2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (3B43, Craig Hair, anotherscott, claburo, clothearednincompo, Blague, 11 invisible), 309 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3117108 05/13/21 10:12 AM
OP Offline
I have played my new piano everyday since April 20th, until yesterday. Played golf and went to a 95th birthday party for a very spry friend. I may have burned a couple brain cells. Hope they weren't piano cells!

Actually I find a break now and again is beneficial for me. Now I'm anxious to get back to my beautiful girl!

Have a great day everyone.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In the first year I used to freak out when I missed a day but not anymore. It's a long-term endeavor. Don't worry about it. Or if you do you can always visit the MOYD thread (is that still maintained?).

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Let's not talk about burning brain cells... I often sit in my zoom lesson with nice craft beer and then ask my teacher "whoa, whoa, whoa dial it back... can we repeat that" hahah It's all about enjoying the process, right? I don't know if it's a downfall but I always have so many questions I'm also too curious about everything we study.

Yes, I agree time off is just as important as time at the piano.

R
R
I don't miss days often, but when I do, I'm excited for the day that follows. I have found that going at it with a fresh mind can do wonders.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Taking a break is very good imho. I don't play when I have holidays, so a few times a few weeks every year.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ranjit
I don't miss days often, but when I do, I'm excited for the day that follows. I have found that going at it with a fresh mind can do wonders.

+1 Ranjit. I feel the same.

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sebs #3117283 05/13/21 06:52 PM
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sebs
Let's not talk about burning brain cells... I often sit in my zoom lesson with nice craft beer and then ask my teacher "whoa, whoa, whoa dial it back... can we repeat that" hahah It's all about enjoying the process, right? I don't know if it's a downfall but I always have so many questions I'm also too curious about everything we study.

Yes, I agree time off is just as important as time at the piano.
Well, I have learned I can't enjoy an adult beverage and try to play. So, I schedule wisely. 😆

I agree with everyone a break is a good thing. I should probably take a couple days off. But to paraphrase John Mellencamp, I've got more days behind me than in front of me. No time to waste!

Last edited by SunnyKeys; 05/13/21 06:52 PM.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
In the first year I used to freak out when I missed a day but not anymore. It's a long-term endeavor. Don't worry about it. Or if you do you can always visit the MOYD thread (is that still maintained?).
Is partying an acceptable excuse? 😎😇🤔

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
W
W
Haven’t missed a day since I started over 4 and a half years ago. Had days where I do less but never nothing

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Wayne2467
Haven’t missed a day since I started over 4 and a half years ago. Had days where I do less but never nothing
Impressive!

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
W
W
Originally Posted by SunnyKeys
Impressive!
Each to their own and whatever works/ suits best👍

R
R
I usually don't miss days. But I have a feeling you will have to skip a day occasionally if you're truly pushing yourself to do better. After a few days of consistently putting in 4-6 hours, I will just not be able to play the piano once I'm mentally tired. (After about two weeks of that kind of regimen, maybe.) It's totally possible to play every day if you're not pushing that kind of regimen though.

Last edited by ranjit; 05/15/21 03:16 AM.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Don't people occasionally just have fun at the piano, if you feel you need a rest day from practicing? Don't feel you must be working on or at your favorite instrument every day. After all, all work and no play makes Jill a dull girl.

On the days when you can't concentrate (for any reason), just sit at the piano and doodle. Anything that doesn't require you to play specific notes with strict accuracy and timing, and therefore doesn't require 'work'. Play as fast or as slow as you like. As loud or as soft as you like. Your fingers will thank you for it.

For instance, sitting at the piano yesterday, after a long hard day at work, I couldn't concentrate, dreaming of a vacation I couldn't take this summer in the Swiss Alps (hiking and climbing) because of a pesky spiky bug, and visions of edelweiss hiding amongst the rocks in the mountains came into my mind, so I decided to improvise variations on Edelweiss instead, in the style of Schumann (as I had originally intended to practice Kreisleriana). Pretty soon, I was playing Do-re-mi in the style of his good friend Brahms. (My mind works that way.) My fingers got their daily exercise tickling the ivories, and I had a great time, as did my piano. All without stressing my grey cells......

Edelweiss & the North Face of the Eiger:
https://www.petalrepublic.com/wp-co...s-Flower-Meaning-Symbolism-and-Uses.jpeg

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I actually plan ‘away’ from the piano days. Especially if I worked hard on quarantined part or preparing for something. I need the space and often find it allows my brain to digest, and noticed it comes together better.

I love sight reading some easier piece from the pianist magazine when it comes out. It is just fun, not a designated piece for anything in particular.

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
R
R
Originally Posted by bennevis
On the days when you can't concentrate (for any reason), just sit at the piano and doodle. Anything that doesn't require you to play specific notes with strict accuracy and timing, and therefore doesn't require 'work'. Play as fast or as slow as you like. As loud or as soft as you like. Your fingers will thank you for it.
I've found that if you're constantly stretching yourself, there occasionally comes a day where your brain is sort of overwhelmed and needs some rest, even from doodling.

Wayne2467 - Bravo!

Stormbringer

Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
OP Offline
Originally Posted by bennevis
Don't people occasionally just have fun at the piano, if you feel you need a rest day from practicing? Don't feel you must be working on or at your favorite instrument every day. After all, all work and no play makes Jill a dull girl.
Recently I've been finishing my playing day with pieces I have learned previously. This is the fun part for me. Constantly trying to learn new pieces gets to be a drag after a while. I'm working in Level 1 books but I feel I've actually learned more difficult pieces already. Going back and having fun "just playing" helps to reinforce the progress I've made.

I tried to practice tonight and everything was awful. The piano won't spring legs tonight. It will be there tomorrow.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Recently I've been finishing my playing day with pieces I have learned previously. This is the fun part for me.

I have made a whole book (pdf) with favourite pieces. After my regular practice, I can play whatever I feel like, and many times that means playing from that book. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Animisha
Recently I've been finishing my playing day with pieces I have learned previously. This is the fun part for me.

I have made a whole book (pdf) with favourite pieces. After my regular practice, I can play whatever I feel like, and many times that means playing from that book. smile

I have discovered there is a balance, especially at my level of play. There are a few pieces I enjoy playing and like to keep fresh. At the same time, I have to let some pieces go because there is not enough time to keep them all fresh. It is refreshing, again at my very meager point, to see I can bring a piece back after not playing it for a while in much less time than it took me to learn it in the first place. I need all the little victories I can get!

I do need to clean out my notebook again.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,783
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission