2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 13 invisible), 2,107 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
pold Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
These vst programmers are so confident in their product they compared their vst to the original recording. I am glad I often preferred the VST to the acoustic one. Try replay the challenge, and let me know your impressions:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I have that VST (listen mmathew grin ) and yes, it has some special character which may help to hidden it from the real thing. It is a low cost but effective VST IMHO

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
"We asked listeners to listen to 10 short excerpts"

That might mean something like, listen on their cheap laptop, with their possibly crappy headphones, to mp3 files

What does this mean to audio quality of the sounds they are scoring?

Also this comparison is probably not relevant to evaluate PLAYING instead of listening a real acoustic piano versus DP. (you would not listen to an acoustic that you play yourself through headphones).

Also, a test with 10 participants ? I doubt that this has any statistical meaning.

BTW I could not see the entire video, it keeps hanging up at random

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Why do you assume that I have a ‘cheap laptop’ with ‘possibly crappy headphones’?

P
pold Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
and why do you assume this is for a player point of you? It is obviously just for a listening perspective.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
@Pete I don't quite follow you

(1) They *completed* their comparison contest. So why would it be relevant what you have
(2) Why would assume you were part of that contest
(3) Where did you read that I assumed that YOU have a crappy headphones or cheap laptop?
(4) Why would I assume you do NOT have these?

etc.

I understood they want to compare real acoustic and VST pianos.

Maybe your qeustions are related to some part of the video that I could not see or maybe I misunderstood the purpose of their experiment.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I got question #1 correct.

I lost interest at question #2. At number 2, the second choice piano had very artificial, overdone reverb. So, I identified it as the VST. HaHa, the joke's on me. Upon announcing the results, the tester then revealed that "artificial reverb" was added to this supposed "reference recording".

I have better things to do with my time than to play wipe-up rag for a mega ego masturbater. This clown must have had a great time "fooling" his listeners, and self celebrating his genius. Hopefully, his arm will soon grow tired.

If you haven't already wasted your time on this test, skip this one and find something more productive to do with your precious time.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Ah I now see, you are assuming I'm commenting on your comments. But I was commenting on the experiment on the video.

P
pold Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Ralphiano

I lost interest at question #2. At number 2, the second choice piano had very artificial, overdone reverb. So, I identified it as the VST. HaHa, the joke's on me. Upon announcing the results, the tester then revealed that "artificial reverb" was added to this supposed "reference recording".

I have better things to do with my time than to play wipe-up rag for a mega ego masturbater. This clown must have had a great time "fooling" his listeners, and self celebrating his genius. Hopefully, his arm will soon grow tired.

If you haven't already wasted your time on this test, skip this one and find something more productive to do with your precious time.

Heck, the clip was only 11 minutes, and by judging your post, you probably spent 99% of your life on hatred and rude language.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by pold

Heck, the clip was only 11 minutes, and by judging your post, you probably spent 99% of your life on hatred and rude language.

Were you a willing participant, or just an unwitting dupe in this fraudulent scheme?

You posted that

These vst programmers are so confident in their product they compared their vst to the original recording.

when the truth was quite the contrary, as they purposefully degraded the direct recording of the acoustic to the effect that their VST would sound better in comparison. Are you in on this scheme, or did you just not recognize it? What is your interest in "Signature Grand" or "SimpleSamSample"?

As for 99% of my time, it has been spent doing a lot of things. Fortunately, it has been spent acting within the moral confines of the principles of honesty, decency, and due regard for the lives of others, that my loving parents ingrained within me. It is something that appears to have been left out of the moral training of members of the SimpleSam cabal.

As for your dislike of my language, I have no words that would be meaningful to anyone who is more concerned about the words a victim chooses to rebuke his offender than he is about the offender's offense in the first place.

Ralph

Kawai VPC1
Garritan CFX
Pianist since April, 2015
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
And they have the Franck Prelude Chorale and Fugue up!!! Really interesting!

Q
Q
LOL what is happening here

P
pold Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
P

Were you a willing participant, or just an unwitting dupe in this fraudulent scheme?

You posted that

These vst programmers are so confident in their product they compared their vst to the original recording.

when the truth was quite the contrary, as they purposefully degraded the direct recording of the acoustic to the effect that their VST would sound better in comparison. Are you in on this scheme, or did you just not recognize it? What is your interest in "Signature Grand" or "SimpleSamSample"?

As for 99% of my time, it has been spent doing a lot of things. Fortunately, it has been spent acting within the moral confines of the principles of honesty, decency, and due regard for the lives of others, that my loving parents ingrained within me. It is something that appears to have been left out of the moral training of members of the SimpleSam cabal.

As for your dislike of my language, I have no words that would be meaningful to anyone who is more concerned about the words a victim chooses to rebuke his offender than he is about the offender's offense in the first place.

I don't have this vst, but I enjoyed their demos so far, and many people loving it.
If they purposefully degraded the direct recording it's a big accusation, so are you sure of it or are you just trying to be a piece of work?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

I have better things to do with my time

Exactly the same thing happened to me!
However, I was still interested, also because it is quite affordable. Until I read on their website:

"Designed for the full version of Kontakt 5 or 6 (Download Only). The instrument will not work with the free version of Kontakt."

And Kontakt 6 costs... 399 euros!
No Signature Grand for me. laugh

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha

I have better things to do with my time

Exactly the same thing happened to me!
However, I was still interested, also because it is quite affordable. Until I read on their website:

"Designed for the full version of Kontakt 5 or 6 (Download Only). The instrument will not work with the free version of Kontakt."

And Kontakt 6 costs... 399 euros!
No Signature Grand for me. laugh

Some time ago I upgraded to Komplete 12 CE for about that amount and it included Kontakt full version. It has opened a full new world of virtual instruments.

Yes, having fun is expensive!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]
G
G
i'm not quite convinced with the playability, there are some serious issues which make it unplayable for some music for me .

Kawai E200-ATX3
Mostly VSL's, Garritan, Modern U, Grandeur
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gamma1734
i'm not quite convinced with the playability, there are some serious issues which make it unplayable for some music for me .

Can you elaborate?. You for sure are a lots better player than myself so perhaps I am not able to find out things you do. Thanks!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission