure out what else I did.

Thanks again.

E
E
Maybe momentary loss of electrical connection? If the socket is not very tolerant, any small difference in the way the key is inserted may trigger it.

Originally Posted by entonio
Maybe momentary loss of electrical connection? If the socket is not very tolerant, any small difference in the way the key is inserted may trigger it.

Maybe. Maybe it's also the reason behind all the issues I've had with saving recordings to USB. I wonder if my USB connection unit is faulty ?
I can't be the only person using the recording function on this thread, and yet I've run into so many issues with it that don't seem to happen to other users.

I doubt it is the case but @Kawai James, do you know if the USB connection port is replacable/changeable by a Kawai Technician ?
If it's not under warranty, I'd be fine paying for it if it meant my recording issues could be resolved...

Online Content
Meap6,

Most, if not all, of the components inside a digital piano can be replaced, if necessary.

Again, I would recommend that you discuss this topic with your dealer.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks James.
Of course I'll be seeing with my dealer wink,
I was just wondering if it is something that can be done with a simple technician visit or if it needs me sending my DP back to the dealer to have it done ?

C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
@Meap6 - when trying to do an upgrade on a CA78 two or three years ago I couldn't because, although the usbs -several were tried - were recognised, but the piano wouldn't do the upgrade. Can't remember the exact conditions but as Kawai James said discuss it with your dealer.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
C
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
C
@Meap6 - when trying to do an upgrade on a CA78 two or three years ago I couldn't because, although the usbs -several were tried - were recognised, but the piano wouldn't do the upgrade. Can't remember the exact conditions but as Kawai James said discuss it with your dealer.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
F
F
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Originally Posted by fr34k
I have found another bug: please test.

Change to “Full Organ” in the organ tab and configure your sustain pedal to sustain the tone.
Now press the lower keys (A0 to E1) repeatedly with pedal continuously held. Regardless of volume I hear strange sounds out of the right pair of top speakers (distortions maybe?)

I checked this a little earlier, and was able to reproduce some distortion through headphones.
It seems that the repeated build-up of bass notes is causing some digital distortion, which is perhaps to be expected if you overload the tone generator in this way.

I discussed this phenomenon with my colleagues and we believe that this style of playing with a pipe organ is not very common, more over a real church organ does not have a damper pedal, so it's impossible to continuously build-up the sound in this way. For this reason, we do not believe it is a significant issue.

However, if you wish to continue to play the bottom notes of the Full Organ sound with the damper pedal held in this way, you may wish to try using the Tone Control settings (e.g. Bass Cut preset, or reduce Low Frequency band in User EQ) in order to reduce/prevent the distortion from occurring.

Kind regards,
James
x

Yes, it's quite the niche. It's just something I found and reported so it may influence the next gen of sampling system.

Online Content
Thanks James.
I was just wondering if it is something that can be done with a simple technician visit or if it needs me sending my DP back to the dealer to have it done ?

Assuming you purchased the instrument locally, it may be possible for a technician to visit your home, if the dealer deems it necessary.

Kind regards,
James
x

Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thanks James.

Assuming you purchased the instrument locally, it may be possible for a technician to visit your home, if the dealer deems it necessary.

Kind regards,
James
x

Ok then,
Thank you!

K
K
Hi all,

I received my CA99 yesterday after 5 months of delay. I am very pleased with the beautiful design, but I noticed today some gross assembly defects, which IMO are unacceptable for a product of this range.

See attached images:

- Headphones support poorly attached.
https://i.postimg.cc/wMqMx11f/image-67148545.jpg

- Bottom speaker canvas support moves (untightened screw).
https://i.postimg.cc/W3PtKWTP/Inkedimage-55415491-LI.jpg

- Bottom panel damaged on one corner.
https://i.postimg.cc/jdj2GJ0C/IMG-3397.jpg

I already sent a complaint to my local dealer, I will see their answer. Meanwhile, I am wondering how serious these defects are. Owners of the CA99, do you have these kind of defects on yours? Is it acceptable in your opinion ? Am I over reacting ?

I don't really know how to manage this, since I don't want to wait a few months for a new one if I ask for an exchange or refund.

I could easily fix all these things by myself and forget but I don't want to. Seeing this made me loose trust about Kawai quality control and reliability. How can I ensure the other parts of the piano have been assembled correclty ? If they can't fix a headphone support correclty (which is a visible part), I wonder how the inner parts have been assembled...

Last edited by km123; 05/24/21 05:43 AM.
Online Content
Hello km123,

May I kindly ask you to send me a message with your location, contact information, piano serial number, and the name of the dealer, please?

The headphone hook is not usually pre-attached at the factory, but included in a separate bag for the owner to attach. I will have to double-check that this is also the case for the CA99.

Regarding the loose screw and panel edge fold, this should be corrected by your dealer.

Kind regards,
James
x

A
A
Unbelievable, just goes to show I made the right choice to cancel it. How in this world can a worker knowingly put in a screw under a 30 degree angle and pass it on in the production line?

I can physically not comprehend how this can even happen considering all the complaints that have been made in the past year about production faults. Surely, one would expect that SOMEBODY - like a manager - in the factory would take notion of this, and literally walk up to the staff and say "Hey guys, many pianos have been poorly assembled, pay attention next time", and then VERIFY later if improvements are made and if not, either make changes in the factory, fire the workers who don't to their job correctly, or put the production process on hold. And how stupid is their business/marketing staff to not realize that this is terrible for their reputation?

And my dealer was still trying to convince me that "If you search on Google, you will find issues with all products because only the people who have issues will write on forums.". Well, yes this is essentially true of course, but then people must experience issues in the first place for that to happen, and they must be severe enough to make them write on a forum.

I put that theory to the test and Googled "Yamaha CLP-785 problems". If my dealer's theory was correct, you would expect at least ONE forum post about issues. But there is nothing to be found. Not saying that piano is issue free, but if this thread got up to more than 100 pages than that means something is truly wrong. The only reason for me not go to for Yamaha is because their action feel unnatural to me and the sound sounds as if it's coming from a box.

Such a shame because the action and sound are so great. But Kawai must really step up their game massively for me to even reconsider this purchase.

Last edited by Arjen B; 05/24/21 06:43 AM.
Page 137 of 191 1 2 135 136 137 138 139 190 191

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission