2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
63 members (ChristofS, clothearednincompo, 1957, Bill McKaig,RPT, butchkoch, anotherscott, brennbaer, 11 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 496 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
If possible get the CFX.

I don’t think you will settle down until you have a concert grand.

You will always long for that full growling bass of a concert grand.

There are members here who have concert grands in their home. Some even in small rooms.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
^

If there is anyway possible -- $$$$$$ or space -- you'll never regret it. That is a Great piano in every way !

Mine is in a 20' X 20' space. Not overly large but not small either. I know one Pro pianist in town who has a smaller space then mine for his D. I took a few lessons from a former Professor at USC that had his D in a condo with low ceilings in his living room.

Otherwise Ando made an excellent last post I highly agree with.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP4

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Also keep in mind that, once delivered your S7X will depreciate 25 % at once.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
25% isn't that bad. I thought it would be more than that. Honestly, I already deliberated on which piano to buy for a long time. At some point, I just have to buy something. No piano is perfect, and even the bass on the other S7X will pale in comparison to a Steinway D, right? The S7X I played is, in many ways, a very beautiful piano.

A
A
Originally Posted by Sonepica
25% isn't that bad. I thought it would be more than that. Honestly, I already deliberated on which piano to buy for a long time. At some point, I just have to buy something. No piano is perfect, and even the bass on the other S7X will pale in comparison to a Steinway D, right? The S7X I played is, in many ways, a very beautiful piano.

And there you have come to the crux of the exercise. Unless you have unlimited budget and unlimited time to shop, then every piano is a compromise. The question is whether the level of compromise leaves you feeling happy. If it's not then I would suggest this isn't the piano for you. If it is then any further discussion here is pointless. I think it comes down to how you feel now smile.

Last edited by Aritempor; 05/16/21 05:33 AM.
K
kre Offline
K
Sonepica, just wait until you get the piano home to familiar acoustics, then let it break-in for few months. Then get a tech to visit and tone the hammers to your liking. Only at this time you have an initial understanding of the instrument, and an opinion what to improve, if any. I'm 100% sure you will be happy with it.

I've played 2 new Yamahas from out of the box to 10 years of age, and out of the box they are not the same instrument they will be, trust me.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by kre
Sonepica, just wait until you get the piano home to familiar acoustics, then let it break-in for few months. Then get a tech to visit and tone the hammers to your liking. Only at this time you have an initial understanding of the instrument, and an opinion what to improve, if any. I'm 100% sure you will be happy with it.

I've played 2 new Yamahas from out of the box to 10 years of age, and out of the box they are not the same instrument they will be, trust me.

Do you remember whether the bass got more powerful as the hammers hardened from use? It kinda makes sense that harder hammers would more easily create a greater displacement of the strings.

Last edited by Sonepica; 05/16/21 05:48 AM.
K
kre Offline
K
Originally Posted by Sonepica
Do you remember whether the bass got more powerful as the hammers hardened from use? It kinda makes sense that harder hammers would more easily create a greater displacement of the strings.

Power (decibels) of bass is adjustable by moving piano closer to an acoustic boundary that reflects bass frequencies (usually a stone wall is good candidate). Hardening of hammers probably affect more of the quality of bass notes than the decibel output. To be honest, I have never missed bass power, but obviously I have noted that C3 low bass notes have more upper harmonics than the base frequency sounding. I had my hammers toned softer at the treble (my C3 had more of the traditional Yamaha sound that CX/SX series do not have any more), and this was mainly because the lid opens to a wall with windows, which reflect high frequencies right back at you.

Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Just a few thoughts for Sonepica and others. A fine technician can do beautiful things to customize the tone of a piano to be exactly what you desire.

This is a common scenario - a family purchases a really fine piano without knowing much about them (either from us or from someone else). They start to play and develop preference of touch and tone that don't exactly align with the particular piano they chose. I send one of our concert technicians out to the family's home. They spend a few hours, or sometimes they make small changes in the voice each time they tune (this is bet if the family is not SURE what they desire). Within a few visits the family is now thrilled with the piano.

The moral is that the S7x is responsive to expert high level voicing. As long as there is a fine and experienced technician in your area, you will be thrilled with this piano. It might take more than one visit to get exactly where you want to be, but it will happen.

Congrats on a really fine piano!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Do you mean your technician can make the very low bass of an S7X sound like the very low bass of a CFX?

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Hakki
Do you mean your technician can make the very low bass of an S7X sound like the very low bass of a CFX?

I mean that my technician can bring out the very best of the tone of a given instrument. Every high end piano will benefit from high end technical work, Hakki.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Off-track a bit: is there any thought in Yamaha to bring out an upright with the SX tonal signature?

H
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

I mean that my technician can bring out the very best of the tone of a given instrument. Every high end piano will benefit from high end technical work, Hakki.

I will take this as a “no”, Rich Galassini.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

I will take this as a “no”, Rich Galassini.

Of course it is a no!

A great technician can bring out the best a particular piano can offer. We cannot change the basic laws of physics Hakki.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Sonepica- you’ve bought a well regarded, expensive piano that many on this Forum would give their eye teeth for, including me. Your S7X is just recently uncrated. The bass with some time to settle in, with a bit of voicing from your tech, and some playing in, will be delightful.

Pianos aren’t static objects. They change over time. When you’re buying a brand new piano, you are buying how the piano sounds now and also the piano’s potential to become the instrument to express the beauty of the music you play.

Concert grands are tweaked by expert techs for each performance to deliver the exact sound demanded by the performing pianists. Your S7X can be adjusted to your exact specifications.

Congratulations on your new piano. Don’t fret. You bought a great piano. Best Wishes.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Pianos- the reason God made trees
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Of the 3 grand pianos I’ve owned as an adult (190cm, 214cm, 230cm), the bass tone did not significantly change over the first few years of ownership. The initial hammer attack sound became sharper in a way that I found unpleasant, and I would have voiced away, perhaps once every year or two.

The biggest changes in tone I’ve experienced on a piano where the hammers weren’t being chemically juiced, has been from either needling the hammers to death by an inexperienced voicer, or by reshaping hammers that had some wear.

My upright piano is for sale!
Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
P
P
I had the pleasure of trying many beautiful pianos yesterday. An S6X, S7X, Bosendorfer 200 and 225, some Estonia and Schimmels The Bosendorfer 225 was tempting but too far out of my budget and while the 200 was a wonderful instrument with a velvet like texture to its sound I enjoyed how crisp yet complex the S7X was (and it helped that it wasn't going to max out my budget).

It was well placed in the room a few feet from a wall and open to the rest of the room and it was not fresh out of the box. It’s been on the floor for several months so it’s been played in a bit. It was well maintained by the staff technicians and sounded amazing. Even my non-musical husband fell in love with the sound of it.

I would agree that placement, playing in a bit, and voicing/regulation/maintenance play a big part in maximizing sound quality.

I hope you enjoy your new piano as much as I plan to.

W
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
W
Sounds like some investigation and regulation required to max dynamic range in the bass. Does the dealer have this in hand pre/post delivery?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Kryptic
I had the pleasure of trying many beautiful pianos yesterday. An S6X, S7X, Bosendorfer 200 and 225, some Estonia and Schimmels The Bosendorfer 225 was tempting but too far out of my budget and while the 200 was a wonderful instrument with a velvet like texture to its sound I enjoyed how crisp yet complex the S7X was (and it helped that it wasn't going to max out my budget).

It was well placed in the room a few feet from a wall and open to the rest of the room and it was not fresh out of the box. It’s been on the floor for several months so it’s been played in a bit. It was well maintained by the staff technicians and sounded amazing. Even my non-musical husband fell in love with the sound of it.

I would agree that placement, playing in a bit, and voicing/regulation/maintenance play a big part in maximizing sound quality.

I hope you enjoy your new piano as much as I plan to.
Did you bite?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Such an interesting thread.

Let's talk Rach 2 opening - yes, it takes some oomph to get those low C's to sound. If you're playing a 9' piano voiced to have some roar in the bass, it's easier, but, it's still one of the technical challenges of the piece.

Regarding the pianos mentioned by the OP, if I read the specs correctly they are 7'6". They will NOT sound like a 9' piano no matter who voices them. (My opinion). As to picking among alternatives, none of which are exactly to our taste, join the club of those of us below superstar status. At least there was a choice.

IMO, some concerti that I have played, Rach 2, Brahms 2 just sound better on a concert grand. I believe they were composed with a piano of that size in mind. Others, not so much, e.g., Beethoven 3, 4, and even 5, Mozart. I think those could be played on a "B", or a C7, if one wanted to stick with modern (post 1890) pianos.

Andrew Kraus, Pianist
Educated Amateur Tuner/Technician
I Make Music that Lifts People Up & Brings Them Together
Rockville, MD USA
www.AndrewKraus.com
www.YouTube.com/RockvillePianoGuy
Twitter at @IAmAPianist

1929 Steinert 6'10" (Close copy of New York S&S "B")
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha SH1 loosing loudness?
by ChristofS - 08/01/21 07:31 AM
Advice For Digital Piano for Keyboard Player
by BennyY - 08/01/21 07:11 AM
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,312
Posts3,118,026
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission