2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3118467 05/17/21 06:54 AM
E
OP Offline
E
Hi,

my stack is mp11, ravenscroft, the garritan cfx, and pianoteq.
I'm using schitt audio Jotunheim as a dac (its also for the hd700 amp headphones).
currently I have the adam a5x monitors which are fine but not awesome (on the hd700 sound is much more crisp and real) and I would like to have similar experience without the headphones.

so, I would like to upgrade my monitors and I'm debating between few models.

I was wondering, for piano, I'm not sure studio monitors are a must, maybe another bookshelf speakers can do the job.

option 1: focal solo
option 2: edifier a300 pro
option 3: adam s2v

or if you have another recommendation i would be happy to hear.

many thanks,

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have recently upgraded to Adam A7X and can vouch for them

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by euphoria
Hi,

my stack is mp11, ravenscroft, the garritan cfx, and pianoteq.
I'm using schitt audio Jotunheim as a dac (its also for the hd700 amp headphones).
currently I have the adam a5x monitors which are fine but not awesome (on the hd700 sound is much more crisp and real) and I would like to have similar experience without the headphones.

so, I would like to upgrade my monitors and I'm debating between few models.

I was wondering, for piano, I'm not sure studio monitors are a must, maybe another bookshelf speakers can do the job.

option 1: focal solo
option 2: edifier a300 pro
option 3: adam s2v

or if you have another recommendation i would be happy to hear.

many thanks,

The A7X are below the specs you're looking at, but some perceive that slightly better than the A7X and around the cost of the the A7X are the:

Neumann KH120A
Genelec 8030C

Some people buy extra Genelec 7040A's to go with the 8030C.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/neumann-kh120a-or-genelec-8030c.11109/

RichieBill decided on the Neumanns during this post
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2810237/focal-shape-or-neumann-kh120.html for Piano, and was pleased with the results.

Last edited by Doug M.; 05/17/21 08:12 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
E
OP Offline
E
i'm not sure this is a big improvement to my current setup (a5x).
i want a big jump, maybe to add a sub. not sure what will be the optimal setup

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
i'm not sure this is a big improvement to my current setup (a5x).

I would test them! There is a diminishing return the more you pay. If you can't test due to Covid, I would also PM RichieBill and ask him what the jump is like, as I think he tested a bunch of options.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
The reason it sounds more detailed on headphones is because headphones are not subject to room cancellations which warps your frequency response curve..

I'd argue against your description that headphones sound more real, as there's severe positional inaccuracy in the sound, despite more neutral freq resp. Binaural piano samples would indeed be more real as they're fully adapted for headgear.

You're never going to achieve the clarity you get on headphones by simply buying new monitors as that is not the source of the problem.

Last edited by EinLudov; 05/17/21 09:22 AM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Maybe you can test at a pro-audio dealer somewhat nearby to try several models side by side?

If you will just use the system for VI Pianos, a good subwoofer won't add much, maybe ever so little to the lowest registers and room ambience. Plus they are expensive and difficult to set up. Subwoofers are awesome for organs, action movies, and some music.

For VI pianos, monitors with bigger drivers might perform a bit better in your room. But you never know until you try.

Finally, by changing the room a bit you may find your current monitors sound better. Even small changes can have a big difference. Move the monitors a bit, move the digital piano a bit. Monitors closer to a wall or corner may boost bass. Try some furnishing changes (add or remove a rug, open or close a door, pull curtains over a window, move some furniture around...)

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by EinLudov
You're never going to achieve the clarity you get on headphones by simply buying new monitors as that is not the source of the problem.

Amen to that.

I have been trying for "headphone" clarity for years.

Jumping at each "recommendation" with high hopes.

Each time, disappointed.

I have come to the conclusion that playing digital pianos wearing headphones is a mistake which fosters that search for "perfection" which does not exist.

Maybe a better approach is to stop playing wearing headphones.

That might bring me back down to reality and let the piano sound the way it sounds and just deal with it.

Which, by the way .... is exactly the process when purchasing an acoustic piano.

Oh .... I guess you can have it "tuned" slightly to produce a variation in tone but you mostly just play it.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Monitor size makes a crucial difference for piano realism. If you have enough budget I'd advise you to buy a pair of good 8 inches monitors like Mackie HR824 mk2, Adam A8X, Genelec 8040B, or similar. At the same time I would not recommend to buy something of top product series, these IMO will be an overkill for piano samples and therefore a waste of your money.

Buying a setup with a sub is risky, because sub is very sensitive to room acoustics, it can spoil the sound instead of improving it.

Last edited by Iaroslav Vasiliev; 05/17/21 11:29 AM.
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
I find it also depends on the virtual piano being used.

My current setup works well with both the VSL Vienna Imperial and the VSL Bösendorfer Imperial. But is entirely lacking for the VSL Bösendorfer VC280 and right now the VC280 is my go to virtual piano. So I keep reaching for the headphones. It isn't a nightmare but via the headphones it is so much better.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
I also find that if I stick to classical music with very little (if any) chords involved, everything sound very good using external monitors.

However, it is when I begin playing some jazz music with various voicings and and tensions that sound through headphones is excellent but through monitors .... not so much.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
E
OP Offline
E
so what would you suggest?
larger and better quality monitors won't do the difference?

anyone can recommend about the edifier a300 pro?
i don't care about flat, or the exact sound, i just want it to sound as real as possible with good clarity

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
i just want it to sound as real as possible with good clarity

Don't we all.

Don

E
OP Offline
E
now I'm not sure this is worth it, invest 2000$ for high end monitors to achieve almost the same result...

regarding @dmd, you're correct, jazzy chords sounds better on the headphones. +1 for that.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

I'm under the impression that the use of hifi (bookshelf-) speakers is often overlooked as it comes to piano playing.

For my setup, I tested and compared 5" JBL (active) monitors and several models and sizes of hifi speakers (in combination with decent stereo amplifiers).

I much preferred the hifi side of things over the active monitors. I settled on four Wharfedale 11.1 5" bookshelves (a now discontinued model) and am as happy as can be with my piano sound. My subwoofer now stands joblessly aside.

A near-field speaker setup is also important, for that literally gives more connection with your instrument, as well as eliminates/attenuates at least some of the inevitable room acoustics artifacts.

Cheers and happy listening,

HZ

Ubu Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
so what would you suggest?

Accoustic foam panels on the walls for room treatment.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HZPiano
I'm under the impression that the use of hifi (bookshelf-) speakers is often overlooked as it comes to piano playing.
I use some basic bookshelf speakers too. With DIY speaker stands built from scrap wood and a left-over, 2-channel Rotel amp.

Originally Posted by HZPiano
A near-field speaker setup is also important, for that literally gives more connection with your instrument, as well as eliminates/attenuates at least some of the inevitable room acoustics artifacts.
I don't know if many hifi speakers are designed for near-field listening. The crossovers on my hifi speakers were changed for nearer-field listening by an audio engineer.

Good modern monitors typically have dedicated amps optimised for each individual driver and the speakerbox. And monitors are typically designed for near-field listening (I suppose time-aligning drivers & designing bass for potential wall mounting). These can be big advantages but I don't think they sound significantly better than my bookshelf speakers.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission