2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
27 members (David B, CyberGene, Burkey, Bett, danno858, BlakeOR, 1957, 4 invisible), 942 guests, and 513 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3116666 05/12/21 10:54 AM
TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
I am very restricted in DP as I have very limited space, and after some research I'd decided that either the CA49 or the CLP-725 would be the best fits. I went to shop today that had both, but much preferred the sound and the keys on the CA49.
The only problem is there won't be any available until July 2022!!!
Should I just suck it up and get the CLP-725?

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
If you're going 7xx, get 745

TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by EinLudov
I'm stuck due to the lack of available space, I can't fit in anything wider than 1360mm and the 745 is 1465mm so it's the CLP-725 or CA49 only.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TessB
Originally Posted by EinLudov
I'm stuck due to the lack of available space, I can't fit in anything wider than 1360mm and the 745 is 1465mm so it's the CLP-725 or CA49 only.

The control panel of Clavinova used to be just in the front of the player, up to the CLP4xx... and too many pianists would prefer at the left side, less visible. Then, nowadays Clavinova are wider.

Perhaps some Roland or Casio...

But I would prefer to select a model according to the feeling and the sound rather than from the wide and the shipping delay criteria.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 05/12/21 12:55 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
I hope I’m not cynical but 14 months for a CA49 is ridiculous 🤣

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
P
P
Perhaps a lack of microchips. There is a car factory that closed in the Netherlands a few days ago because they can't get chips...

V
V
Another slim option at the same price point (in fact, lower than the others...) is kawai cn29.

TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
I did look at the CN29 but I love the keys on the CA49.
I know there are a few available in England but returning them for a warranty repair would be incredibly expensive. Also I'd have to pay for shipping here in the first instance too. Apparently their production was hit hard due to Co I'd and demand has risen due to so many people having time on their hands. So yeah, next July...
Who knows, maybe one of my grown up children will have vacated a room before July 2022 and I'll be able to get something bigger smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
V
V
If you did not like the cn29 keys, I assume that you will also dislike clp725 in the long term (they have very similar characteristics). Did you find them different? In that case I would wait for ca49 (maybe production will catch up before 14 months).

TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Animisha
That's the one, but they're in Germany and I'm anxious about buying from overseas in case I need to get work done under warranty. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by vagfilm
If you did not like the cn29 keys, I assume that you will also dislike clp725 in the long term (they have very similar characteristics). Did you find them different? In that case I would wait for ca49 (maybe production will catch up before 14 months).

I'm not really an experienced enough player to be able to compare very well, I've only been learning for 4 months, but I just loved the feel of the keyboard on all the Kawai CA models and the other keys on everything else all just compared very unfavourably.
I think I'll just resign myself to waiting, and keep looking. The piano shop did offer to lend me a piano until the CA49 is in stock, which was extremely kind of them, but I have a Celviano AP-21 which will do in the meantime.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That's the one, but they're in Germany and I'm anxious about buying from overseas in case I need to get work done under warranty. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Thomann is one of the most trusted shops here in germany and other countries. So no worries about getting the help if needed.

Kawai: NV5 | VPC1
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand
TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Tyr

Thomann is one of the most trusted shops here in germany and other countries. So no worries about getting the help if needed.

My concern is more about the cost of returning it to them, international shipping for such a heavy item would be very expensive.
I've emailed them to ask them for a delivery quote, as I've also noticed the free shipping doesn't apply to islands. I'll see what they get back to me with.. Thank you 😊

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Did they answer you Tess?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Not sure how it works over the pond but I have a Yamaha P125 that makes a tinny sound on some keys and key combinations. When I contacted Yamaha they directed me to another store that handled the warranty. (Of course they couldn't hear what I heard and I do a factory reset when I start hearing it.) All that to say, you may be able to get warranty work done closer to home. Worth checking out. Good luck.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
Hi TessB,

welcome in my camp. I had exactly the same issue with space. My piano is side by side with my height adjustable desk and there is less than 140cm left. From Kawai there is only CN29 and CA49 as you already said. And CN17, but if CN29 action is already too toyish for you, CN17 isn't an option either. I tried all those models side by side in a shop and can understand you like CA49 better. It feels better than CN29. period.

I haven't tried Yamaha's CLP625 because it was out of stock everywhere and the 725 wasn't released yet. But CLP725 is the direct competitor to CN29 feature-wise and I also think the actions is in the same leage. So you would probably also be disappointed if you compare it with CA49.

But another option worth trying out are the Rolands, they all have the control elements behind the keys and are less wide than the other models of Yamaha and Kawai:
I guess their PHA-4 actions isn't better than CN29, so you can skip F701 RF701 and HP702.
But PHA-50 action plays in the same ballpark as Kawais CA49, so you could try out:
- HP704: (1377mm) super-natural-modeling sound engine
- LX705: (1383mm) pure-acoustic-modeling sounde engine
And if money is no issue, there is also the Hybrid Grand action, very long keysticks, probably better than CA49 action.
- LX706/708: (1383mm) pure-acoustic-modeling sounde engine

If you are not planning to be mobile with your piano, you would not go with a slab. A cabinet piano looks nicer, you have 3 pedals that are not moving on your floor and there is a cover for your keyboard to prevent it from dust. With a slab you have to pay extra 300 to get that goodies and then the keyboard cover is still only a workaround like a blanket or an ugly plastic cover.

Adult Beginner, Kawai CN29
TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
Did they answer you Tess?
There's no free shipping to here so I'd have to pay actual shipping costs to get it delivered in the first place, and then I'd be liable for return costs for repairs too.
I've emailed a few places across the border, I could drive to pick one up and that might be a better option. Easier for any repairs.
I honestly hadn't thought of repairs till I joined this forum!

TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by SunnyKeys
Not sure how it works over the pond but I have a Yamaha P125 that makes a tinny sound on some keys and key combinations. When I contacted Yamaha they directed me to another store that handled the warranty. (Of course they couldn't hear what I heard and I do a factory reset when I start hearing it.) All that to say, you may be able to get warranty work done closer to home. Worth checking out. Good luck.
I had contacted Thomann about the warranty but I wonder now of I would be better contacting Kawai. Since joining this forum, I've realised that I really need to consider possible repairs along with the prlurchase.
Gear4music in England has the Kawai but they say it only comes with a 2 year warranty and anything after that involves purchasing an extended warranty, which seems odd to me when I belive Kawai themselves give a 5 year warranty.

TessB Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Wie Waldi
Hi TessB,

welcome in my camp. I had exactly the same issue with space. My piano is side by side with my height adjustable desk and there is less than 140cm left. From Kawai there is only CN29 and CA49 as you already said. And CN17, but if CN29 action is already too toyish for you, CN17 isn't an option either. I tried all those models side by side in a shop and can understand you like CA49 better. It feels better than CN29. period.

I haven't tried Yamaha's CLP625 because it was out of stock everywhere and the 725 wasn't released yet. But CLP725 is the direct competitor to CN29 feature-wise and I also think the actions is in the same leage. So you would probably also be disappointed if you compare it with CA49.

But another option worth trying out are the Rolands, they all have the control elements behind the keys and are less wide than the other models of Yamaha and Kawai:
I guess their PHA-4 actions isn't better than CN29, so you can skip F701 RF701 and HP702.
But PHA-50 action plays in the same ballpark as Kawais CA49, so you could try out:
- HP704: (1377mm) super-natural-modeling sound engine
- LX705: (1383mm) pure-acoustic-modeling sounde engine
And if money is no issue, there is also the Hybrid Grand action, very long keysticks, probably better than CA49 action.
- LX706/708: (1383mm) pure-acoustic-modeling sounde engine

If you are not planning to be mobile with your piano, you would not go with a slab. A cabinet piano looks nicer, you have 3 pedals that are not moving on your floor and there is a cover for your keyboard to prevent it from dust. With a slab you have to pay extra 300 to get that goodies and then the keyboard cover is still only a workaround like a blanket or an ugly plastic cover.
Hi Frédéric, thanks for the reply. Wouldn't 1cm more space make so much more difference? I'm trying to work out if I can rearrange furniture to make more room but I do have quite a small house.
The Rolands look lovely but I'd have to travel to England to try one out. There is a chance I'll be in England later this year, so if I still haven't got sorted with a digital piano by then I might take the ferry rather than fly, and bring a piano home with me!
I did try the CLP 725 but was disappointed with both the action and the sound. I think by the time I tried it, I had already fallen in love with the CA49 and was comparing everything to it.
Are you still trying to decide what will work best for you?

Last edited by TessB; 05/20/21 02:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Scriabin and Rachmaninoff on the Yamaha S7X.
by Sonepica - 06/19/21 12:57 AM
SOS I’m Feeling Scattered
by PianogrlNW - 06/19/21 12:10 AM
Why Liszt - Polonaise No. 1 is Underrated
by Batuhan - 06/18/21 10:25 PM
1890-1900 Knabe: size, bracing pattern, other?
by berninicaco3 - 06/18/21 06:41 PM
Yamaha MX100II LCD display no txt
by Hankster - 06/18/21 06:02 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,592
Posts3,105,017
Members101,852
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission