2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (claburo, clothearednincompo, Blague, Damien PG, CyberGene, 10 invisible), 305 guests, and 480 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present)
L
L
James Pavel Shawcross*

K
K
I just wonder how they are eqing the video. In the video they are sounding totally different from the sound in real life. Anyone? Any idea?

_
_
Originally Posted by Kihar
I just wonder how they are eqing the video. In the video they are sounding totally different from the sound in real life. Anyone? Any idea?

I didn't check this particular video, but this is the general problem with all DP video reviews.
Mostly they use DP line-out. So the sound you hear is kind of similar to what you'd get if you connected your speakers/headphones to the DP line-out (phones-out if no line-out). Which is mostly quite different from the built-in speakers sound. Add some streaming compression artefacts.
In some cases they use mics. That brings the built-in speakers into the equation. But of course they are still reproduced with your speakers/headphones, and in addition there is the microphone with its properties.
Bottom line, for the sound in real life you must be there smile

K
K
When I listen to these videos they are usually recorded from line output. So the sound should be about the same when I listen to it with the same headphones that I use with my digital piano or am I missing something? The sound of video is totally different from the sound of headphone jack.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
This is click bait!

When you say James ‘round here, it means James, Kawai James!

C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Kihar
When I listen to these videos they are usually recorded from line output.

This one apparently isn't.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
I'll just quote myself here.

Originally Posted by EinLudov
I saw the video, Oh man, JP's gonna get an earful from the kawai reps. grin

Quote (paraphrase from video):

Kawai is losing track of what they're doing.

The es520 and the es920 just don't inspire me.

Buy es110, it has the best pianistic response" gringrin

RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The ES110 action is the best, IMO.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present)
RinTin Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Due to the clarity of the video, I think he’s obviously using their line outs.

C
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
C
It could be recorded with quality microphones in an acoustically treated small space.

I mean... it's a recording studio he's in. 😉

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Pete14
This is click bait!

"My name is James... Kawai James". smile

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
Originally Posted by Pete14
This is click bait!

LoL, I also thought this . . .

U
uuu Offline
U
I've watched quite a few of this chap's reviews. In some, he does mention that he's using the line-out.

I do enjoy his attitude. Clearly he's a fan of acoustic piano, but is not biased towards the high-end digitals - happy to praise more modest instruments. He also seems to be independent.

G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by RinTin
Due to the clarity of the video, I think he’s obviously using their line outs.
For some reason, even his acoustic piano recordings sound as if they are processed or eq driven. Not sure, but it never sounds natural to me.

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
Mason and Hamlin BB
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
1) From the video I can hear clearly that the SK-EX piano patch in the ES920 HI-XL engine sounds better than the PHI one in the ES520. The HI-XL engine uses longer samples and I'm pretty sure it has 2 more velocity layers, one in the upper range, one in the lower range, so it sounds more rich, round and deep, especially when you play piano/pianissimo in the first 3 octaves, but the beginner probably would not notice these differences... They are very subtle.

2) The guy in the video clearly confused the RH-II action with the RHC-II action, because he thought that, from the specs, the RHC-II should have a let-off simulation. The RH-II action has the let-off, but the RHC-II is a totally different action, so it's normal it has NO let-off.

3) He says the ES110 is the best for a traveling pianist, because it has the lighter case, the piano sound is not the best but it's nice enough, and the key action responds better than that in the RH-III. I think the main reason for this is that he considers the fake let-off just as an hindrance to his playing. It doesn't let you play better, it just get in the way of your pianissimo playing, and being just a fake rubbery thing, it doesn't quite feel like the true let-off you have on an acoustic piano action. I agree with him on this point: the current fake let-off emulation we have on middle/high-range plastic/plastic-wood actions is just an hindrance in pianissimo playing, so paradoxically, the cheaper Kawai action is the more playable one.

But he didn't say that the ES520 action is basically the same of the ES110 one, but with 3 sensors instead of just 2, so it should be the best of the 3. Maybe he should do a video where he plays the ES520 as a MIDI controller for the ES920.

Sometimes I think how great it would be if you could buy your perfect digital piano by choosing its components in the same way you choose optionals for a car. For example:

- case: ES8, ES920
- key action: RHC-II, RH-III, GFC, GF3.
- engine: PHI, HI-XL, SK-EX Rendering Engine
- UI panel: LCD/OLED textual UI with buttons, touch-screen panel graphical UI.

and so on... You could buy the best compromise for your pockets and your needs!

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
No, kawai's site clearly made a mistake in the labeling on their site, RH2 with letoff.

He definitely knows this though because it's labeled correctly on the same page in paragraphs, and other sources as rhc 2, so he's just using this discrepancy as a talking point, common in journalism.

On kawai us, it's incorrect, on kawai global it's correct.

As for RHC1 vs RHC2 between es110 and 520, it's not straightforward, because the hardware and software have changed, their interconnectedness could lead the user to perceive a different lvl of playability, but this is subjective.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by EinLudov; 05/19/21 07:56 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EinLudov
No, kawai's site clearly made a mistake in the labeling on their site, RH2 with letoff.

He definitely knows this though because it's labeled correctly on the same page in paragraphs, and other sources as rhc 2, so he's just using this discrepancy as a talking point, common in journalism.

On kawai us, it's incorrect, on kawai global it's correct.
So are you saying he is deliberately discrediting Kawai with that trick? Is he in bad terms with Kawai? I don't think that's the case (considering the big amount of Kawai instruments he has)... IMHO it's just that he didn't do his homework well before doing the video. He even admitted the mistake in a comment:
[Linked Image]
But... Who knows... Everything is possible!

As for RHC1 vs RHC2 between es110 and 520, it's not straightforward, because the hardware and software have changed, their interconnectedness could lead the user to perceive a different lvl of playability, but this is subjective.
IMHO he should have played the EX ConcertGrand patch on the ES520 and the 920, instead of the SK-EX one, to make a better comparison between actions, being that the ES110 has only the EX sound.

Originally Posted by magicpiano
1)Sometimes I think how great it would be if you could buy your perfect digital piano by choosing its components in the same way you choose optionals for a car. For example:

That’s a great idea.

TH
[Linked Image]
M
M
Originally Posted by magicpiano
Sometimes I think how great it would be if you could buy your perfect digital piano by choosing its components in the same way you choose optionals for a car. For example:

You mean, buy a midi controller, iPad/android/laptop/raspberry pi, VST, and monitors? smile

I thought about it, but not actually that many good controller options. Plus the maintenance overhead.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,783
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission