2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (chopin_r_us, Alex McG, 1957, Christopher90, Bill McKaig,RPT, 12 invisible), 278 guests, and 500 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
OP Offline
K
I've got a Casio CGP-700. I'm a relative beginner. It is the only digital piano I've owned. I've been playing for a few years. I like it. I've gotten used to the action of the weighted keyboard and I like it. Once in a while I go into a music store and sit at more expensive weighted keyboards for a minute and come away thinking that I like the Casio that I have. I even like the Casio sounds in the keyboard. I play mostly the default grand piano sound and it sounds nice.

But I'm also thinking it might make a nice upgrade to play some extra sounds and I've heard some good stuff about Keyscape. From some of the promotional videos I've seen for Keyscape the grand piano sounds noticeably more alive than the Casio one, although as stated the Casio sound is not bad. I've been fine with it. I've got a computer next to the piano but I don't use the midi output or input on the keyboard. But I've been thinking it would be fun to add that.

Keyscape says that it uses 32 level samples. Does a cheap ($800) weighted keyboard (my Casio CGP-700) put out the same midi data as a more expensive ($2000) weighted keyboard? In other words if I like the action of the Casio would I be missing something if I used it rather than getting a more expensive keyboard and getting used to a higher end piano's action?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
You will find the answer in a piano shop.

I can tell you I dislike the Tri Sensor II action of Casio (not sure what the CGP700 has), and prefer a lot a Yamaha wooden keyboard... but it is my preference, not necessarily yours.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I don't like keyscape, it's not very playable at all imo. It's base sound is pretty good though, but all those demos on YouTube of the pro's playing their little fancy improvisations are misleading as it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as that...

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by krauster
In other words if I like the action of the Casio would I be missing something if I used it rather than getting a more expensive keyboard and getting used to a higher end piano's action?
I think the only significant differences would be subjective. I'm pretty sure Keyscape doesn't support half-pedaling, so even if you don't have the optional SP-33 pedal for your Casio, you're not even missing out there.

H
hes Offline
H
Originally Posted by krauster
Does a cheap ($800) weighted keyboard (my Casio CGP-700) put out the same midi data as a more expensive ($2000) weighted keyboard? In other words if I like the action of the Casio would I be missing something if I used it rather than getting a more expensive keyboard and getting used to a higher end piano's action?
There is likely no improvement in the midi data in a more expensive keyboard. So, yes, if you like the action of your Casio you should not bother to upgrade.

In general, differences between keyboards in midi data will be in the particular velocities (0 - 127) that get assigned depending on how hard you hit a key. If you don't like the midi data your keyboard is sending, the solution is not to buy a more expensive keyboard; the solution would be to choose a different "velocity curve" for the keyboard you have. On some keyboards this is called adjusting the "sensitivity" from e.g., "heavy touch", to "light touch". Keyboards generally have a few different possible settings. However, when you get an external computer into the mix (as you are if you're running Keyscape or some other VST), then there are utilities you can use that give you nearly complete control over the velocity curve, can customize it as much as you want; the velocities will then be adjusted on the computer rather than in the keyboard.

Last edited by hes; 05/14/21 06:24 PM.
K
OP Offline
K
Originally Posted by hes
In general, differences between keyboards in midi data will be in the particular velocities (0 - 127) that get assigned depending on how hard you hit a key. If you don't like the midi data your keyboard is sending, the solution is not to buy a more expensive keyboard; the solution would be to choose a different "velocity curve" for the keyboard you have. On some keyboards this is called adjusting the "sensitivity" from e.g., "heavy touch", to "light touch". Keyboards generally have a few different possible settings.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I now understand the issue better.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,766
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission