2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,212 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
Is this an annual thing? I was under the impression Steinway never had sales. Is this a real deal, or just BAU?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
Gombessa,

I am not sure how you missed it, but Steinway has been discounting quietly for many years now. This is just one of their scheduled "sales". It is followed up by sales at all of their dealers over the next weeks after. It is BAU.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I am not sure how you missed it

I am not a clever man.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I’m not that clever either. 😕 I had to look up what BAU meant. 😁

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Gombessa
I am not a clever man.

Oh yes you are! I have seen your posts in the digital piano forum, Gombessa. This is just something you don't follow.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
What type of percentage are off on the New Steinway's, Boston's & Essex's?

Do they discount restored/rebuilt/pre-owned Steinway's?
or is it all up to the dealer preference?

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Ah, the first question you should ask of a salesperson is: Do you have pricing power?

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by brdwyguy
What type of percentage are off on the New Steinway's, Boston's & Essex's?

Do they discount restored/rebuilt/pre-owned Steinway's?
or is it all up to the dealer preference?

As far as I know, they discount everything - Steinway, Boston, Essex, new, used, and restored.

Last edited by VladK; 05/14/21 10:36 AM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner

Gold Supporter until June  2023

Gold Supporter until June  2023
There was a recent Steinway "sale" event near me. I contacted them in advance to ask what piano models would be on sale and what the prices would be. They sent me a list and I was very disappointed. The discounts were ridiculously small, almost offensive in my opinion. I'm glad I asked in advance and didn't waste a trip.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
G
G
Originally Posted by Talão
There was a recent Steinway "sale" event near me. I contacted them in advance to ask what piano models would be on sale and what the prices would be. They sent me a list and I was very disappointed. The discounts were ridiculously small, almost offensive in my opinion. I'm glad I asked in advance and didn't waste a trip.

My general observation is that Steinways, new or used, are very expensive, especially at Steinway Halls. Do they tend to include the used Steinways in their yearly price mark-up? I want to say they do, but maybe my memory fails me. I digress.

The local Steinway dealer contacted me to let me know about the sales event, and that also he had a special Steinway B for sale, teflon era, for just over $30k. Maybe they aren't special to a lot of folks, but I know that around here I could get a C7 or similar and have $10k left over to replace hammers or other action parts if necessary. I can't imagine their special sales event would be anything too exciting. Perhaps I am too young of a pianist to understand the excitement around all Steinways. I assume they are like any other piano, and it takes test driving hundreds of them to find the one or two that speak to you. It'd be nice if budget wasn't an issue and I could choose without regard to cost.

G
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
G
Thank you Rich and everybody! Clearly I'm not deeply involved in the high end acoustic world, but I noticed all the splashy marketing and it piqued my curiosity.

Maybe one day (in the distant future) I'll plan an appointment to coincide with the sale smile

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Ghostnotes

My general observation is that Steinways, new or used, are very expensive, especially at Steinway Halls. Do they tend to include the used Steinways in their yearly price mark-up? I want to say they do, but maybe my memory fails me. I digress.

The local Steinway dealer contacted me to let me know about the sales event, and that also he had a special Steinway B for sale, teflon era, for just over $30k. Maybe they aren't special to a lot of folks, but I know that around here I could get a C7 or similar and have $10k left over to replace hammers or other action parts if necessary. I can't imagine their special sales event would be anything too exciting. Perhaps I am too young of a pianist to understand the excitement around all Steinways. I assume they are like any other piano, and it takes test driving hundreds of them to find the one or two that speak to you. It'd be nice if budget wasn't an issue and I could choose without regard to cost.

IMHO
Steinways are like any other brand—you love them or you prefer something else. My advice is to never assume the brand you will or will not buy. Life surprises you if you keep an open mind. ... and if you choose a piano based on the tone snd touch, not the brand, you will smile when you play it

G
G
Originally Posted by dogperson

IMHO
Steinways are like any other brand—you love them or you prefer something else. My advice is to never assume the brand you will or will not buy. Life surprises you if you keep an open mind. ... and if you choose a piano based on the tone snd touch, not the brand, you will smile when you play it

Hi dogperson,

From a fellow dog-person, I humbly agree. I suppose my initial observations were obfuscated due to the fact that I have a piano teacher who only swears only by Steinway (and not just any Steinway, but it has to be an older Steinway model). She's not the first piano teacher I have had to have such a preference. On reflection, I think I learned, as you said, that they are just like any other brand. There's nothing magical with the name on the fall board. Some will speak to me, and some won't. Perhaps my more rational brain meets with my passionate brain and figures that, for me, with that particular selection of pianos, the additional cost isn't justified. I like to think that my dream piano is some C Bechstein somewhere out in the world, but perhaps I'll someday have a similar experience as I did in the Steinway Hall.

B
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
B
Dogperson,
YOU ARE SO RIGHT

I never played a Steinway that I 'loved' until recently
When it came time to upgrade and buy a high-end piano my goal was
either a Mason & Hamlin, Steinway or an Upper End European (Bosie, Bechstein)

Much to my surprise I found a perfect STEINWAY - very unexpectedly.
The TOUCH & the TONE - blew me away and because I was not expecting, esp the touch, to come out of a Steinway.
but it did.

I will be getting my new upgrade in June!

but it truly is ALL about TONE & TOUCH - at least if you are a serious musician.

Just as a side note: I liked the tone & touch of a Kawai GX I almost, unexpectedly, purchased a new GX.

Last edited by brdwyguy; 05/14/21 02:31 PM.

1961-1964: Emerson Upright
1969-1992: Westbrook Spinet
1992-2021: Schomacker B (1912) "Schoowie"
2021-Present: Steinway Model A (1912) "Amalia"

To Listen to my Music is to know me. To know me all you need do is listen to my music.
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I suppose my initial observations were obfuscated due to the fact that I have a piano teacher who only swears only by Steinway (and not just any Steinway, but it has to be an older Steinway model). She's not the first piano teacher I have had to have such a preference.

A little story about a teacher like this. I purchased my former Petrof IV grand from a family whose teacher insisted that they get a Steinway. So they bought a (1950's?) Steinway M and put their Petrof IV up for sale. A year later, I was the first person to inquire about the Petrof. Their son liked the Petrof more, I liked the Petrof more, their tech liked the Petrof more. I don't know why they were still listening to the teacher, but they were ready to have that second piano out of their living room to make way for a Christmas tree, so I got a deal!

Last edited by twocats; 05/14/21 02:54 PM.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
G
G
Originally Posted by twocats
I suppose my initial observations were obfuscated due to the fact that I have a piano teacher who only swears only by Steinway (and not just any Steinway, but it has to be an older Steinway model). She's not the first piano teacher I have had to have such a preference.

A little story about a teacher like this. I purchased my former Petrof IV grand from a family whose teacher insisted that they get a Steinway. So they bought a (1950's?) Steinway M and put their Petrof IV up for sale. A year later, I was the first person to inquire about the Petrof. Their son liked the Petrof more, I liked the Petrof more, their tech liked the Petrof more. I don't know why they were still listening to the teacher, but they were ready to have that second piano out of their living room to make way for a Christmas tree, so I got a deal!

It's funny how that works! Good for you, I'm glad you got the deal.

Off-topic, but have I told you that Bo is one of the most beautiful pianos I have seen?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
It's funny how that works! Good for you, I'm glad you got the deal.

Off-topic, but have I told you that Bo is one of the most beautiful pianos I have seen?

Haha, I bought the Petrof IV mostly because I wanted a grand and it was a good deal (and I loved my Petrof upright)! It turned out that it being a good deal wasn't enough to make up for the fact that I just didn't like it all that much (although I liked it far more than that old Steinway!). It was a real shame that they wouldn't let the son play or keep the piano that he loved though. He was a really sweet boy.

And thank you, Bo is the most beautiful piano I've ever seen and I'm still amazed that it's sitting in my living room!

I guess the moral is: judge each piano on its own, definitely not by brand! I was so disappointed when I was piano shopping five years back and played some new Steinways. I'd been so hopeful that they'd be like the B that I loved in college.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
Honestly if you'd love a new Steinway and can afford it, this might be a good opportunity to select a new instrument from Steinway. Steinway does get a lot of flack on this forum because of some of their business practices (basically saying that every other brand is less than theirs, in a way that other makers don't bother doing), but their pianos can be incredible if the right technician works on them. My personal preference is for the Hamburgs, although some of the latest NY models - those made in the past ten years - can be extremely beautiful.

There are other great pianos out there which can be bought for less, even at retail price, and it's up to the individual buyer if they think that a premium level piano is worth the extra money over say, a beautifully voiced Yamaha C3X. I happen to think the premium pianos do give a wider dynamic range and range of colour, but whether that justifies the astronomical price, who knows?

YAMAHA Artist
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I guess if you’ve always wanted a new Steinway, a sale with some discount is a nice incentive. Plus if there’s a spouse or partner to convince you need this big expensive piano, a limited time sales price can help. I think if I walked into a Steinway shop with sale prices all over I could get into serious trouble.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
J
6000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member
J
It's funny because even though I don't think Steinways are the best pianos in the world, I mean they're good but I don't believe in a best really, and I haven't really enjoyed that many Steinways, there's still a lure to the idea of owning one. They've certainly created brand loyalty and mystique.

YAMAHA Artist
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission