2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (chopin_r_us, Alex McG, 1957, Christopher90, Bill McKaig,RPT, 12 invisible), 275 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
OP Offline
D
Hi everyone! I'm an audiophile, music and piano lover and this is my first post on this forum. I'm currently looking for a rebuilt piano and, while definitely remaining open to falling in love with any other brand or particular piano, to be honest I almost exclusively like the Steinway tone & timbre so far. The old, turn of the last century Bluthner "golden tone" is also a very different but enjoyable alternative for me. Oh, and Fazioli too, but it's out of question money-wise. I like a warm, colorful sound with very expressive midrange. Since I can not afford a new Steinway, I'm considering finding a more financially accessible, preferably fully rebuilt instrument.

Which leads me to this request: could you please point me to some reputable rebuilders in Europe? Can you give me some feedback about them? These are the ones I've found so far (some of them are selling pianos reconditioned to various degrees, not exactly "full rebuilds"):
1. Piano Restorations from UK - I've read a few very positive feedbacks about them but there are some issues I'm not sure I could overcome: the distance (I'm living in Eastern Europe), the Brexit (custom taxes) and the price (I think I can stretch it to ~ 35 - 37 000 Euro, the Model O currently on their site is 40 000 pounds)
2. SAP Renovation in Poland - a few comments seem to indicate they are (were?) doing a good job with restoring, not always so good with the subsequent preparation / voicing; also, on the high side price-wise
3. classicpianos.de - I know nothing about them but I like this Model M very much, maybe the most of all the samples I've heard:
(before you object, I know youtube is not the same as hearing the real thing I have a rather discerning ear - a pair, actually - and a very good audio setup so I think I can get a pretty good idea)
4. Pianelli - large retailer, no idea about the quality of their work, I think I like this model B, for instance: https://www.pianelli.de/steinway-sons-b-fluegel-gebraucht-19451.html
5. Thomann - same as the above, no sound samples
6. klavierhalle.de - I talked to them at the phone twice, in English, the lady was quite friendly and accommodating; never emailed me the requested sound samples as agreed, though (never answered to the emails, actually)
7. piano-mueller.de - surprisingly, I liked a Bechstein from them, especially the upper midrange and treble: https://www.piano-mueller.de/produkt/c-bechstein-konzertfluegel-modell-b-203/

Many thanks!

K
kre Online Content
Online Content
K
Our local S&S dealer uses SAP for restorations, and speaks highly of them.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Unless you already have an old Steinway needing restoration you might perhaps, instead of searching for restorers, search for pianos on Klaviano where you should find many used Steinways with varying degrees of restoration for sale. You can then enquire as to the work that was done on those pianos.

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
You could ask on clavio.de. That forum would give you general advice on how to proceed and one or two of its members may know of a piano you could consider.

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Once you have made your list of good options, know that there will be a great deal of variability in the finished pianos of even the same rebuilder. I generally find that to be more so than what I experience with new pianos out of the factory. To be fair, the extent of rebuilding for each individual piano tends to vary based on age and condition, not to mention the inherent design differences in the various pianos you’ve already mentioned.

For someone very discerning, I would suggest considering only finished rebuilds and not buy on reputation or speculation alone.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by donquichotte
Hi everyone! I'm an audiophile, music and piano lover and this is my first post on this forum. I'm currently looking for a rebuilt piano and, while definitely remaining open to falling in love with any other brand or particular piano, to be honest I almost exclusively like the Steinway tone & timbre so far. The old, turn of the last century Bluthner "golden tone" is also a very different but enjoyable alternative for me. Oh, and Fazioli too, but it's out of question money-wise. I like a warm, colorful sound with very expressive midrange. Since I can not afford a new Steinway, I'm considering finding a more financially accessible, preferably fully rebuilt instrument.

Which leads me to this request: could you please point me to some reputable rebuilders in Europe? Can you give me some feedback about them? These are the ones I've found so far (some of them are selling pianos reconditioned to various degrees, not exactly "full rebuilds"):
1. Piano Restorations from UK - I've read a few very positive feedbacks about them but there are some issues I'm not sure I could overcome: the distance (I'm living in Eastern Europe), the Brexit (custom taxes) and the price (I think I can stretch it to ~ 35 - 37 000 Euro, the Model O currently on their site is 40 000 pounds)
2. SAP Renovation in Poland - a few comments seem to indicate they are (were?) doing a good job with restoring, not always so good with the subsequent preparation / voicing; also, on the high side price-wise
3. classicpianos.de - I know nothing about them but I like this Model M very much, maybe the most of all the samples I've heard:
(before you object, I know youtube is not the same as hearing the real thing I have a rather discerning ear - a pair, actually - and a very good audio setup so I think I can get a pretty good idea)
4. Pianelli - large retailer, no idea about the quality of their work, I think I like this model B, for instance: https://www.pianelli.de/steinway-sons-b-fluegel-gebraucht-19451.html
5. Thomann - same as the above, no sound samples
6. klavierhalle.de - I talked to them at the phone twice, in English, the lady was quite friendly and accommodating; never emailed me the requested sound samples as agreed, though (never answered to the emails, actually)
7. piano-mueller.de - surprisingly, I liked a Bechstein from them, especially the upper midrange and treble: https://www.piano-mueller.de/produkt/c-bechstein-konzertfluegel-modell-b-203/

Many thanks!

Regarding the price of any rebuilder's work, the best thing to do is talk with them. Piano Restorations, should you wish to use them, will probably be willing to negotiate. The problem with Steinway pianos is that buying the piano to rebuild is expensive in the first place. Hamburg cores sell for quite a lot of money.

SAP Renovations can do good work, they're a huge factory now and a lot of dealers like them

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,766
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission