2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
21 members (cmoody31, dh371, Fried Chicken, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 5 invisible), 1,234 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3115936 05/10/21 03:20 PM
A
achoo42 Offline OP
OP Offline
A

An early draft of the 2nd movement, recorded on my phone. I hope to have the whole thing recorded by the end of summer.

Any feedback is welcome!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Nice!!

A thing I particularly look for right away -- and for better or worse, it gives me a strong impression, one way or the other, which then is hard to shake....

It's kind of a subtle thing, and I'll be curious to know if it's even a thing that you exactly thought of....

how the 'beat' gets handled in that main melody

I imagine that to many or most people, it isn't obvious what I'm even talking about.

Here's the thing: It's easy for that "upbeat," i.e. the first 2 notes, to be heard as a "1st beat." (And then for the highest note to be heard as another strong beat.)
But it isn't. (Nor is the highest note a strong beat.)
The 1st beat is what comes right after those first 2 jotes.

We might think that the entry of the left hand on that actual 1st beat would make it clear that it's a 1st beat. But it doesn't. The nature of the melody is such that the 'default' tendency is for that upbeat to be heard as a 1st beat.
At least to me.

I think it's important for there to be some sense of the 1st beat being where it actually is.
But it's no good to be heavy-handed about it. The ambiguity of the beat is part of the beauty and flow.

So, how did you do on it?
I would say, absolutely perfectly. smile

......and as for the rest of it!!

Superb, through and through.

I haven't heard or looked through the whole set in a long time, and didn't remember how extensive and varied this movement is, nor quite how sublime and how forward-looking are some of the parts. You do a great job with all. There are some places that even seem to look forward to Scriabin.

The second subsidiary theme (don't know what else to call it -- I mean the part at 5:23 .....OK, I see it's called "Intermezzo II") is one of my most favorite passages of anything. There's just something captivating and tantalizing about the rolling between registers and the continuous modulations and the persistent avoidance of the tonic. (until he really gets there!)

I think this movement, more than any other in the piece, is a whole piece of its own.

A
achoo42 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you for the kind words, Mark. I agree with you that this is not only the most substantial movement but also an entire world in its own.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission