2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
67 members (bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 210 of 237 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 236 237
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Awesome @VicPinto - photos, videos and comments requested :-)

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I don't want to answer for mwf ... but I'd suggest you look at the years' long NV10 thread. There are many concerns expressed there about quality and performance.
Also, for all the complaints about the quaint, archaic control panel on the Yamaha, it's Kawai's touch-screen that gets complaints about poor functionality.
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello @mwf,
I'd just like to emphasize that I share the same thoughts as @David B and @CyberGene expressed.
I'm not sure why the NV-10 isn't worthy of your trust; to me it seems a wonderful instrument?

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello @mwf,

I'd just like to emphasize that I share the same thoughts as @David B and @CyberGene expressed.

I'm not sure why the NV-10 isn't worthy of your trust; to me it seems a wonderful instrument?

I'm trying not to be too biased here (especially on the N1X thread), but I have to agree. I would get the instrument that you enjoyed playing the most. Maybe you'll have bad luck and get a lemon, but hopefully you can work out an exchange/refund situation with your dealer beforehand? I'm certain you won't be stuck with a broken/faulty unit.

There are so many extremely satisfied NV-10 owners here, and I suspect if you actually tabulate the reports, a fair percentage of N1X users have also reported various issues such as keys sticking, optical sensor calibration issues, fallboards falling off, that it's kind of a wash: you have to deal with the possibility that whatever you get isn't going to be 100% perfect, and in such cases, it's really a matter of whether you can get the issue resolved.

But if you're playing at a level where the instrument cannot keep up with you, I really doubt you'll be happy with it in the long term. And that is really the single most important issue as a musician.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Well, I'm biased too, but I still think the NV10 is a bit risky in terms of quality. The falling fallboard on the N1X is an assembly thing (metal elements that have oval holes and should have been screwed a bit wider in the factory, maybe the workers haven't been instructed properly) and is easily fixable (even by the user), won't require ordering spare parts and is not a manufacturing/design issue. That is not the same as the stiff spring in the NV10 that was the result of a bad design, or the hiss of the speakers which is still a mystery and it may have quietly been acknowledged and fixed for newer batches but nobody tells you. I mean, I also try to be as non-biased as much but I'd prefer a Yamaha over a Kawai digital piano from a quality perspective alone.

That being said, I believe the action in the NV10 is a good one. Maybe better than N1X. I don't suffer from any prejudice against plastic, quite on the contrary, I believe Kawai made the right decision to use entirely plastic parts in the whippen area and I am convinced this will result in slightly better behavior than all-wood parts. (BTW there's a plastic jack and double-repetition lever in the N1X action too). Yet, I think Kawai, for reasons unknown to me, have problems with their quality.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/10/21 12:07 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Well, I'm biased too, but I still think the NV10 is a bit risky in terms of quality. The falling fallboard on the N1X is an assembly thing (metal elements that have oval holes and should have been screwed a bit wider in the factory, maybe the workers haven't been instructed properly) and is easily fixable (even by the user), won't require ordering spare parts and is not a manufacturing/design issue. That is not the same as the stiff spring in the NV10 that was the result of a bad design, or the hiss of the speakers which is still a mystery and it may have quietly been acknowledged and fixed for newer batches but nobody tells you. I mean, I also try to be as non-biased as much but I'd prefer a Yamaha over a Kawai digital piano from a quality perspective alone.

That being said, I believe the action in the NV10 is a good one. Maybe better than N1X. I don't suffer from any prejudice against plastic, quite on the contrary, I believe Kawai made the right decision to use entirely plastic parts in the whippen area and I am convinced this will result in slightly better behavior than all-wood parts. (BTW there's a plastic jack and double-repetition lever in the N1X action too). Yet, I think Kawai, for reasons unknown to me, have problems with their quality.

Some of these are fair points, but as a consumer, if I had a fallboard fall off, I'd be just as upset (perhaps more) than if I had a stiffer damper spring than I was used to? In the end, you might have a perfect unit, or you might not. But whether assembly or manufacturing defect, these things can be fixed. I'm not sure about the repetition speed (not that this is a huge issue generally, but it clearly IS a huge issue, perhaps the single most important issue, for mwf), and for that, I would think that the "gamble" on QA is a better bet than choosing an instrument that he knows isn't up to his needs?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
R
R
This discussion about repetition is ridiculous. No piano keyboard is perfect and as a pianist YOU need to adjust. Both the NV10 and N1X are extremely well made instruments and are excellent for an advanced/professional pianist. Maybe you should spend more time practicing and less time complaining about repetition? Geez

Robert

Acoustic: Yamaha C2X
Hybrid: Yamaha N1X
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 660S
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
To be perfectly honest, if I were mwf, I would go for a NV10 since he liked it and the repetition speed is very important to him. I’ll just make sure I find a NV10 to test and will spend a whole day in the store if needed and then get the unit if I like it. All NV10 issues have been mentioned already and so can also be verified in the store.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/10/21 01:13 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for the comments, but let's also bear in mind my current issues with CA99, which have been described as a non issue by Kawai UK... So hopefully you can. Understand my apprehension on getting another kawai.

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mwf
Thanks for the comments, but let's also bear in mind my current issues with CA99, which have been described as a non issue by Kawai UK... So hopefully you can. Understand my apprehension on getting another kawai.

My experience with Kawai customer service here in the U.S. has been amazing. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like that is consistent across their global distribution network.

One of the concerns I had switching from Kawai to Yamaha was the reality that Yamaha customer service might not be comparable. Thankfully, I haven't had to test it yet since my N1X has been problem free (purchased over two years ago). I did have some quality issues with my Kawai MP11SE that required it to be replaced with a new one. However, the process was painless because Kawai and my dealer were great. I also had problems with my Kawai ES8, but Kawai customer service was able to help me address those without any further intervention.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Kawai here in the U.S. because I know that if I had a problem I could call Kawai customer service and talk directly with a knowledgable representative and get it resolved. However, I might be reluctant if I didn't have that confidence since Kawai does seem to have more problems emerging in their higher end line of digital and hybrid pianos.

I just don't know why you would even consider the N1X since it was an utter failure the first time you tried it? It would be like me buying a piano that didn't allow me to play hymns. I wouldn't take it if someone gave it to me if I couldn't play the music I wanted to on it.

Either way, best of luck in your pursuit. Hopefully, you'll find something that satisfies your desire. It would be great if it was an N1X. It's always fun to watch and listen to videos of people playing the N1X. Just don't do that thing with the descending lights. I'd rather see you and the piano. smile

God Bless,
David

M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
I don't enjoy the nv10 samples at all, and nor do I like the speaker system, in fact last time i played it i detested it... I LOVE the action however.

N1X i like the samples more and the speaker system maybe is slightly less terrible, but still not good. The action is good enough and although not ideal, i do prefer the key tops/feeling as opposed to the kawai, but that's not the actual action, just the initial surface feel. I also much prefer the look/styling of the N1X and I also much prefer the simple user interface to the pathetic nv10 touchscreen.

So in conclusion I've just answered my own dilema probably lol. There are more advantages to the yamaha, and that's what im settling on, the action is still a grand action and so should be an upgrade to my CA99 at the very least.

Also nv10 is definitely being replaced soon ish, N1X more likely has still got more life in it and will hold its value better as a replacement is not due for years yet.

M
M
the nv10 repetition speed is nice but it feels very different from a gl10 or gx kawai. and they actually have the same keybed... so I think it has more to do with the sound response that you get and how the sensors react to what you play. I still think the kawai nv10 is the best option but I lost the excitement about it. a real grand is so much better after all. I wish I had space for a grand piano.
But one thing I am sure is that the n1x is an awesome training for your hands. you will be able to play anywhere if you practice on the n1x

V
V
My N1X is home!

[Linked Image]

Anyone know which of the 2 boxes contains the actual piano/keyboard? I don't want to open them up yet as they need to make a trek up a flight of stairs and I don't want to cut the straps until that is done.

Last edited by VicPinto; 05/11/21 10:45 AM.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Current Piece - Chopin Nocturne Op.72 No.1
M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by VicPinto
My N1X is home!

[Linked Image]

Anyone know which of the 2 boxes contains the actual piano/keyboard? I don't want to open them up yet as they need to make a trek up a flight of stairs and I don't want to cut the straps until that is done.

Congrats on your new piano my friend, please show us how it looks when set up and you're initial impressions.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
My N1X is home!

[Linked Image]

My guess is the heavier box contains ‘the actual piano’, but don’t mark my words on that, for I’m a simple layman amongst a crowd of experts!

P.S.

Congrats!

V
V
Actual piano is in box 2. No way I can move that up stairs by myself without popping or blowing something out. Box 1 was easier but still heavy. I've got the lower all set up. Waiting for help with the main unit.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Definitely get some help with it. There's no reason to risk your health and safety setting this up!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Actual piano is in box 2. No way I can move that up stairs by myself without popping or blowing something out. Box 1 was easier but still heavy. I've got the lower all set up. Waiting for help with the main unit.

Wow! I'm impressed you were able to carry box 1 up stairs by yourself. You are way stronger than I am. I've never had brute strength. I've got more of a beach body. smile

God Bless,
David

There was a post a few months back with someone selling object to put on top of the N1X speakers to redirect the sound towards the pianist.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of that person?

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Ampersand
There was a post a few months back with someone selling object to put on top of the N1X speakers to redirect the sound towards the pianist.

Does anyone know how to get a hold of that person?

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/users/108058/neil-rosenberg.html

God Bless,
David

V
V
Before:
[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

The room is recently painted with new crown/trim and baseboard molding in anticipation of the arrival of the new piano. All I need is some art on the walls. As you can see this was a huge upgrade in piano for me. I went from a 13 year old Casio Privia PX-120 to an N1X. There is just no comparison so I'm not even going to try.

The sound of the N1X is superb. I really enjoy the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand over the CFX Grand but this may change as I start playing around with the settings. Speaking of settings, I don't think I will touch anything for now as I don't know what I don't know if that makes sense. I'm just super happy with having a go with it as it is right out of the box.

Speaking of boxes. This thing was packed like a tank - you'd have to try really hard to damage it during a normal delivery. I'll be taking cardboard and styrofoam to the work dumpster for the foreseeable future.

I was under the impression I could use Smart Pianist with Bluetooth. Apparently this is not the case so I need to go and buy the WiFi dongle. I was not aware of this. Also, the headphone jacks are 1/4" and I don't have an adapter so tonight's maiden playing session was cut short by kids going to bed. Oh well, tomorrow's another day.

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Page 210 of 237 1 2 208 209 210 211 212 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission