2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (chopin_r_us, Alex McG, 1957, Christopher90, Bill McKaig,RPT, 12 invisible), 274 guests, and 495 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3118780 05/17/21 09:20 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi,

I wanted to get some advice. I want to buy a small grand piano. I live in an apartment with limited space and my building’s elevator limits me to a piano around 5 ft.

There are 2 used pianos that meet my requirements available at stores in my area and the difference in price is about $2k. I can get a 2018 Yamaha GB1K or a 1996 Kawai GE 1 for $2k less than the Yamaha one.

I’ve played the Yamaha GB1k that i’d be getting and I was happy with the feel and sound. I know the Yamaha I’m looking at is the budget model but I can’t find that much information about the Kawai GE 1. Also with the Kawai being that much older, would it even matter if it was better originally?

Thank you!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
From the current edition of Pianobuyer: "The GB1K has simplified case construction and cabinetry, no duplex scale, and the middle pedal operates a bass-sustain mechanism. It does have a soft-close fallboard. It is currently the only Yamaha grand sold in the U.S. that is made in Indonesia."

From the 2002 edition of the Piano book: "A GE-1AS model has duplex scaling, a slow close fallboard, and NEOTEX keytops." The GE model also has agraffes and was built in Japan.

In the 2002 Piano Book there is some discussion about how the small entry level Kawai grands compared to the entry level Yamaha grands of the time. Kawai seemed to have an edge from a musical standpoint. HOWEVER, this was the situation in 2002 - not 1996. I have no idea how the specifications of the Kawai GE model of 1996 compared to those of 2002.

The Yamaha is 22 years newer than the Kawai. If you like the feel and sound it probably is worth the extra $2K investment. The fact that it was built in Indonesia shouldn't be a major concern. However, if the Kawai is in pristine condition, and if you can verify that it has a full sostenuto pedal, agraffes, duplex scaling and slow close fallboard, it might definitely be worth considering. ALSO - it might be possible to negotiate the price of the 1996 Kawai down a bit.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
P
P
I started with a Yamaha GB1K (2014-15 I think - it was only 1 year old at the time and barely used), for the same reasons - tight budget and small spaces. I would agree that (especially for budget grands) age isn’t their friend and the 20+ year old Kawai would most likely loose any edge it had over a GB1K unless it was kept in pristine condition (and even then it might still be a tie at that point).

Entry level grands can sound good new, but don’t last as long since they aren’t built as well (that’s the point of budgets and that’s ok) and paying for voicing and regulation often isn’t considered worth it on them.

Eventually I stepped up to a C1X which was a huge difference even at the same size (but also more money). And I would recommend checking with wherever you buy to see if there are trade-in programs for the future if you want to eventually upgrade.

Last edited by Player13; 05/18/21 12:55 PM.
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Condition is king. Play both pianos. IF you prefer the Kawai have it examined by a piano technician. IF you prefer the new Yamaha, buy it.

Easy-peasy. smile

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you for the responses! I am going with the 2018 Yamaha. Both stores allow me to trade up but the store that has the newer Yamaha also has more selection of both new and used pianos compared to the store with the older Kawai. That store only carries older reconditioned pianos.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,766
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission