2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Animisha
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
VSTs always... the VPC1 sounds are... missing! grin

The same for me. But it actually started with getting a VST and finding that I liked the sounds of the VST so much more than those of my piano. From there, it dawned on me that because I like the sounds of the VST so much, why pay for the development of the sounds of a DP when I can get a controller? And only pay for the action.

Wise words! And that's why that I'm gonna keep my Korg C1 Air and customize the heck out of it (VST, speakers...) until I can afford an AP.

Last edited by meghdad; 05/10/21 02:28 AM.

Search the web privately with DuckDuckGo .
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I guess I was the third to vote yesterday, and I selected built-in sounds. I prefer built in sounds. But the default sound on any DP is not satisfying to me, so I try to tweak it as much as possible to get the tone I like and which sounds great on my headphones. Some DPs require much more tweaking than others.

I do love the VST sounds, but its too technical for me with its endless options. VST also allows adding/modding additional gear to make the whole experience much more elevated. It just too much setup and complexities - so I am now in the built-in sounds world.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Interesting poll. Just voted. I am in the minority with my VST. It is already a sizeable sample (56 people or so) but Europe-dominated. The US probably still needs to wake up.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmathew
I guess I was the third to vote yesterday, and I selected built-in sounds. I prefer built in sounds. But the default sound on any DP is not satisfying to me, so I try to tweak it as much as possible to get the tone I like and which sounds great on my headphones. Some DPs require much more tweaking than others.

I do love the VST sounds, but its too technical for me with its endless options. VST also allows adding/modding additional gear to make the whole experience much more elevated. It just too much setup and complexities - so I am now in the built-in sounds world.

Once you know the VST way, there is no way back. You will return to it. And your inner self knows that.

THIS IS THE WAY! eek

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
VSTis have caught up, it's almost 60 - 40 right now. Well 61 - 39, but I'm biased so I round down for the built-in sounds, but round up for virtual libraries. cool

I would like to be able to use the built-in sounds, they are more predictable in their behaviour and respond well to my playing. They're just so horribly hollow and dull sounding. After I started with VSTis, I started disliking the built-in sounds of the Casio PX-5S.

The textures and character I can get in many piano VSTs, and I don't even have the best ones (except the Garritan CFX), is something I've not been able to get with the onboard sounds. Not even with massive EQing and layering of many piano voices, and occasionally with EL pianos and pads.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/10/21 08:11 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I do love the VST sounds, but its too technical for me with its endless options.

Mmathew, there is no need at all to immerse yourself in the endless technical options. Just play it as it is. Have you watched this video?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
A question has kind of tickled my mind for while...
Originally Posted by pianogabe
Interesting poll. Just voted. I am in the minority with my VST. It is already a sizeable sample (56 people or so) but Europe-dominated. The US probably still needs to wake up.

Why is this forum, or most other forums I suppose, dominated by Europeans and Americans? Why no Japanese or Chinese people? Or South American (except for one or two Brazilian fellows) or elsewhere? Is it language barrier? No interest in piano in those locations? Or is it that they are too busy practicing? This I think applies to the east Asia nations because I see many of them posting their practice sessions on Instagram.

Last edited by meghdad; 05/10/21 08:48 AM. Reason: added "except"

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Where are you seeing these numbers split by geography?

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

There are no numbers split by geography. Just, in Stockholm, Sweden, it is half past three in the afternoon, and in Stockholm, Iowa, it is half past eight in the morning. We in Europe have had many more waking hours to vote.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
95% of the time I use built-in sounds. At home, I have a real grand piano. So the piano sounds in my other keyboards are for gigs/rehearsls/parties etc., and I don't feel that the incremental improvement of bringing and setting up a laptop is worth the bother. The only times I've used a VST is when recording, and either I was not at my house with access to the grand, or it had not been recently tuned, or it was something quick where I didn't want to bother with all the setup required to record the grand. Heck, and even then, sometimes I've used a built-in sound.

Last edited by anotherscott; 05/10/21 09:45 AM.
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I've switched back and forth over the last few years. I think built-in sounds are slowly catching up to VSTs; they still lag considerably in "depth and detail" but have really made strides in the fullness of sympathetic resonances. I've switched back to using VSTs full-time, and I think the good VSTs really do sound a lot more like real pianos.

Originally Posted by Barde
People using VST permanently, can you describe your PC setups? Does is run headless, is permanently on, or more like a traditional computer, with screen and booted together with DP ?

My recent Mac Mini VST build is documented here. I really couldn't ask for a more perfect setup. It's completely silent, hidden, and integrated into the DP, runs headless and on 24/7. When I need to access it, I can do so from any other computer in the house, including directly from the tablet on the piano's music rest (that serves as my sheet music display). I also use a keyboard as a BT page turner, and since it's already paired to the tablet, I can just pick it up off the floor if I ever need to type anything.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline

Hit the Next button in the poll results page.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by meghdad
Why is this forum, or most other forums I suppose, dominated by Europeans and Americans? Why no Japanese or Chinese people? Or South American (except for one or two Brazilian fellows) or elsewhere? Is it language barrier? No interest in piano in those locations? Or is it that they are too busy practicing? This I think applies to the east Asia nations because I see many of them posting their practice sessions on Instagram.

Language I guess. Many european countries, e.g. the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark etc, have a language spoken by a relatively small population. It makes no sense to have a forum like this in Dutch, because there would be too few people. The second language of many people nowadays is English, so that is where we gravitate towards.

Other languages are quite large: Spanish, Chinese etc. I am sure they have their own piano forums, but it may well be that they are also just debating pivot lengths, velocity layers, modelling, VSTs vs on board sound, headphone impedance, and, on their acoustic forum, whether or not every part in an acoustic has to be produced in Germany, including the last screw, in order to be considered 'real' smile.

Last edited by pianogabe; 05/10/21 11:42 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

I saw a map somewhere, when clicking 'next' a couple of times after voting. In Europe the center of gravity was in the Channel between France and UK smile

meghdad Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by meghdad
I am sure they have their own piano forums, but it may well be that they are also just debating pivot lengths, velocity layers, modelling, VSTs vs on board sound, headphone impedance, and, on their acoustic forum, whether or not every part in an acoustic has to be produced in Germany, including the last screw, in order to be considered 'real' smile.
I actually chuckled. Good one. laugh

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I think that is literally true. There are probably more dedicated pianists/piano students in China than in ROW combined at this point, and they're all interacting on Chinese forums and social media sites. Just as an example, we haven't had much in the way of tear-downs here, but within weeks of the CLP-7xx release, there were already links to Chinese forums that were...measuring pivot lengths and all that. So I don't even take that as being in jest.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
A reason to learn Chinese now. For how can we resist a good debate on Pivot length laugh

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Let’s try to google 钢琴键盘枢轴长度 (the simplified Chinese translation of piano keyboard pivot length)....

Last edited by Frédéric L; 05/10/21 01:59 PM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Let’s try to google 钢琴键盘枢轴长度 (the simplified Chinese translation of piano keyboard pivot length)....

okay maybe not learn Chinese for me.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
This is sort of like the DAW wars! You have to use a particular one or something is wrong with you. Use the one that works for you and enjoy learning piano/playing piano.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission