2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (1957, butchkoch, Alex McG, Christopher90, Alex Hutor, 1903wrightflyer, clothearednincompo, 10 invisible), 222 guests, and 445 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Hello,

I am just curious what your thoughts on this repertoire are, I need to choose about an hour worth of pieces and am a bit conflicted for what to choose. One idea I had was to play the entire Chopin Concerto and perhaps one or two other short pieces, but I'm not sure if it is all too common to play a whole concerto as part of a senior recital. Would it be a good idea to play works from each period (Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern) or have any of you done a programme of only a specific period?

I have not learnt any new pieces in a long time because it's too difficult to keep up the repertoire I have as it is.... What would your thoughts be on a program like this?

Liszt--Transcendental Etude No. 1
Bach—Prelude & Fugue in G minor BWV 861
Bartok—Improvisations Op. 10 (selected ones, since the whole set is too long)
Chopin—Études Op. 10 No. 2, 3, 4, 5
Beethoven—Sonata No. 17 in D minor
Debussy—Estampes (maybe just one of these, since the whole thing is also too long)
Liszt--Paganini Etude No. 5
Chopin--Études Op. 10 No. 6, 9
Chopin--Ballade No. 1 in G minor
Liszt--Transcendental Etude No. 11

Whole thing is about an hour. The way I have this might be strange, because I skip around with the Chopin and Liszt etudes. I also don't know if I'd like to end the programme with something contemplative like Transcendental No. 11 or maybe something more energetic like the Ballade or maybe even "Jardins sous la pluie" from Estampes.

Actually, even more than an opinion on my ideas, I am curious to hear what your senior recital programme was/is?

Thank you!

Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. --Fryderyk Chopin
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Well first off -- wouldn't it be extremely unusual to do a CONCERTO in such a recital?
(How would you do it? Making a solo arrangement? Having someone play the orchestra part on a second piano?)

As long as you realize it's a highly unusual thing (which I think it is), and as long as you can play it well, and as long as your teacher (or someone like that) thinks it's OK, then it's a nice idea and a neat centerpiece to weave everything else around.
But that's a lot of ifs.....

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks @Marc_C! Yes I think it is probably a better idea to play the other pieces instead of a concerto. If I were to do the concerto, it would be with a second piano part for orchestra.

Simplicity is the final achievement. After one has played a vast quantity of notes and more notes, it is simplicity that emerges as the crowning reward of art. --Fryderyk Chopin
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Well first off -- wouldn't it be extremely unusual to do a CONCERTO in such a recital?
(How would you do it? Making a solo arrangement? Having someone play the orchestra part on a second piano?)

[...]

There are solo versions of the Chopin piano concerti. Some people feel that not much is lost without the orchestra part; I don't agree, but it does leave the option open.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
C
OP Offline
C
Thank you for letting me know, I have been wondering about that actually!

If it was me, I'd pick:

what I love most, what I think I play best, and what I have the most personal feel for.

.....which might be saying the same thing 3 times. smile

For me, from the pieces you mentioned, that might be:

Bach—Prelude & Fugue in G minor BWV 861

Beethoven—Sonata No. 17 in D minor

Bartok—Improvisations Op. 20
(I'm pretty sure you do mean Op. 20, even though you said Op. 10 -- not that I knew that or anything grin ....just that I saw that Op. 10 is something else)

Chopin--Ballade No. 1 in G minor

.....which of course doesn't necessarily have anything to do with what would be best for you!!

BTW, in this particular program, the whole Bartok set does fit. (This whole program is a few minutes less than an hour.)

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Never having done a "senior recital" program, may I say, however, that as a listener - and perhaps even more so as an examiner (which I am not!) - I would not be totally enamored of your program, quite frankly.

I appreciate that the program does have two major works: the Beethoven Sonata and the Chopin Ballade. However, the rest (Bach excepted), short pieces by and large, just seem to be filling in time with display but without giving the program any sense of structure or direction.

Along with the Chopin Ballade, you have six Chopin Etudes (splitting them doesn't have a point, for me) and three Liszt Etudes; nine Etudes? All relatively short, but all Etudes, i.e. bravura pieces which are more technique than substance. Understand, I certainly have a sincere love of the Chopin Etudes, and a great deal of respect for what Chopin does in them, but in this context they don't work that well for me.

If this is the repertoire you have to work with for your recital, I don't know what suggestions of order to make to make the program work - for me.

Of course, this is just one man's opinion; others may think quite differently, so take mine with a grain (or two!) of salt.

What does your teacher say about your program?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Bruce: Remember, he was giving a 'buffet' from which to pick about an hour's worth.

I think it gives terrific opportunities for a terrific program -- but, per what you said, I think it does essentially require including the Beethoven.

C
OP Offline
C
@Marc_C Yes, I meant Op. 20 thanks for correcting my typo! I agree, I think the program would not be nearly as strong without the Beethoven, as it is one of my only large classical period works.

@BruceD No worries, I understand your opinion! It is a lot of etudes, perhaps too many smile I haven't actually presented this idea to my teacher yet, but I will let you know what her thoughts are.

Thanks for your insights!

P.S. If you learn music as fast as you answer posts, you're guaranteed to do well! ha

C
OP Offline
C
Lol I wish grin

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Bruce: Remember, he was giving a 'buffet' from which to pick about an hour's worth.

[...]

Well, I read this in his post: "Whole thing is about an hour," and when I started adding up the timing of some of the pieces I thought he meant (along with other comments in his post including the arrangement of the program) that the "whole thing is about an hour."

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BTW, you seem good on language and stuff -- what's the difference between buffet and smorgasbord? ha

(that's not a joke -- it's not like I have a punchline or anything!)

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by BruceD

[...]

Well, I read this in his post: "Whole thing is about an hour," and when I started adding up the timing of some of the pieces I thought he meant (along with other comments in his post including the arrangement of the program) that the "whole thing is about an hour."

Regards,

Approximate timings:

Beethoven Sonata: 26:00
Bach Prelude and Fugue: 4:00
Chopin, Ballade: 10:00
Chopin Etudes: 10:00
Debussy, Jardins: 3:30
Liszt: 2:00, 7:30, 3:00

Around 65:00 minutes.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
A
A
This is an unusual program yes, and too much of the same kind of stuff if you ask me. I would strongly consider playing some Schumann or Schubert, but if the recital is coming up in the following weeks I suppose there won't be any time to add anything new.

C
OP Offline
C
It is not coming up until at least half a year from now. I have some pieces by Schubert, so I could consider playing one of those. smile

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
1. Beethoven Sonata No. 17 in D minor

2. Debussy Estampes

3a. Chopin Etudes 10/5, 10/6, 10/9
3b. Chopin Gm Ballade
3c. Chopin Etudes 10/2, 10/3, 10/4

This assumes all are secure in your repertoire. If that exceeds an hour, trim some of the Etudes, eg 3a

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.
P.S. to Bruce: I see that that list actually is a suggested program, not a 'buffet' to choose from!
(I misread it)

(although, if we do take the whole list, it's over an hour, even if just a few of the Bartok pieces -- BTW was it on purpose that you left out any of the Bartok?)

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]BTW was it on purpose that you left out any of the Bartok?)

I left out the Bartok because 1) I don't know the work and 2) I couldn't find timings of the individual pieces. I was assuming they would be few and short.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
When I did my senior recital, I had to have at least one piece from each historical period - Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Modern. You don't have a requirement like that? We were supposed to be demonstrating that we had learned to play in each historical style. Otherwise the recitals would have been all Chopin...

Sam

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,766
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission