2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (anotherscott, brennbaer, 3B43, Craig Hair, claburo, clothearednincompo, 13 invisible), 305 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
D.P. Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just figured I'd post about it as large pianos like that don't turn up very often in my area

Someone looks to be trying to sell a older Knabe Grand piano in the 7'+ size. Very tempting to me for project piano, but I already have a project piano to chew through ATM. Large Victorian case that looks not too bad for its age. In much better shape than my current project piano(and 4 years younger). Not sure if it's ok to post a current listing, so here's a video of a similar looking piano that's about the same size but slightly older. Just search the metro Detroit CL to find it if you want to view it. Owner has dropped the price on it greatly so far.

The tone of the piano in the video sounds somewhat like a improved fortepiano to me. Very similar to my project piano. Might not lend itself well to the modern music I play but sounds nice for period music. My ears are so used to the modern piano sound that some of these late 19th/early 20th century pianos sound like a completely different animal to me.

Last edited by D.P.; 05/14/21 01:49 PM.
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
It sounds like an old tired piano. Knabes were known for their "singing voice", which to me means an emphasis on the mid and treble spectrum at the expense of the fundamental. This means also that you need a lot of sustain, which I don't hear on this one. There is also a common trait of the older pianos; bridges that are splitting and loose bridge pins. Could be a really fine instrument if it is properly set up.

Some people like Martin guitars, some like Gibsons. Both are high quality, both offer different responses. Neither is better than the other, though Martin seems to have a more consistent history. I have compared pre-war D-28s to early model J-200s and they are completely different animals. Both are responsive, both are expensive, both are used by a lot of professionals, just for different reasons, (I don't remember ever seeing a J-200 on stage with a Gibson Mastertone banjo and F-5 mandolin...)

Regards,

D
D.P. Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just as an update, I caved to temptation and went out to see the piano. It sounds much much less twangy than the one in the video I posted. Maybe it's a microphone difference. Very nice tone although somewhat weak in the very upper treble. Suspect bridge issues there. The action wasn't in all the way so pushing it in a bit further helped a bit. Excellent bass! Felt very resonate to me. Very tempting but made a pass in the end as it wasn't close enough to what I was looking for. Also was much too pretty for me to hack on as a project piano.

Was a good day today.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,678
Posts3,106,801
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission