2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (BeowulfX, brdwyguy, Christopher90, anotherscott, 716GoBills, Carey, 36251, AdamJ, 13 invisible), 891 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
jjo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Clare Fischer was an amazingly creative composer, arranger and jazz pianist. He is perhaps best know for the two jazz standards he wrote, Pensativa and Morning.

Here is his wildly creative medley of two Disney tunes, well worth a listen, with a wonderful transcription provided to follow along:

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Wonderful! Sometimes surprisingly reminiscent of George Shearing.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Simply great, I liked When you wish upon a star better. Lots of ideas to steal - If I wasn't lethargic

I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
There is a 5 part musical lecture by Fischer on YT from 1998 he did at College of the Canyons.

I bought an album (CD) called "Alone Together" about a year ago. Mostly unknown apparently, but one of the greats.

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this. Soooooo much good stuff going on in there: melody harmonization, inner voice movement and a great ending.

Bill
bill@jazzpianoonline.com
www.JazzPianoOnline.com
Online Jazz Piano Lessons
Yamaha C7 Disklavier DC7ENSPRO
R
R
Hi folks--if you have read my posts, you'll know that this stuff is not what I'm listening to. But, after years of hearing it, I just stumbled across a couple questions I have.

purely intellectually--

1: If one is going to change the harmonies so much, why not the melody? Why not stretch or shrink all the melody intervals by a half step or more? Or displace them by 2, 3 or 4 octaves per note? I have an idea why, but I'd like to hear from others.

2: On this one I have no ideas---does anyone play such old, FAST 2/4 stuff as "Waiting for the Robert E Lee" or "Swanee" in this style? If so, can you post some? If not, any ideas on why?

C
C
Clare Fischer is impressive. Finn Grassie is a talent.
Thanks for posting!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It's great to see all the notes written out. The Intro confused me at first, those first 20 measures of pedal point harmony, written as slash chords over G# with a 3 sharp key signature, really should be written over Ab pedal point (V7 of Db) with a key signature for Db because Claire's Intro is clearly an elaborate and mysterious episode all to set up for the tonic Db major after 20 bars. The chord symbols are wrong for the first 20 measures.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Those first 20 bars of Intro is basically Claire playing alterations of Ab7 (to set up the key of Db).
He plays around with:

Ab Phrygian
Ab7 sus b9
Ab ALT
Ab7 sus
Ab7 ALT

And so forth...

If one looked at the given chord symbols it would be easy to miss the reality of the strategy of the Intro. Music is usually understandable, especially with Claire. Too bad the transcriber messed up the symbols for the Intro.

Jazz piano Instructor. Technical Editor for Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book". Studied with Mark Levine, Art Lande & Mark Isham (1981-1990). Also: Barry Harris & Monty Alexander (1993-present)
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by rogerzell
1: If one is going to change the harmonies so much, why not the melody? Why not stretch or shrink all the melody intervals by a half step or more? Or displace them by 2, 3 or 4 octaves per note? I have an idea why, but I'd like to hear from others.

My version of Satin Doll:

[Linked Image]

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Nahum
My version of Satin Doll:
Correction - bar 16 :

|Abmaj7(#11) G7 |

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
haha great

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Dfrankjazz
haha great
Yes, but try to improvise at these changes the long line at a fast tempo ...

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
ok

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi folks--

purely intellectually--

2: On this one I have no ideas---does anyone play such old, FAST 2/4 stuff as "Waiting for the Robert E Lee" or "Swanee" in this style? If so, can you post some? If not, any ideas on why?
Hi folks--if you have read my posts, you'll know that this stuff is not what I'm listening to. But, after years of hearing it, I just stumbled across a couple questions I have.

purely intellectually--

He could have changed the melody, it’s up to him, but he chose not to. Why? He probably had it mind to work about the melody theme because it’s a great melody, and it organizes his arrangement around a theme that he respects. Thus he puts his touch on a classic theme. He goes overboard for my taste. As I listened I thought of that old saying “he knows more about harmony than he knows what to do with...” In abstract figurative painting they maintain a human figure in the work and paint abstractly all about it.

R
R
After all this time I did not expect any replies.

Nahum--is your sample how you usually play it? or was it made up for this thread?

I am not about to download a new program for notation. But your example really does not change the melody in any significant way, except to fit the harmony.

I also should have suggested some radical rhythm changes, within each 4/4 measure.

Rintin--while I agree with your assessment in general, it begs the question. So the melody is great, but so are the original chords, so why would he respect one more than the other?

"Overboard"? well, "jazzers play 10,000 chords for 4 people, rockers play 4 chords for 10,000 people", or so "THEY" say.

Meanwhile, any thoughts as to my second question, namely, is anyone playing raucous old 2/4 vaudeville songs in postbop harmony? If postbop is not proper terminology, please forgive me.

N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Nahum--is your sample how you usually play it? or was it made up for this thread?

I made this version for myself before a concert with my trio in the 80s.

J
jjo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Rintin: Thanks for de-coding the harmony of the Intro. You are clearly right. With transcriptions on the Internet you frequently find either that: (1) some of the chords are notated incorrectly, or (3) people just stick in the Real Book chords without reflecting the alterations the performer is clearly using. While I've only done a handful of transcriptions, fortunately i've got a teacher who makes sure we do the correct harmonic analysis of what's going on and reflect that in the transcription.

Rogerzell: I'm not sure how one can answer the question of why a jazz musician modifies one aspect of a piece in making an arrangement but not another. That's just what came to him. It's no different than asking why a composer chose one chord progression over another; that's what came to him.

If I were to venture a guess, however, when jazz players create an arrangement, we're not trying to compose an original piece, but rather put some of our own touches on an existing composition. If you change the melody too much, however, you are more likely to lose the feel of the original piece than if you change the harmonies. Fischer's arrangement takes great liberties with the harmony, but you can still clearly know just what tune it is. That might not be so if similar liberties were taken with the melody.

R
R
Nahum--thank you.

jjo--and thank you for your thoughts on this.

But I have to disagree. For me, taking great liberties with the harmony can certainly make me feel like the original feel is lost. The sheet music reveals the original feel, and it does not include anything like the harmonies in these vids. So there's that. So I'm a literalist.

In my improvising (and I do not consider myself a jazz player), I often have to stop myself from playing melody simulacra--same rhythm and similar intervals as the original melody, but not the original melody. It feels very easy and natural, but too obvious. And yet it may be a good tool? In any case, it can be a starting point for what I describe above, but with more radical rhythms and intervals. I believe that most listeners could pick up on it, on the theory that if I can, anyone can. heh.

After all, this technique is a basic tool of classical music development sections. Those guys counted on people recognizing the changed bits as versions of the original. And they would turn them upside down and backwards, literally.

But in cases such as the above, I can see no reason not to alter the melody right off the bat. I don't see that anything more would be lost.

And once again, my question of modern jazz versions of upbeat 2/4 standards still stands. If you can play endless weird variations of I Got Rhythm, why not Swanee?

J
jjo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
rogerszell: You like the original harmony, which is fine. I would note, however, that we never really know what the original harmony is. While Clare Fischer has surely gone way beyond what the composers had in mind, the question is, what is your source for the original harmony. The RealBooks are based on jazz versions that reflect what jazz players tend to do with a song. If you're referring to published sheet music, who knows whether that's what the composer had in mind.

I think what you are more likely referring to is that you like the simpler, more direct, less complex harmonies that sheet music reflects as opposed to some of the complex arrangements that you hear people play. Nothing wrong with that! However, many people who study jazz slowly but surely get hooked on playing with a tune's harmonies. It's just a wonderfully creative process. First you take a 7th chord and add a 9th or 13th; them maybe you add a flat 9th, and pretty soon you're hooked!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Don't buy a Focusrite.
by Christopher90 - 06/25/21 07:35 AM
Smaller Room - Grand Lid Down?
by brdwyguy - 06/25/21 06:46 AM
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,694
Posts3,107,113
Members101,902
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission