2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Blague, Damien PG, CyberGene, 36251, Alex Hutor, Bebe1980, Burkey, 7 invisible), 322 guests, and 481 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Talão Offline OP
OP Offline
T
A question that comes up often (and with which I myself struggle sometimes) is what to study, and in what order, to develop as a well-rounded pianist. Sure, you can ask your teacher (assuming they're good), but not everyone here has a teacher (for varied reasons).

I recently came across this book series called "Classics for the Developing Pianist: Core Repertoire for Study and Performance." There are 5 books, in progressive difficulty, each with 20 pieces split among the 4 major periods: Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and Contemporary (so 100 pieces in total).

Book 1 is said to be aimed at early intermediate players, and on from there through the other books. If you go to each book's page on Amazon, the "Look Inside" feature lets you see the names of all pieces, so I thought this would be a pretty cool list of 100 pieces to have for reference. Hope someone else in the forum finds this useful. Here are the links to Amazon:

Book 1: https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Developing-Pianist-Repertoire-Performance/dp/0739078941

Book 2: https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Developing-Pianist-Repertoire-Performance/dp/073907895X

Book 3: https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Developing-Pianist-Repertoire-Performance/dp/0739078968

Book 4: https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Developing-Pianist-Repertoire-Performance/dp/0739078976

Book 5: https://www.amazon.com/Classics-Developing-Pianist-Repertoire-Performance/dp/0739078984

It turns out I've worked on pieces from books 1, 2, and 3, but I now want to go back to book 1 and work on all of its 20 pieces, then move on to book 2, etc.

And for those who don't have a teacher to help them side by side, each of the 5 books appears to have a companion "study guide" book as well.

Note: I have not used the books, so I can't vouch for their quality (or that of the study guides). I simply liked the idea of a list of 100 pieces, covering the 4 periods, and sorted in order of difficulty.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks for sharing. I also struggle with that or just finding fun suitable pieces.

To add to your post I came across "Journey Through the Classics" by Jennifer Linn in some other thread here and the complete series is 1 book comprised of 4 books. Book 1 being the easiest and then each book they're sorted from simplest to hardest. I believe the one I mentioned may start out even a little simpler than your book 1. After I finish this book which I'm planning to work though it and play each one in order from start to end which take me a long long time haha then I'll grab this one you shared.

T
Talão Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Sebs
Thanks for sharing. I also struggle with that or just finding fun suitable pieces.

To add to your post I came across "Journey Through the Classics" by Jennifer Linn in some other thread here and the complete series is 1 book comprised of 4 books. Book 1 being the easiest and then each book they're sorted from simplest to hardest. I believe the one I mentioned may start out even a little simpler than your book 1. After I finish this book which I'm planning to work though it and play each one in order from start to end which take me a long long time haha then I'll grab this one you shared.

Cool! I'll check that one out! I'm trying to use some free OCR software to convert the images with the names of the pieces into a plain text list.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The selections are excellent but you will probably find it to be quite a jump from one book to the next, especially the higher levels. It goes from basic minuets in book one to the Pathetique sonata and Fantasie-Impromptu in book 5. It usually takes 8-10 years to reach that level. I don't think you will get there playing only these selections and nothing else.

T
Talão Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
The selections are excellent but you will probably find it to be quite a jump from one book to the next, especially the higher levels. It goes from basic minuets in book one to the Pathetique sonata and Fantasie-Impromptu in book 5. It usually takes 8-10 years to reach that level. I don't think you will get there playing only these selections and nothing else.

That is very good to know. Thank you for this feedback!

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

I know you won't get to that level just playing pieces alone but I bet I would take 8 years to get to book 5 hahah

T
Talão Offline OP
OP Offline
T

I know you won't get to that level just playing pieces alone but I bet I would take 8 years to get to book 5 hahah

I did a quick calculation. At my leisurely pace (not worrying about rushing), I think I can do about 20 or so pieces a year. I'm almost at the 2 year mark now. So it would take me another 5 years to go over all 5 books, putting me at year 7. So not too far from Qazsedcft's estimate :-)

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
E
E
I really like the concept here - with books that build on the talent level of the student - does anyone know of something similar using popular music?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The selections are excellent but you will probably find it to be quite a jump from one book to the next, especially the higher levels.
I was looking at these and thinking the same thing! Personally, I really like Jane Magrath's Masterwork Classics and Melodious Masterpieces series, they are very balanced and, between the two different series, you get a TON of pieces at your level. CDP seems like the most popular pieces at each level, which is nice, but you can pretty much find them anywhere.

Lisa

Playing RCM 7-8 repertoire
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

"I tell my piano the things I used to tell you." - Frederic Chopin
T
Talão Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by ebonyk
Personally, I really like Jane Magrath's Masterwork Classics and Melodious Masterpieces series, they are very balanced and, between the two different series, you get a TON of pieces at your level. CDP seems like the most popular pieces at each level, which is nice, but you can pretty much find them anywhere.

Thank you for this suggestion. I'll look into it as well.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
Originally Posted by ElKabong
I really like the concept here - with books that build on the talent level of the student - does anyone know of something similar using popular music?

Learning "popular music" is a different animal. You have to go through the normal piano-learning process for probably 3-4 years or so, so that you can at least sight-read melodies well with your right hand. Then you need to learn chords really well...in at least 6 major and 6 minor keys (those will cover about 85% of the pop music out there). By really well, I mean that you can look at a chord designation on a page of sheet music and your left hand just plays some version (or inversion, pun intended) of it without you having to think about it. You should also be able to "fill in" notes from appropriate chords with your right hand to enhance the melody line.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
J
J
I totally agree with trooplewis. At 66 years old and playing piano off and on my whole life only reading sheet music I was always so frustrated. Two years ago if you asked me to play a diminished or inverted minor chord I would have had no idea. Recently I learned chords and have delved into chord progressions and chord theory and now I can just sit and play without any sheet music and really enjoy it. Reading sheet music is important but the real magic and freedom in playing comes when you learn to play chords.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S

It depends what your goals are. If you want to play someone else's pop arrangements there are plenty on Musicnotes.com that are 'easy' or 'beginner' notes. Keep in mind they are not always very accurate such as some marked as easy can be tricky. You can learn a lot from all these classical pieces but you don't have to study them or play them ever if you don't want to and you want to learn pop. Also note all arrangements of pop can vary a ton as they're based on the original but there is no exact score like with classical.

Originally Posted by trooplewis

Learning "popular music" is a different animal. You have to go through the normal piano-learning process for probably 3-4 years or so, so that you can at least sight-read melodies well with your right hand. Then you need to learn chords really well...in at least 6 major and 6 minor keys (those will cover about 85% of the pop music out there). By really well, I mean that you can look at a chord designation on a page of sheet music and your left hand just plays some version (or inversion, pun intended) of it without you having to think about it. You should also be able to "fill in" notes from appropriate chords with your right hand to enhance the melody line.

I disagree with some of what you said. For example, you don't have to 3-4 years of 'normal piano' before playing pop and I don't think there is a 'normal piano' Yes, learning basics is a must but you can learn basics while studying pop. You don't have to sight read melody. You can learn the melody and study it. You only need to sight read if you plan to play from sight but it's not required at all.

There is no requirement that you must know at least 6 maj and 6 min keys of chords. You can play a ton of pop songs knowing far less as there countless progressions based on a few chords. You don't need to know them instantly unless you want to improvise on the fly you can still use the chords you know and study your lead sheet and practice it just as you would with any score.

Also you don't have to play harmony in LH and melody in RH unless you want to do piano solo which many do. There's plenty of pop you can play that's just for compin. You're better off starting out with some comping patterns only.

Originally Posted by jchaplain
.... the real magic and freedom in playing comes when you learn to play chords.
Yes, not having to rely on some else's version of what they made of a pop arrangment is great. With some open arpeggios in LH and melody in RH you can cover many pop ballads. I switched over to pop piano not too long ago and love it!

Last edited by Sebs; 05/10/21 10:17 PM.
Sebs, I'm not even sure what you are talking about; comping patterns?
Accompaniment?

And when I say 6 major, 6 minor, there are a lot of overlapping chords. But unless you always want to play in the key of C, you are going to have to learn the minors, the 7ths, and various inversions. It's not that hard, you just have to work on a couple chords every week and play thru the progressions.

Now if all you want is accompaniment, so that you can sing the melody line or have a violinist handy, I suppose you can get by.
But you would be cheating yourself out of making real progress being able to sight-read pop songs. And you will have to be able to read music, even if it is just from a Fake Book with a one-line melody and chord notation.

Casio PX-S3000
Nope, no issues with it at all.
Took lessons from 1960 to 1969, stopped at age 16.
Started again in July 2020 at age 67. Lots more fun now!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Talão

I did a quick calculation. At my leisurely pace (not worrying about rushing), I think I can do about 20 or so pieces a year. I'm almost at the 2 year mark now. So it would take me another 5 years to go over all 5 books, putting me at year 7. So not too far from Qazsedcft's estimate :-)
OK, but to play stuff like the Pathetique sonata requires much more than playing gradually harder pieces for so many years. I had 6.5 years of lessons and tried the first movement but it was too hard. The piece is 18 pages long (in my edition) so you better be able to read really well if you want to learn it in a reasonable amount of time. It has all sorts of technical challenges both in the slow and fast parts - from very fast scales and arpeggios to bringing out a melody over an accompaniment in the same hand. You need to have an all round very good technique, which is developed usually through etudes and technical exercises.

So sight reading, etudes, technical exercises like scales arpeggios, etc. And in my opinion you need a teacher to reach this level. If that is not an option you can at least follow a syllabus such as the RCM or ABRSM.

https://files.rcmusic.com/sites/default/files/files/RCM-Piano-Syllabus-2015.pdf

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
And actually, 20 or so pieces a year is NOT a leisurely pace. You need to polish them a lot more if you hope to improve beyond intermediate level.

T
Talão Offline OP
OP Offline
T
OK, but to play stuff like the Pathetique sonata requires much more than playing gradually harder pieces for so many years. I had 6.5 years of lessons and tried the first movement but it was too hard. The piece is 18 pages long (in my edition) so you better be able to read really well if you want to learn it in a reasonable amount of time. It has all sorts of technical challenges both in the slow and fast parts - from very fast scales and arpeggios to bringing out a melody over an accompaniment in the same hand. You need to have an all round very good technique, which is developed usually through etudes and technical exercises.

So sight reading, etudes, technical exercises like scales arpeggios, etc. And in my opinion you need a teacher to reach this level. If that is not an option you can at least follow a syllabus such as the RCM or ABRSM.

https://files.rcmusic.com/sites/default/files/files/RCM-Piano-Syllabus-2015.pdf

I fully agree with you. I was being overly simplistic and joking a bit. I do understand the value of sight reading, etudes, and the other basics. And in fact I enjoy those as much as the pieces themselves. My teacher does insist I work on them and pushes me to play with expression, proper phrasing and dynamics, etc. I've come to terms with the fact it's a long journey and I need to be patient.

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
The pieces in these books are not all very gradual. There are some big differences between them in the same book and in between books. Like jumping from Book 4, Chopin opus 9/2 (RCM 9) to book 5, Pathetique (Diploma level) is really a large gap.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sidokar
The pieces in these books are not all very gradual. There are some big differences between them in the same book and in between books. Like jumping from Book 4, Chopin opus 9/2 (RCM 9) to book 5, Pathetique (Diploma level) is really a large gap.
Even within book 5 there are pieces like La fille and the Scarlatti which are RCM 9 and then diploma pieces like F-I and the Beethoven. I was thinking that maybe the book contains instructions to play them in a certain order to have a more gradual curve but even then it's still quite a big jump.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by trooplewis
Sebs, I'm not even sure what you are talking about; comping patterns?
Accompaniment?

And when I say 6 major, 6 minor, there are a lot of overlapping chords. But unless you always want to play in the key of C, you are going to have to learn the minors, the 7ths, and various inversions. It's not that hard, you just have to work on a couple chords every week and play thru the progressions.

Now if all you want is accompaniment, so that you can sing the melody line or have a violinist handy, I suppose you can get by.
But you would be cheating yourself out of making real progress being able to sight-read pop songs. And you will have to be able to read music, even if it is just from a Fake Book with a one-line melody and chord notation.

I know where you're coming from and I agree with you that pop is a completely different area like you said. However, I was only pointing out that anyone can study pop at anytime and there are no rules or minimum requirements. The way you stated it you made it out to be there are rules and sets of requirements. Also to clarify about reading music, you said "sight read melodies" where as you don't have to sight read at all. Yes, reading music will help a lot but reading music and sight reading are two different things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,783
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission