2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
93 members (Amadeus M., anotherscott, ando, accordeur, 36251, Alfred La Fleur, 20 invisible), 1,026 guests, and 453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 212 of 233 1 2 210 211 212 213 214 232 233
M
mwf Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Well, congrats! Have you asked purchasing the floor model since you liked it?

No i want a brand new one, I presumed they are all regulated the same or similar... My bad if not, but no way I'm buying a floor demo model.

The N1X just feels more robust and reliable and solidly built than the NV10 and I was able to play advanced repertoire on the N1X anyway just as well as NV10. Prefer the Yamaha sampling, it's body style and overall it just looks and feels more sturdy.

I made the right choice.

D
David B Online Content OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mwf
I went to the piano shop again today for the 6th (?) time. Tried both nv10 and n1x side by side yet again...

I was so impressed with the yamaha on this occasion that I've committed to buying one tomorrow. So that's a wrap folks, I'm going to be the owner of a brand new N1X early July...so not a massive wait either luckily.

That's really interesting. Congrats!

I'm curious though, did the one you buy play better than the previous one you tried, or are you comfortable not being able to play the advanced pieces that require the faster action you're accustomed to?

God Bless,
David

Edit. Looks like you already answered my question. Why do you think the first one you tried wasn't up to the task?

Last edited by David B; 05/14/21 02:16 PM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Congrats, mwf! I think it's been mentioned here before, but it shows it always pays to go in and get a second, third, nth audition to make sure you've made the right choice!

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
M
mwf Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by mwf
I went to the piano shop again today for the 6th (?) time. Tried both nv10 and n1x side by side yet again...

I was so impressed with the yamaha on this occasion that I've committed to buying one tomorrow. So that's a wrap folks, I'm going to be the owner of a brand new N1X early July...so not a massive wait either luckily.

That's really interesting. Congrats!

I'm curious though, did the one you buy play better than the previous one you tried, or are you comfortable not being able to play the advanced pieces that require the faster action you're accustomed to?

God Bless,
David

Edit. Looks like you already answered my question. Why do you think the first one you tried wasn't up to the task?

I don't know David, it's the same piano every time, the exact same shop floor N1X, I change my mind alot and I am a different person from one day to the next, I see little point in dwelling on my previous encounters with the N1X now, I'm moving forward, hopefully you can also.

M
mwf Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
I wish to add I think I was wrong about the N1X action all along, it is extremely playable and I tried out repeating notes which worked out well today, was able to repeat the same white key extremely rapidly like i could on the NV10, maybe black keys not as good repetition wise, but I don't mind that.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mwf
I don't know David, it's the same piano every time, the exact same shop floor N1X, I change my mind alot and I am a different person from one day to the next, I see little point in dwelling on my previous encounters with the N1X now, I'm moving forward, hopefully you can also.

I apologize if my questions caused you any grief. I'm genuinely interested in your experience and I appreciate your willingness to share on this forum. I think it's exciting you found something you like and I'm really looking forward to some of new N1X uploads I hope you'll share on your YouTube channel.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf
[...]I was so impressed with the yamaha on this occasion that I've committed to buying one tomorrow. So that's a wrap folks, I'm going to be the owner of a brand new N1X early July...so not a massive wait either luckily.

I think you made a great choice. I have a new N1X delivered about a week ago now. It's a stunning instrument and I'm thrilled to have it. I can't say too much about the NV10 because I tried it over a year ago, I think. The reasons I focused on the N1X are (1) speakers, (2) audio interface and connectivity options, (3) speakers, (4) price. When I finally tried the N1X it checked off all my boxes. It's a big upgrade for me so it didn't take much for the action to satisfy.

Now that I've had a week with it I'm constantly impressed with this piano. I mostly use the CFX through speakers. When I use headphones I tend to use the Garritan CFX because that's my recording instrument. I use the same audio interface as before so I'm still getting crazy low latency. When I switch my ASIO driver to the Yamaha Steinberg it automatically routes the sound to the N1X speakers. It's a nice option however the latency on that driver is way higher as I am required to use 44.1 sample rate and 512 samples. I like the internal CFX so much that I see no reason to output Garritan through the speakers. So I use my presonus ASIO driver and keep local control ON.

If I wanted to record without headphones, I have recorded the Garritan CFX with local control ON so that the speakers output the internal CFX. I didn't expect this to work out but the actually recording I get is consistent with what I intended. So at the moment I have audio IN connected, usb-b to usb-a midi cable connected (yamaha steinberg asio), and I just connected my old m-audio midi in/out to usb as an alternative (maybe connect to another device?).

One workaround that I tried for the latency is to go from the monitoring out from the audio interface to the audio IN on the N1X. This has worked for me in the past with other speakers. In this case I'm getting some kind of feedback which makes it not work. (I tested playing music from my phone to the audio IN and it works fine). I imagine it's related to the sound card I'm monitoring from. I may look into what is causing that but for now it's not important. The latency on the usb cable for outputting VST to N1X speakers is perfectly fine for non-performance work. When performing/recording just piano sounds I like the internal CFX (for monitoring) while the Garritan CFX is the direct recorded sound.

Anyone have feedback on some of these connections? I also am looking at open-back headphones and may try the Sennheiser hd 559 which have a $98 price tag at the moment. I haven't found any mention of these but it's a nice price for me to try open-back phones.

I've been quite busy with work since the N1X arrived so haven't had much chance to play it or record anything to share. I have some stuff and will share soon.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't know if I congratulated you already, but anyhoo - congrats @Pathbreaker. Looking forward to your playing...

If I have to take a guess, probably half the # of N1X owners are using their instruments with VSTs. This makes me want to give it a try. I sold all my VSL instruments except the Bosendorfer Imperial and I also have Garritan CFX. Maybe I should try these out. I have generally been pleased with the onboard Bosendorfer sound so I use that all the time.

Happy days, folks!

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, mmathew. I mainly play with the internal Yamaha CFX through the speakers and it sounds glorious. Even better than I expected. But I don't know if I can successfully capture that sound in a recording. When listening through headphones (for recording) there may be a slight advantage in the Garritan CFX to the internal Yamaha CFX. It's not relevant for my playing purposes but I can do a lot more by using the VST, at least until I experiment more with the N1X. The quality of the sound of Garritan through the N1X speakers seems inferior to the internal CFX, at least with the little testing I've done out of the box. The internal sound seems sculpted and optimized at all volume levels in those speakers. It's quite amazing to my ears. The manual has all the technical mumbo jumbo to explain what's going on.

Garritan was already completely setup before I got the N1X. So I took the usb /midi cable and connect it to my laptop (instead of the previous midi cable I used), and then switch the midi connection in my cubase project. Then I can immediately play the Garritan without any additional changes. This was necessary so that the system was ready for my son's piano lesson in case I didn't have time to figure out the rest.

So it was trivial to continue using the Garritan with the N1X but for anyone that isn't using a VST, the VST is not at all necessary with the N1X. At least not to me. I would like to use VST for other instruments and other purposes as well so it's just a nice additional feature.

The computer connectivity is probably why I haven't yet bothered looking at the Smart Pianist app. I'm sure there are some good uses for that but I don't know if it's anything that fits in my daily use. Right now I just turn on the N1X and play. If I need to adjust anything it's just the volume. The interface is perfect for how I use it.

Last edited by Pathbreaker; 05/16/21 05:07 PM.
M
mwf Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
Thanks pathfinder, and it sounds like i am the same as you, i fully intend to use garritan cfx with the n1x, but only to record my videos as nothing beats the pro sounding garritan classic imho. Avantgrand samples sound bad recorded, but played through the speakers they are beautiful, just not for recording.

Ideally i just want to plug my n1x into my laptop via a usb cable.. Without the need for the extra faffing around using my UR22 and other audio cable route. But not if I'm stuck with 512 buffer size or something... I want 64 or 128, maybe 256 at most, but 512 is ridiculous. It would be so much easier to just have the 1 cable running from my n1x into my laptop and being able to set the latency/buffer size.. But that's not possible I presume? You're stuck with whatever the n1x interface decides as a buffer size... Can anyone clarify this for me? Sorry to ask AGAIN i know I've asked before but forgot.

Thanks.

M
mwf Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by mwf

I apologize if my questions caused you any grief. I'm genuinely interested in your experience and I appreciate your willingness to share on this forum. I think it's exciting you found something you like and I'm really looking forward to some of new N1X uploads I hope you'll share on your YouTube channel.

God Bless,
David

Thanks for that, I appreciate your messages David, and sorry i was just being silly as usual before, looking forward to sharing my experiences on the n1x with you and others. I think the n1x will look superb in my new videos yeah, maybe can get some beautiful angles.

Can you remove the fallboard or whatever its called to reveal more of the keys hidden away? Like you can on the NV10? It's a pretty cool look i think.

D
1000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mwf
Ideally i just want to plug my n1x into my laptop via a usb cable.. Without the need for the extra faffing around using my UR22 and other audio cable route. But not if I'm stuck with 512 buffer size or something... I want 64 or 128, maybe 256 at most, but 512 is ridiculous. It would be so much easier to just have the 1 cable running from my n1x into my laptop and being able to set the latency/buffer size.. But that's not possible I presume? You're stuck with whatever the n1x interface decides as a buffer size... Can anyone clarify this for me? Sorry to ask AGAIN i know I've asked before but forgot.

Thanks.

Maybe it's a Mac vs PC thing because I'm able to get no perceivable latency using the N1X interface and my Mac mini. I previously used an older MacBook Air with similar results regarding latency. Currently, I have the latency set at 64 with VSL and Garritan software, and it feels no different than when I use the onboard Yamaha samples. Again, maybe this a PC vs Mac thing, but my experience is that Mac + N1X = no perceivable latency.

Originally Posted by mwf
Can you remove the fallboard or whatever its called to reveal more of the keys hidden away? Like you can on the NV10? It's a pretty cool look i think.

You sure can. It actually comes out pretty easy. Simply lower (or raise) the fallboard about halfway and pull it out. It's a little more challenging to get it back in because you have to lineup the soft close tabs on the fallboard with the mounted brackets attached to the body of the N1X. It should only take a few seconds to remove or install.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by mwf
Ideally i just want to plug my n1x into my laptop via a usb cable.. Without the need for the extra faffing around using my UR22 and other audio cable route. But not if I'm stuck with 512 buffer size or something... I want 64 or 128, maybe 256 at most, but 512 is ridiculous.

Have you installed Yamaha's drivers? IIRC rom past posts, N1X uses Steinberg driver. Not sure if it is the same driver as AG-06's, but before I installed the driver for my AG-06, it worked fine with Windows native USB audio drivers, until I installed Pianoteq and found it had a huge latency and the buffer size was 512 samples. After installing the drivers, the driver's control panel allowed me chosing smaller buffers.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mwf

Thanks.

My mistake, I'm still figuring out what I'm doing. Since I didn't need to use that driver I hadn't got around to investigating.

So I followed some of the points made by David and EVC2017 and now I'm running at 64 samples using the Yamaha Steinberg ASIO Driver. I already had this installed before getting the N1X (with MG10XU) so I was using the correct driver just not using it...correctly.

The "control panel" for me was within cubase. Once I found that and opened it up I was able to change the mode from "Standard" to "Low Latency." I then changed the sample size to 64 instead of 512. Now it is performing nicely even when outputting through the speakers. The reverb is quite excessive coming through the speakers. Turning down the ambient mics in Garritan quickly fixed that. It's interesting how that works. Using my normal setup with headphones, I keep the close and ambient mics at the same level. But using speakers, and this sounds familiar from other posts, turning down the ambient mics makes a huge difference.

Lastly, I tried going for 32 samples but it really didn't like that. 64 runs very smooth so I won't complain.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I suppose some computers can handle 32, but I wonder how much of an improvement this will be over 64 in terms of reduced/perceived latency.

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
Feedback about the N1X embedded audio interface has been mixed. I’ve used only Mac computers and in all cases there’s the possibility to set buffer size as low as 32 but in the case of my MacBook 12” (a very slow netbook with Intel Core M at 1.1GHz and passive cooling) there was still some latency although not awful, it was playable but using the Mac’s own audio was better. However with my old 2013 Mac Mini as well as my brand new MacBook Air M1 the audio latency is super low. I’ve never used the Steinberg driver though.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
But will I really notice a difference at 32, and for that matter at 16, or is it simply for bragging rights that we aim for anything lower than 64?

7000 Post Club Member
Online Content
7000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure the absolute values have any meaning. I just listen for the latency. I start with a high value and lower it until it feels fast enough. Often that's 128. However when using the N1X embedded interface I have to go down to 64 or even 32 (depending on the actual computer) for it to be OK.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I agree. 128 can work fine depending on specifics, but 64 seems to be the sweet spot overall.

K
K
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Well, congrats! Have you asked purchasing the floor model since you liked it?

No i want a brand new one, I presumed they are all regulated the same or similar... My bad if not, but no way I'm buying a floor demo model.

So far I've only seen two N1x samples, but both with lateral loose and vertical somewhat stiff and doughy keys across the whole keyboard. And I think those cases weren't about regulation, but poor manufacturing tolerances (I'll try to make a video of the sample which I still have access to, to demonstrate the lateral play as soon as corona lock down is over). And I also remember similar complaints from others, even professionals ...

So I'm not the only one and I think these problems are not isolated cases. On the other hand, there seem to be flawless examples. So in any case, I would be careful and not play lottery and just buy the exact model I tested before. Better a flawless demo floor model than a brandnew model in its original packaging but with a possibly doughy action that can hardly be regulated.

Well then, good luck and keep your fingers crossed hopefully not to be disappointed...

Last edited by Kammerklang; 05/17/21 08:23 AM.
Page 212 of 233 1 2 210 211 212 213 214 232 233

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai CA93 vs Kawai CA67
by talamundele - 09/21/21 11:57 AM
Viscount Physis V100 and G1000
by David Izquierdo - 09/21/21 10:50 AM
Yamaha CLP 575 VS Kawai Ca48
by Amadeus M. - 09/21/21 09:16 AM
Charles Walter
by Judise - 09/21/21 09:12 AM
Pronunciation .... lol
by cygnusdei - 09/21/21 07:45 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,223
Posts3,134,023
Members102,788
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission