2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
46 members (chopin_r_us, Alex McG, 1957, Bill McKaig,RPT, butchkoch, 11 invisible), 270 guests, and 490 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
I have been at the sonate pathetique 1st movement for a while (doing other things for a while) but trying to get it good. Problem for me is fatigue. Especially around the second to last part before the repetitions sound (bars 89 - 110)

How do you tackle this? Might I be doing something wrong - any tips and tricks avoiding the stiffness that comes with the fatigue?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Without a video, it is impossible to answer to a generic question like this. It can be due to a number of things. As a general answer, there isnt any magical solution. The fatigue can be due to tension, or some wrong mouvements/lack of technique. It can also be due to to the fact that you lack practice playing long pieces, ie lack of endurance. Assuming it isnt due to some technical issues, endurance is something that develops over time, just like it would be the case in other physical activities.

F
OP Offline
F
I have been working on it for hours on end. And its exhausting. I am very camera she so sorry for not producing any videos.
I have tried to ask my teacher but got no real good anwsers. But I guess I should probably take the "inexperience" to heart I guess.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
"...fatigue," "stiffness," "working at it for hours on end," "exhausting," are possible red flags indicating tension, as tension can cause all of these things. You don't say where the fatigue hits.

Without knowing - and seeing more - it's hard to diagnose the problem, as Sidokar wrote.

My suggestions, without any further details, is
- to concentrate on practicing relatively slowly,
- to be as relaxed as you can be in your hands, arms, shoulders, and
- to play softly until it all begins to "feel better."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Online Content
If the left hand tremolos are part of the problem, I think there is a thread about that on the FAQ section of this sub forum.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Without more information…I would recommend you just practice these few measures that are left. Part of fatigue is practicing the earlier measures as well as adding these last few measures. . Only play through the whole piece at the end of your session. Graham Fitch talks about quarantine measures/bars. I have incorporated this practice and I rarely play all the way through other at end of my practice or couple of times in the practice week.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Concerning the mentioned bars make sure that you help yourself with forearm rotation a little bit. Also it may be that you hold your hand too tensed in every position. If this is the case try playing it very slowly for a few days, relaxing your hand virtually after every note.

F
OP Offline
F
Thank you. I tried to do it really really slow speedimg up and finding what the problem is.
I sort of tens up my hand especially the pinky. It's the right hand that's having problem - and the little finger has to hit keys quite hard while the rest of the finger goes on a bit further away. This making my little finger tense being ready to hit the next key all the while the other fingers doing what they do.
Is there a better way? If I relax my little finger in between - is it something I should do? It will be harder to hit the right note if it's not there already waiting

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
This is where your teacher comes in! My experience, they will give suggestions pending in your hand span.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
This is where your teacher comes in! My experience, they will give suggestions pending in your hand span.
I will have to try again. Maybe i need to be more specific

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
[...]
I sort of tens up my hand especially the pinky. It's the right hand that's having problem - and the little finger has to hit keys quite hard while the rest of the finger goes on a bit further away. This making my little finger tense being ready to hit the next key all the while the other fingers doing what they do.
Is there a better way? If I relax my little finger in between - is it something I should do? It will be harder to hit the right note if it's not there already waiting

Are you referring to measures 89 through 98, 105 - 110, 257 - 262, 269 - 274?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
Thank you. I tried to do it really really slow speedimg up and finding what the problem is.

I understand the difficulty, for smaller hand the 5th finger can't just rest on the key and it requires tension/stretching in order to stay on it, but the thing is that it's impossible to play with that tension all the time, it may result in over-use type injury. There is simply no other way than to remove it from the key and relax in between notes where music allows it. But don't worry about it, with practice you'll do it even easier than a big hand could do it from fixed hand position, technically it's superior. And let the forearm rotation help your 5th finger a little bit.

M
M
Is the problem the section where your hands have jumps in opposing directions from each other? That makes it even more difficult since you can’t look in two places at once. Try playing the section in chords until your hands get to ‘know’ the notes, then switch to the broken chords/jumps. You should be more relaxed by then, thus helping with the tension.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,766
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission