2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (BlaisGuitars, BlakeOR, Carey, Boboulus, c++, bsalad, AlphaTerminus, 16 invisible), 595 guests, and 493 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
OP Offline
E
Asked for an opinion by a local tuner. The instrument (he says) is around twenty cents flat (from A = 435) except for ten cents below the bass break. Last tuned six months ago. No loose tuning pins. Should he tune it to A = 430? I figure 4 cents per Hertz at A = 440, 435 is twenty cents below that, currently is twenty cents lower, so A = 430.

Customer says the piano has never held tune. Tuner says he found it at A = 442 a year ago and tried A = 435. The tone doesn't indicate any bridge or soundboard problems.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
E
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by edferris
Customer says the piano has never held tune. Tuner says he found it at A = 442 a year ago and tried A = 435. The tone doesn't indicate any bridge or soundboard problems.

Greeting,s
This logic escapes me. Seasonal changes can move a piano 12 cents between winter and summer, depending on where you have it. I don't suppose Miami has the same swing as Minneapolis, so that has to be considered. If I found a piano at 442, in the middle of summer, I would tune it there. However, I don't ever see a piano that is equally off pitch, so it may be at 442 right above the bass break, 440 in the middle, and 441 in the top, so there is an average line that extends through the span. Perhaps a year of 441 in humid seasons and 439 in winter would give a baseline, but moving things 30 cents flat, all at once, will probably de-stabilze everything for a full cycle.

It seems that the piano may have gone way sharp before he tuned it down, and then went to the other side of the cycle and dropped below. We have had long threads of floating pitch on this forum, so there is some research material for those interested.

I have also noticed that flat soundboards, or those with no real bearing, will cause wild swings not only during seasonal changes, but also during tuning. I have assumed it was because it takes little change to move the initial tension changes from a straight string to one with bearing.

Regards,

E
OP Offline
E
Talked to the tech again and got some more information. The piano is an antique Weber with a three-quarter exposed pinblock. I suggested that perhaps the block is loose and is being gradually pulled forward by the strings, so that he will never reach a stable pitch. He doesn't like that idea. Still, he can't explain how the pins are stiff but not holding pitch. On the other hand, I can't explain how a loose block wouldn't take up all the slack at once, instead of gradually.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
There is ALWAYS a reason. One simply needs to investigate further. An old Weber probably should be tuned lower. I have had excessive string breakage on those, probably due to the type of wire used back then. At this point (three piano lifetimes later) it just can't takebitv any more.

And of course as mentioned there could be other problems.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about upright piano placement
by Nicolas J. - 06/23/21 01:38 PM
The most entertaining encore I've ever seen
by pianoloverus - 06/23/21 01:38 PM
Lower Pianoteq power consumption
by meghdad - 06/23/21 11:18 AM
Opinion on Sherlock and Manning 13657
by JKyser - 06/23/21 09:39 AM
What a great book!
by Ubu - 06/23/21 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,667
Posts3,106,600
Members101,889
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission