2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Week Deals
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (AprilE, An Old Square, Ajax69, brdwyguy, c++, 36251, AaronSF, AlphaBravoCharlie, 20 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 502 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

Here's some new product information that may be of interest:

Kawai Japan is pleased to announce the NV10S and NV5S, the latest additions to Kawai’s Novus series of premium hybrid pianos, and the successors to the award-winning NV10 and NV5 respectively. These updated models retain the industry-leading Millennium III grand and upright piano keyboard actions, and unique real damper mechanism of their predecessors, while upgrading a number of sound, delivery, and operation characteristics.

Read more...

Kawai Global website: NV10S product page
Kawai Global website: NV5S product page

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
OP Offline
Changes & Improvements

NV10S
IMPROVED: SK-EX Rendering sound engine with additional Virtual Technician parameters
IMPROVED: Speaker system with 20 cm woofer and optimised speaker positioning
IMPROVED: Updated LCD touchscreen hardware and user interface
IMPROVED: Integrated Bluetooth® MIDI and audio connectivity, with aptX support
NEW: Support for Kawaiʼs latest PianoRemote and PiaBookPlayer apps
NEW: Authentic new electric piano, organ, harpsichord, strings, and bass sounds

NV5S
IMPROVED: SK-EX Rendering sound engine with additional Virtual Technician parameters
IMPROVED: TwinDrive soundboard speaker system, with upgraded primary and secondary transducers
IMPROVED: Updated LCD touchscreen hardware and user interface
IMPROVED: Integrated Bluetooth® MIDI and audio connectivity, with aptX support
NEW: Support for Kawaiʼs latest PianoRemote and PiaBookPlayer apps
NEW: Authentic new electric piano, organ, harpsichord, strings, and bass sounds

Suffice it to say, the purpose of these updated models is largely to bring the NV10/NV5 sound engine and system software up to the same level as the CA99, while also improving the instruments' speaker systems.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
So, what are the changes and improvements? Since you're outside of your edit period, I guess you either forgot to update your second post or there aren't significant upgrades, compared to NV10/NV5?

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
....larger subwoofer and ‘re-configured’ speakers for the NV10S.....

I’d say this alone is significant.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
There's also an optimising UI. 😉

This improved UI is optimising for pianists, and provides easier access to additional sound and functions that inspire musical creativity.

From: https://www.kawai-global.com/news/kawai-announces-new-novus-nv10s-nv5s-hybrid-pianos/

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
....an optimising UI? Am I dreaming or something?

Exponential, I say! smile

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
NE news on ES120?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
For some perspective, it took Yamaha about 7\8 years to release the “X” variant, yet Kawai has released their “S” variant in 4 years (even less for the NV5), and whilst Yamaha’s upgraded sound engine was significant, they did not add bigger subwoofer(s), nor did they re-configure the speakers (they did add a few more watts).

So, I’m not criticizing Yamaha, but rather ratifying my position that we will be seeing major advancements within this decade and not, as my friend magicpiano says, in three decades.

One of the weakest points for the NV10 has been the speakers, and now Kawai has addressed this to a certain extent (what, did you want 10 speakers?). This speaker upgrade plus and upgraded sample/sound engine is indeed significant, and we should be celebrating (except for existing NV5\10 owners). wink

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
One of the weakest points for the NV10 has been the speakers, and now Kawai has addressed this to a certain extent (what, did you want 10 speakers?). This speaker upgrade plus and upgraded sample/sound engine is indeed significant, and we should be celebrating (except for existing NV5\10 owners). wink

Want to believe, but it's been gimmick after gimmick several times over now. I got a good feeling about this one though. grin

Not terribly confident in their software after reading that CA99 thread. Researching further back, it seems they never fixed the stuff all the CA98 people were angry @ either laugh.

Last edited by EinLudov; 05/18/21 06:08 AM.
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Trust me, EinLudov, most of those ‘issues’ are first-world issues...

“Ma, my screen doesn’t go fully black; how shall I survive this catastrophe”.

Meanwhile, there are people ‘round the world happily playing on 80’s Casios.

But I digress and do not want to get in trouble over these ‘issues’ (they can be pretty sensitive about their ‘issues’).

Like you, I have a good feeling about this upgrade, and for those wanting tangible evidence, we now have a bigger subwoofer. It doesn’t get more straightforward than that: bigger woofer = bigger bass!

Top speakers have also been re-configured + improvements to the sound engine which I believe is already very good!

Once again, I ask, what more do you want?

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I was thinking for the price they could've easily used a color oled screen. IPS lcds have really low contrast ratio, so the black looks floaty grey. OLED would also go fully black because it's self emissive.

Hopefully they beefed up the GPU driving their UI, the ca99 iteration has (sync tearing) artifacts at times and it was not very responsive. Higher resolution would be good too, it's pretty blurry as is.

Last edited by EinLudov; 05/18/21 06:20 AM.
OP Offline
Pete, I can tell from the number of responses in this thread that you're extremely enthusiastic about the updated Novus models.

As you correctly point out, the original NV10 and NV5 models were already extremely popular with customers, but improvements to the sound engine, speakers, and system hardware/software on these update models are still nice upgrades to have.

Kind regards,
James
x

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
A hybrid piano is so close to a real piano that, the better it becomes, the more it should approach the actual release cycle of real pianos, namely no new upgrades announced to acoustic pianos for the last 100 years wink

A hybrid is all about a real piano action. A real piano action has been the same for the last 150 years. Well, as any other digital piano, it is also about sound: sound generation + sound reproduction.

Yamaha had a real grand piano action even with their previous generation, and sensors at both keys and hammers to allow for every possible nuance to be expressed (silent press, slow release, etc.). The AG-sound reproduction system is (rather universally) praised with the soundboard in the N3X, the multi-channel reproduction in the N2 and N1.

What they decided to upgrade after 10 years was the only thing which is still evolving in digital pianos, the sound engine. And frankly, nobody made any real progress in the last 10 years, well, they added modeled resonances, sample length was increased, binaural samples are used. That's it. Next upgrade is after another 10 years. I don't care if the UI uses lamp switches from the 60-s or fancy touch screen since I bought an expensive hybrid piano to play with the real hammer action, rather than with its UI.

What NV-instruments undeniably added to the concept is the real dampers. Kudos to that. But the sensing logic is only at hammers (which leads to inability to detect release velocity, for instance), the reproduction system is stereo only, not multi-channel and the sound engine is similar to Yamaha. I don't think we're seeing any new revolution or something that sends Yamaha back to the drawing boards. I could even say there are important areas where NV-series needed to catch up (and are probably still in that situation). Why is a new NV5 announced so soon after the previous one? IMHO this is a bad marketing strategy because it enrages customers. These are not supposed to be throw-away instruments and people expect that they bought a piano replacement and with real pianos you don't upgrade every 2 years. But I might be wrong.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M

R
R
Originally Posted by Pete14
...I have a good feeling about this upgrade, and for those wanting tangible evidence, we now have a bigger subwoofer. It doesn’t get more straightforward than that: bigger woofer = bigger bass!

Top speakers have also been re-configured + improvements to the sound engine which I believe is already very good!

I think I'll get a chance to try out the new NV10S, and see how much improvement it actually has.

CA98+ART RM5~~RME ADI2 DAC+tube Pre-Amp
VSL CFX&D274&Bluthner1895, Pianoteq7, Ivory2 ACD, Galaxy VintageD&StD, Bechstein DG, Embertone 1955Walker
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Pete, I can tell from the number of responses in this thread that you're extremely enthusiastic about the updated Novus models.

As you correctly point out, the original NV10 and NV5 models were already extremely popular with customers, but improvements to the sound engine, speakers, and system hardware/software on these update models are still nice upgrades to have.

Kind regards,
James
x

Indeed, I am very happy, James. smile

Q
Q
I can't wait to try this out!

No idea when dealers around here will get it in stock, but I've had my Clavinova for almost 15 years so I can wait another year or two.

E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Is the price changing?

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Why is a new NV5 announced so soon after the previous one? IMHO this is a bad marketing strategy because it enrages customers. These are not supposed to be throw-away instruments and people expect that they bought a piano replacement and with real pianos you don't upgrade every 2 years. But I might be wrong.

CG, I think this was the right thing to do, and it most likely will be a one-time thing.

In the future, releasing these two instruments simultaneously makes more sense to me, and I’m certain that Kawai will most likely maintain a 4/5 year release-cycle for future upgrades.

Take the N3X, for example, it was released two years ahead of the N1X, and despite being the ‘top-model’ it lacks an audio interface; which the N1X has despite being the cheaper model. For many this is not an incidental feature, and perhaps Yamaha could’ve avoided this if they’d released both instruments simultaneously. I hope they follow on Kawai’s initiative for the future, and we see the ‘N4X and N2X’ released simultaneously; it just makes more sense to me.

U
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
U
Maybe this could result in a chance to get a non-s model for a great price?

Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 32 33

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How are digital piano actions weighted?
by KeyboardAficionado - 12/05/21 01:30 PM
Play Piano Today Series
by writebynight - 12/05/21 12:59 PM
How can I remove the sostenuto bar in a grand piano?
by EdwardPiano - 12/05/21 09:29 AM
Sanding hammers - weird question
by Del Vento - 12/05/21 09:19 AM
Jonah
by tre corda - 12/05/21 09:17 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics210,402
Posts3,150,829
Members103,528
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission