2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Congratulations on your new piano!

Did you consider and get a chance to try out the GL-30 with the silent feature?

Like you, I’d love to have the option to practice scales and work out pieces in the privacy of my earphones. It would be great to do so on a real grand piano action if that’s an affordable option—and that also doesn’t affect the feel of the action in any way when playing acoustically.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Mechadogzilla
Congratulations on your new piano!

Did you consider and get a chance to try out the GL-30 with the silent feature?

Like you, I’d love to have the option to practice scales and work out pieces in the privacy of my earphones. It would be great to do so on a real grand piano action if that’s an affordable option—and that also doesn’t affect the feel of the action in any way when playing acoustically.

There are three reasons that prevented me to choose the silent action:

1) Its cost: three thousands euro (or dollar) would (almost) make the difference between the GL-10 and the GL-30, or between the GL-30 and the GL-40. I thought it was better to spend this money to get a better model.

2) Electronics is subject to a faster depreciation, I already have a digital piano (a Yamaha CVP 307), after 12 years I have to call the technician to repair some problems on the keyboard (the keys of the central octaves sometimes get stuck). After 10 years it would be easier to change a separate digital piano than a silent feature that could present problems.

3) Eventually, I would prefer to have a separate digital piano that I can also carry with me (unfortunately, this is not the case of the CVP 307!).

Of course, the silent feature is also very useful and wouldn't be for its cost I would have liked to have it!

Guido

Last edited by Guido, Roma - Italy; 05/12/21 02:04 AM.

"I tell my piano things" that I don’t have to tell everyone.
smile
Frederic Chopin (revisited)
M
M
All good reasons. Agree that the inevitable obsolescence of the technology and its potential to just stop working properly are concerns. I wonder if it’s something that can be readily removed if needed at some point.

V
V
Congratulation on your new and nice piano which is located in a fantastic room too. I envy you for it because I have no dedicated, nice room for my piano. Just a small note: possibly you will need to move the piano a little bit when the technician pulls out the action for regulation and voicing (the right side of the piano is seems close to the wall).

Every day is a gift
V
V
You are very lucky to be able to have he piano in a room in the middle of the apartment with only a store (shop) under it and nobody in the apartment upstairs in the whole morning. Anyway congratulation on your GL-30. I guess its has a composite action. How is the touch of the keys?

VuongMinh Duc
OP Offline
I wonder if it’s something that can be readily removed if needed at some point.

It is a difficult decision, silent or not silent? I guess if I did nit already have a digital piano AND if this was not my last piano (I am 66 years old, little chances to buy another one) I would perhaps have bought a silent GL-10!

The keyboards are absolutely similar.

smile
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Vuong
Anyway congratulation on your GL-30. I guess its has a composite action. How is the touch of the keys?

The touch of the keys is excellent, the main reason that brought me to choose thee GL-30, even though it was not really prepped by the dealer and I was tempted to buy a Yamaha GC2. I was confident about the feeling I had with the touch of the keyboard, the main feature that could really be tested, the sound it is difficult to evaluate because it depends on how it is prepped the piano, how it is located, in your home it will sound differently.

The GL series is a new innivative piano compared to the Yamaha GC series.

By the way,besides Yamahas, I had the possibility to try a Boston, and a Steinway, I preferred the touch of the GL-30!

smile
OP Offline
Originally Posted by VinV
Just a small note: possibly you will need to move the piano a little bit when the technician pulls out the action for regulation and voicing (the right side of the piano is seems close to the wall).

You are right. I know, when the technician will need to regulate the action we will move the piano, and I will let him choose the best position.

I am still in a strange condition: I do not yet believe to actually have a baby grand in my apartment! It is me who play this gorgeous musical instrument?? Incredible!

smile
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
It's always so exciting to have everything turn out better than expected!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Well the the grand is real, and it's in your apartment,and you are real ! So enjoy playing piano.The GL30 has the same action as the GX and the piano is made right there in Japan. So yes all real ! Enjoy!

Last edited by tre corda; 05/15/21 06:18 PM.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

V
V
I can understand and can share the happy and incredible feelings with you. The primary objective of my piano searching was an upright such as K300 or K500 then we ended up with Kawai GL20. It took me few months to figure out the piano in my home belongs to me.

Every day is a gift
OP Offline
Just a small note: possibly you will need to move the piano a little bit when the technician pulls out the action for regulation and voicing (the right side of the piano is seems close to the wall).

You are right. I know, when the technician will need to regulate the action we will move the piano, and I will let him choose the best position.

I am still in a strange condition: I do not yet believe to actually have a baby grand in my apartment! Am I the one who plays this gorgeous musical instrument?? Incredible!

Last edited by Guido, Roma - Italy; 05/16/21 09:36 AM.

smile
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Guido, Roma - Italy

I am still in a strange condition: I do not yet believe to actually have a baby grand in my apartment! Am I the one who plays this gorgeous musical instrument?? Incredible!

You feel the way I hope every new piano owner feels—- incredulity that you really own the wonderful piano in your home! Warms my heart ❤️

OP Offline
I can understand and can share the happy and incredible feelings with you. The primary objective of my piano searching was an upright such as K300 or K500 then we ended up with Kawai GL20. It took me few months to figure out the piano in my home belongs to me.

I'm glad you own a GL-20! I made a search in this forum of the owners of the GL series to ask for advices, but actually I was able to find only a few of them.

In Italy, Kawai does not sell the GL-20, therefore, I had to choose between a GL-10 and a GL-30, otherwise I would have chosen a GL-20, maybe. Other members if this forum wrote to me with good comments on the GL-20, they wrote that it has a beautiful warm sound (whereas the GL-30 is considered brigther).

Do you have the silent feature?

smile
OP Offline

I'm glad you own a GL-20! I made a search in this forum of the owners of the GL series to ask for advices, but actually I was able to find only a few of them.

In Italy, Kawai does not sell the GL-20, therefore, I had to choose between a GL-10 and a GL-30, otherwise I would have chosen a GL-20, maybe. Other members if this forum wrote to me with good comments on the GL-20, they wrote that it has a beautiful warm sound (whereas the GL-30 is considered brigther).

Do you have the silent feature?

smile
OP Offline
All good reasons. Agree that the inevitable obsolescence of the technology and its potential to just stop working properly are concerns. I wonder if it’s something that can be readily removed if needed at some point.

I guess yes, it should be esaily removable. In any case, technology has done great steps and the silent feature will be ok at least for 10 years, at that point you will have the chance to upgrade it, maybe. The real problem for me was the cost:

Choose a GL-10 with a silent feature
or
Choose a GL-30 without silent feature

smile
V
V
Hi Guido, I don’t have the silent system. It is my 1st acoustic piano so I had no idea how loud it will be in my apartment. For that reason it took me much time to reduce its volume in order to avoid disturbing my family and my neighbors. I never try GL30 but I am surprised to learn that it is brighter than GL20. Maybe voicing can help in case you prefer more mellow sounds.

Every day is a gift
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Guido, congratulations!!!!!!!

It looks just wonderful where you have it!!

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 05/17/21 11:04 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission