2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
33 members (Animisha, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by josh_sounds
I ran across many of ranjit's post on other threads. His post are always grandstanding, like this Post#3116075, in this same thread. But from his own words never addresses the OP's issues, as seen below from Post#3116420
Originally Posted by ranjit
I wasn't saying this in the context of OP.
Aren't we all here to say something in the context of the OP's question?
No, we aren't. It's perfectly valid to go on tangents. And I did provide a bunch of feedback on the OP's situation -- see here, as well as the following posts: https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...rns-about-piano-teacher.html#Post3115537

I think that we fundamentally disagree on what the point of such threads is. Sure, there is some advice for OP, but the fun part of forums is to have a discussion with people, and go off on tangents. I think that the OP's question has been answered well enough, in four pages of responses, which you clearly haven't taken the time to read through.

Originally Posted by Jethro
If I were the teacher I would say have patience young padewan. Rome wasn't built in a day. We've only had 8 lessons.

Jethro - You can call me padewan if it makes you feel important. It doesn't bother me.

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rokushji
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
I tried learning Fur Elise shortly after starting lessons 5 years ago. In hindsight, it was a mistake. I didn't have the appropriate dexterity in my fingers/hands to play comfortably. I didn't know anything about phrasing. I couldn't count and play at the same time. I couldn't read and play at the same time. I couldn't do anything really.

Nothing wrong with having stretch pieces, but pieces shouldn't take a year to learn. I'd wait and come back, you'll learn it a lot faster. Play easier pieces, learn relaxation, phrasing and elimination of tension from the beginning.

This is very similar to my situation. I don't know phrasing. Counting and playing at the same time gives me a headache; I was able to play Minuet in G Major and G Minor in an acceptable manner because I have a natural sense of rhythm and know what it should sound like. And I can only read notes for the purpose of learning the song. Once I've learned the song, I may be looking at the score, but am unable to identify the notes I'm actually playing. Make sense?

It does. I have a video from Dec 2015, 1 month into lessons, where I play section A. So I think anyone can learn the notes, but looking back on the experience it was a brute force, bare knuckles, hope my fingers land in the right spot approach, lol. I wouldn't recommend that for anyone, nor would I would approach any piece like I did back then.

I'd take a look at some Sonatina's by Clementi. They are easy to read (well, after 5 years they are) and there are many things that can be worked on with these types of pieces. Phrasing, counting, evenness of scales, etc. My teacher back then knew Fur Elise was too much, so after hacking my way through it she introduced me to Clementi to take a step back. Although this particular teacher didn't really talk much about relaxation, hand movement, etc. It wasn't until my 3rd teacher that it came up. So today, I'm trying to incorporate that training by going back and playing easier pieces.

Alas, tomorrow is my last lesson with a great teacher. I'm temporarily stopping them due to other projects that have come up in my life. I can't devote enough time to warrant paying the expense towards lessons. I'm not giving up piano by any means. But I'd like to go back to easier pieces and refine some technique with what I've learned this past year. Some say those pieces sound good, but the difference today is that I think much differently while playing by focusing on what sound I would like to create, along with thinking about hand movement and keeping my body loose and relaxed. I also had a serious issue with finger 4 in the right hand, where playing it caused number 5 to get an erection. The Doyhani exercises helped with that, but also thinking about being tense free helps too.

I really appreciate the following which I found in an old piano book my mother had:

A music education for a piano student consists of two things:

1. A mind trained to understand the fundamentals and construction of music, and the principles which underlie piano playing.
2. Hands trained to execute the will of the educated mind.

I want my fingers to do what I tell them to do, but it takes a lot of time to educate the mind!

Anyway, I hope that makes sense smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I forgot what the main topic was of this thread.

I read @ranjit comments where it get the impression you can only learn and be good if you have talent everything is talent you have it or you don't but then a twist comes where with the right teacher anything is possible!

Then I read change teachers, no keep this one, learn Fue Elise, dont learn it

And I don't even know what a padewan is

I'm just messing around but I'm lost in this thread and I think the OP is probably more confused now... laugh laugh laugh

Last edited by Sebs; 05/12/21 11:24 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
You'll have to excuse me if I went off topic. I had my second dose yesterday and I am lying in bed hoping I don't die. I may be delirious 😂 Did I use lying correctly?

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Stormbringer
If I were the teacher I would say have patience young padewan. Rome wasn't built in a day. We've only had 8 lessons.

Jethro - You can call me padewan if it makes you feel important. It doesn't bother me.

Stormbringer
No harm meant Stormbringer. A Padawan is simply an apprentice in Star Wars lore. I was just trying to be a little humorous. No bad intentions bud.

I guess I could have said young grasshopper but then I would be clearly revealing what generation I’m from 😝

I say we all play nice and just respect that other people have different opinions than we do. There is simply no reason to be critical against another poster for his/her opinion. It makes these boards not a nice place to visit.

Last edited by Jethro; 05/12/21 12:44 PM.
Originally Posted by Stormbringer

Stormbringer
No harm meant Stormbringer. A Padawan is simply an apprentice in Star Wars lore. I was just trying to be a little humorous. No bad intentions bud.

I guess I could have said young grasshopper but then I would be clearly revealing what generation I’m from 😝

I say we all play nice and just respect that other people have different opinions than we do. There is simply no reason to be critical against another poster for his/her opinion. It makes these boards not a nice place to visit.

Jethro - No prob. We'll just pretend it never happened...PALPATINE! Just kidding laugh

Hey, if you're ever at home alone playing your piano and some of the keys start playing themselves, just know that I am simply practicing my "Padawan" abilities from afar : )

Mwahahaha...

Stormbringer

Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
R
1000 Post Club Member
Online Sleepy
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Sebs

I read @ranjit comments where it get the impression you can only learn and be good if you have talent everything is talent you have it or you don't but then a twist comes where with the right teacher anything is possible!

I think that you can learn to be pretty good regardless of whether you have talent (maybe get to a grade 5/grade 8 level). Talent sort of allows you to learn differently and skip steps which many people would otherwise take.

It's not true that anything is possible. The chances of me being able to play Liszt concert etudes in public is slim to none.

It's usually in between -- a lot is possible, but there are limitations. A good teacher can provide a good foundation and set you on the right track, but again, we do see students of good teachers who do not manage to get there. It depends on the individual.

And I think that's what I'm saying at the end of the day. It's hard to give a definitive answer without really knowing the person. It's possible in certain situations, and not possible in others. By not possible, I mean within say the next month -- not a few years down the line, when it would most certainly be achievable.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ranjit
Originally Posted by Sebs

I think that you can learn to be pretty good regardless of whether you have talent (maybe get to a grade 5/grade 8 level). Talent sort of allows you to learn differently and skip steps which many people would otherwise take.

It's not true that anything is possible. The chances of me being able to play Liszt concert etudes in public is slim to none.

It's usually in between -- a lot is possible, but there are limitations. A good teacher can provide a good foundation and set you on the right track, but again, we do see students of good teachers who do not manage to get there. It depends on the individual.

And I think that's what I'm saying at the end of the day. It's hard to give a definitive answer without really knowing the person. It's possible in certain situations, and not possible in others. By not possible, I mean within say the next month -- not a few years down the line, when it would most certainly be achievable.

I see what you mean now. I was probably just lost in all the posts here. Thanks for summing it up smile

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission