2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (BillS728, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, Dfrankjazz, danno858, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 2,066 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Hi, my name is Retsacnal, and I'm a piano-holic ...

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that there are now four Baldwins in my home.

Piano Acquisition Syndrome:

Over in this thread I joked recently about having 3, but that there was more coming to the story. The fact is that I had already committed to buy a 1972 Baldwin R, and it was delivered Friday afternoon!

In my own defense, just like with the Hamilton plan (replacing the consolette), there's sort of a method to my madness here too. My M is in good shape, and for sentimental reasons I'll never let it go, but I'd like to clean it up and re-polish the old finish, etc. So, I thought we could play this one, and then there'd be no pressure to rush on the other. And I assume I can re-sell the R when the M is done.

I tried to get the movers to take the consolette -- to keep the high-water count at three -- but they weren't interested.

The Piano:

I had seen it on Craigslist for a too-good-to-be-true price, but the ad didn't mention the model. It looked like an M in the pictures, but I was surprised to see that it was actually an R.

The ad didn't even say the usual "just needs tuning," but a rather candid "has a broken key" (and it did--G7--plus a of couple sticky ones). Anyway, it was close to campus, and something told me to go see it, and I'm glad I did. Although it needed a little work, I basically bought it on the spot.

To be honest, I would not have considered an R for an "upgrade," because I thought an R would basically be an M with only six more inches of length. An L, perhaps, because they're 13 inches longer. I really was a thinking of this as a low-risk "loaner" while I work on our family piano.

Delivery:

I asked the movers to put the M in the basement where I can work on it at my leisure, and the R into the M's usual location.

Right away I was reminded by the R's tone that my M needs voicing. blush The M has gotten a little bright.

Ironically, I was able to play them side-by-side for a few minutes. I had assumed they'd move the M downstairs first, and then the R in -- since I wanted it in the same spot -- but because a lot of their equipment was in use on other pianos in their truck, they brought the R in and set it up before breaking down the M to move downstairs. The six inches do make a difference in the bass. And the R's action is a smidge heavier.

I had the action out yesterday to inspect a little closer, and also vacuumed out the inside. There were a number of Sweet Tarts candies inside, plus a couple tootsie pop style sticks. After cleaning it out, it actually sounds a little better too, particularly in the treble, so perhaps the hammer strike line was affected by something jammed in there.

The "broken key" seems to be due the jack not resetting properly (if I reset it by hand it works fine the next strike), but I'm relatively new to action work.

Anyway, I had thought we'd use this one temporarily, but it's actually a pretty nice piano.

TLDR: The short-term plan is to get down to 2 pianos: 1 baby grand and 1 upright. I thought the R was cheap enough to fix and use while I refinish our M at my own tortoise and the hare pace, but the R is a surprisingly nice piano.

[Linked Image]
The 1972 Baldwin R sits in my 1950 Baldwin M's usual spot.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
"I can quit any time I want to ... " Yeah, right!

Well, it looks like you tried, anyway!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations on the R! Whether it’s a temporary acquisition or becomes a bit more permanent, it sounds like it’s a wonderful addition to your home!

I’m sure that you don’t have to worry quite yet about becoming a piano hoarder!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm glad I read this! I'm going to check out the M anyway. We'll see what happens. Maybe I'll own 2 pianos, too! LOL!

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
That's a beautiful looking piano!
Congratulations! , Is an R larger in size to an M? It sounds as though it has a great deal of potential.

Quiting anytime?, many of us are hung up on our "own brands"
or certain aspects of particular pianos.Our dreams, memories of their of the sounds of their vibrating strings,soundboards keep our hearts beating.It's called love.So please do not quit, what for..?

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Oooh, the case of the R is in great shape! Maybe you can pare down to two grands instead of keeping an upright smile

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I’m almost afraid that saying Congratulations might be enabling. 😁

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! So lovely!!

/enabling

whome

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear Randy:
That R is looking mighty fine.
K

C
c++ Offline
C
Interesting story! Sounds like a nice find.

Can I have the Sweet Tarts?

Congratulations on the Baldwin R, Ret!

Yes, you can quit anytime, but why? Well, I suppose there is only so much room for so many pianos in every home.

Hey, maybe we could start a "PAS (Piano Acquisition Syndrome) anonymous" program? smile

I've had my eye on this old upright on FB Marketplace, https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/490384222403849/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

but I keep asking myself, "can I quit anything I want to"? smile

Enjoy the Baldwin R!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A brown piano! Looking good!

But don't make excuses for buying another piano - just buy it! (Assuming you can afford it and the house is big enough and the family doesn't disown you!)

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
C
C
Love the colour!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, very nice piano!! I’m secretly hoping it becomes a permanent addition. 😁❤️😂

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
D
D
Congratulations! That is a beautiful piano! And don't quit PAS. It is not a disease!

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Rickster
[...]
I've had my eye on this old upright on FB Marketplace, https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/490384222403849/?ref=saved&referral_code=null

[..]

"... Keys were restrung and tuned within the last 20 years." Now there's an owner who knows pianos! And it's already outside, ready for curbside pick-up!

Go for it, Rick!

Cheers

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I said the same (I can quit...) when I started collecting synths. 50+ units later I was not so sure eek

So I went for a space-less addiction, the VAS (VST Acquisition Syndrome). And I am happy since, as all they take is my money and some SSD capacity thumb

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by j&j
I’m almost afraid that saying Congratulations might be enabling. 😁

Ahaaahhaahaaaa!

There are much worse "conditions" than Baldwin addiction!

J
J
May I ask what you paid? Just curious, I tuned the same age Baldwin R with french legs in great shape for someone needing to sell.

Last edited by joggerjazz; 05/17/21 08:50 AM.
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by Rickster
[...]

[..]

"... Keys were restrung and tuned within the last 20 years." Now there's an owner who knows pianos! And it's already outside, ready for curbside pick-up!

Go for it, Rick!

Cheers

Definitely thinking about it, Bruce. smile

Unlike most old upright pianos, for free or cheap, you can tell it has had new hammers, strings, tuning pins (over-sized most likely) and key-tops replaced in recent years. But I hope they didn't leave it on the back of that pick up truck. smile

It is about 50 miles away, and my enthusiasm for getting another old upright ebbs and flows. We will see.

I wish my son would come and get the Howard/Kawai 550 grand I gave my granddaughter about 7 years ago, and make some room in my piano shop. He says they still want it, but need to make room in their house.

Plus, Olé Bessie might get jealous if I get another old upright piano. But she knows she has a special place in my heart. smile

Sorry, Ret, didn't mean to horn in on your thread, but we are still talking about PAS... wink

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission