2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
64 members (BlakeOR, bluebilly, Bach_ingMaddie, anotherscott, Buzz209, agoode, A. Lucato, c++, 9 invisible), 1,073 guests, and 511 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3118003 05/15/21 07:07 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hi folks--I've been youtubing and Googling this for awhile, and found maybe 1 example, which I can't find again--

the question is, are there any pop or jazz pianists who frequently/often/sometimes play either a chorus or an entire piece with only the left hand? This is not counting anyone lacking a right hand.

And I refer to improvising, not a previously practiced setpiece.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
rogerzell Every jazz pianist can improvise, every improvising pianist can do it with every hand; and only he can establish for himself the proportions between the hands.
It should be noted that left hand improvisation will always differ from improvisation with the right.

- from 4:01

Last edited by Nahum; 05/16/21 12:57 AM.
R
OP Offline
R
Nahum, thanks for this.

Now, examples of all improvising pianists please--because this is the 2nd I've seen, and to be fair, alot of the time he's playing basslines--not all the time.

While I have not paid attention to most jazz pianists, none of the ones I have heard do left hand solos at all (always except that one, who played an entire song lh only, and whose name I can't remember).

Bud Powell? Nat COle? George Shearing? Dave Brubeck? Tatum? Waller? as I said, I'm not widely listened, but never heard any lh solos from these guys.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Rogerzell

Not common, I think would summarise the answer to your question. I have 600 -700 Jazz albums of which the majority are by Jazz Pianists and I can't recall 1 LH solo, which doesn't mean they aren't there, as my memory is shocking these days. Quite a few certainly do unison right and left hands together. Oscar Peterson perhaps being the first to do that.

However I do recall a story about Bud Powell (which now I can't find on-line) where at a gig he was criticised for being a one-handed Piano player. If you're not familiar with his style he played very sparsely in his LH. Mostly shell voicings like root and 7th. Anyway from what I recall, on the next number he proceeded to play LH only and was quite brilliant.

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)
Pearl Midtown Drums

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Elephant Walk -Improv for LH only

J
J

rogerzell
[And I refer to improvising, not a previously practiced set piece.] [ are there any pop or jazz pianists who frequently/often/sometimes play either a chorus or an entire piece with only the left hand

https://ethaniverson.com/two-fisted-piano/

Hazel Scott Scott’s last record from 1980 (she died a year later) has some affinities with the Larkins just above, a mainstream trio disc with Duvivier and a swinging drummer, in this case Oliver Jackson. It’s an expansive mood record of medium tempos and grooves, with a two-fisted bluesy profile next door to someone like Gene Harris, although Scott has a rhythm guitar left hand.

They called Avery Parrish’s “After Hours” the “Black National Anthem” at one point, everyone had to play in it the ’40s and ’50s. In the opening stanza Scott is all the way down in the bottom register, a great effect. Two unaccompanied choruses setting up “St. Louis Blues” is an album highlight, and makes one wish for a larger Scott discography.

R
OP Offline
R
Hi folks, thanx for these--

Nahum--while Parlan was great, he essentially had no right hand, so this doesn't fit in my question.

Dfrank--nifty, and just what I'm looking for.

joggerjazz--I forgot this one! wow!!

dpvjazz--neither of your recordings have a left hand solo--?? Hazel Scott is an amazing technician. I've only heard her on film, where's she's all Hollywood showbizzy, I have no idea if she ever really got down to serious improv.

Simon b--thanks for the memory(lol). You do the work and I get the benefit, just how life should be(lol2). I've got some work around my house for you(lol3).

I suppose my original question was kind of pointless, but fun. My right arm was out of service for awhile, so I started playing lefty only, and it really helped my 2 hand playing.

J
jjo Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Fred Hersch and Brad Mehldau play a lot of melodies in the left hand, and sometimes create counterpoint between the two hands. It's a modern technique (melody in the left hand) that has come into jazz in the last couple of decades. Not sure if this is what you were looking for?

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Here's one that might fit the bill, I tried sending a PM but it wouldn't go through..

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
i broke my right shoulder 6 weeks ago and have been playing left only.
i have devised a list of 20 left hand styles I know and I practice them on all the standards, I like to change the lh style every 4 bars as a challenge. i also memorized all of Jarretts LH ballad tricks.
I've also been doing my barry harris' scale and phrase warm ups. also 4 way close blocks in lh. also oscars famous break in bags groove

the other thing I do is lh ballads.
Tenderly has a melody that works well. i play the the first melody phrase with pedal, and then quickly roll its hip chord arpeggio from the bass up into a 6 note jazz scale up to the highest note on the piano. i try to think tatum is in my lh. my left hand has become great at arpeggiating any chord all the way up to the 88th key, I'm amazed I can do it. 321 321 for 6 note scale fingering was the key for me!

Last edited by RinTin; 05/16/21 11:49 PM.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present)
R
OP Offline
R
RinTin--go for it!

I don't know if you addressed this to me, but I may assume so since I started this thread--

I don't know anything about what you say above, from Jarrett lh tricks to hip chord arpeggio--terms unknown to me.

One of my favorites is I'm Confessin that I love you, lots of space to add counterpoint. Surrey with Fringe is very useful, Pennies from heaven also.

My model is Godowsky--if you're not familiar, youtube the Godowsky/Chopin paraphrases for left hand. However, I can't come close to them, as he was one of the most renowned pianists of his time.

Once you've got your rh back, you'll see how usefully your time was spent.

btw, are you related to the famous movie star?

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by RinTin
i broke my right shoulder 6 weeks ago and have been playing left only.
I deeply sympathize with you - for a pianist this is doubly awful!
It's great that you're looking for a variety of one-handed textures; and I assure you that there is more than you have found so far. This is a matter of pure fantasy: each finger is an instrument in itself.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Dear roger and Nahum, thank you for that! I had a pretty bad accident where I was hurled 10 feet through the air and landed square on my shoulder. The humerus was triple fractured. The only plus side is I can now freely play ballad arpeggios up and down the 88s almost effortlessly. Very pleased with that.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present)
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
[Linked Image]

In limiting conditions, fantasy sometimes throws itself into fingering inventions.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Indeed!

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
I read a Monk biography not too long ago. Apparently he complained that a lot of the pianists he knew had "weak left hands." When Monk solos, you'll often see him mix things up - it's almost like he's playing a mallet percussion instrument, and swapping hands as needed. I suspect some of this was from his background in stride piano, where the left hand is super important.

Decent upright bassist; aspiring decent pianist
Present: Roland DP-603, Roland RD-2000, Yamaha MX61, Casio CDP-130
Past: Roland FP-30, Casio PX-160, Casio PX-830
Etc.: PianoTeq Stage 7 (Bechstein, Bluethner, U4), Roland KC-80
R
OP Offline
R
RinTin--c'mon, dish! Did your family connect with Rin Tin Tin?

I worked with a fella who was distantly related to Roy Rogers, another related to heiress Barbara Hutton--look her up.

and then there's Lassie, Asta and Toto too.

Nahum--did you write this for this thread? or have you been playing it for years?

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by rogerzell
Nahum--did you write this for this thread? ?
Sure , however, over long time I have tried different combinations - influenced by Dave McKenna.

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Distance of Grand Piano from wall
by Damien PG - 06/19/21 11:20 AM
Insomniac pianists
by Emery Wang - 06/19/21 10:56 AM
First digital piano - F-701 vs P515
by Sebeto - 06/19/21 09:52 AM
Why do great concert halls buy new?
by Ppianissimo - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Kawai MP11SE successor thoughts
by Quatschmacher - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,603
Posts3,105,153
Members101,857
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission