2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (clothearednincompo, CyberGene, Bebe1980, BlaisGuitars, 36251, chopin_r_us, 11 invisible), 293 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
My plan is to keep writing an entry each day to keep me on track and see how I progress, and any new insights I arrive at. I've finished writing posts for the first 12 days.

Here are a few of the entries:
https://blizzardpiano.wordpress.com/2021/05/11/day-5/

https://blizzardpiano.wordpress.com/2021/05/11/day-8/

https://blizzardpiano.wordpress.com/2021/05/11/day-9/

What do you guys think? I've always wanted to start some kind of a blog due to my interest in writing, and am quite happy that I finally got the motivation to follow through.

I will make sure to reply to any suggestions! smile

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Nice way to combine two interests. I like to keep track of how long I play every day, month, year. I think my journal keeps me accountable to myself. I try to set monthly goals, review them at the end of each month and year. The 6 month or year reviews are where I can see that I have made substantial progress.

I read in your blog you had your first in person lesson. How long have you been playing? I would be interested to read your thoughts and impressions on the different forms of instruction.

Good luck with your blog and playing.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by SunnyKeys
Nice way to combine two interests. I like to keep track of how long I play every day, month, year. I think my journal keeps me accountable to myself. I try to set monthly goals, review them at the end of each month and year. The 6 month or year reviews are where I can see that I have made substantial progress.
Hi, thanks! I might think of doing that in the future, but I'm too scatterbrained for now and am not thinking too far down the line laugh

Are there any ideas in the blog which you liked in particular?

I read in your blog you had your first in person lesson. How long have you been playing? I would be interested to read your thoughts and impressions on the different forms of instruction.
I have been playing for around 5 years, and started taking lessons during the lockdown. I might write about that someday! For now, I will just say that online lessons were certainly effective, but very subtle technical issues are better explained in person.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BlizzardPiano
What do you guys think?

Hi BlizzardPiano, it is a very nice idea! However, you don't do much to draw the reader into the text. In the first paragraph of the first day, we only get very little information about you, and why is this day 1? I would have liked some kind of introduction to you and your practice.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Animisha
What do you guys think?

Hi BlizzardPiano, it is a very nice idea! However, you don't do much to draw the reader into the text. In the first paragraph of the first day, we only get very little information about you, and why is this day 1? I would have liked some kind of introduction to you and your practice.

You're right! I should edit the first day and come up with some kind of introduction page.

B
OP Offline
B
What do you guys think?

I completely revamped Day 1. Have a look!
https://blizzardpiano.wordpress.com/2021/05/11/day-1/

I added a description of myself. I also added in a bunch of images, it's probably gone a bit overboard, but heck, I was having fun! I'm finally on my way to blogging nirvana :P To those over here, I am quite serious about the blog, but I don't really care for writing something which reads like an academic text -- it's always a fun challenge to try and convey things in a fun manner while not losing quality.

I'd say that one of the advantages to the stream-of-consciousness style I have here over something more dry, like a textbook, is that I'm free to go off on tangents and come up with wild conjectures.

Last edited by BlizzardPiano; 05/13/21 04:33 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

BlizzardPiano, much, much better!

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
I like the new day 1 post. So, if you had to do it all again, when would you have made the leap to in person lessons? I'm struggling with this decision now. Also, do you find that one lesson a week is enough, too much...maybe fodder for another blog post after you've had a few more.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
B
OP Offline
B

BlizzardPiano, much, much better!
Thank you!

B
OP Offline
B
I like the new day 1 post. So, if you had to do it all again, when would you have made the leap to in person lessons? I'm struggling with this decision now. Also, do you find that one lesson a week is enough, too much...maybe fodder for another blog post after you've had a few more.
I'm pretty happy with how things have gone so far and have learned some valuable skills by trying to learn on my own. That said, if I could get a good teacher at the start and afford one (neither was possible for me at the time), I would have done that. I think good teacher is imperative here -- I don't think it would have made much of a difference, except for motivation, if I had an average teacher.

B
OP Offline
B
I had a very interesting day yesterday, and was able to get into a sort of flow state. It's rather mysterious and hard to analyze such states where your hands just seem to glide over the piano, effortlessly. They are characterized by a suspension of judgement, which makes it hard to analyze what actually went on! Having a recording helps sometimes.

Do you have similar experiences to share?

https://blizzardpiano.wordpress.com/2021/05/13/day-13/

I find the concept of flow quite fascinating. The book that goes by the same name by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi is also worth a read.

Last edited by BlizzardPiano; 05/13/21 04:45 PM.

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,766
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission