2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, 12 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 209 of 237 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 236 237
P
P
Originally Posted by mwf
Originally Posted by pianissimo_
Though I kind of expect the sound coming directly from the speaker is not very good, it still surprises me how muffled the sound is, even muffled than my old YDP. Is it just me?

The N1X speakers you mean?

yep

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Though I kind of expect the sound coming directly from the speaker is not very good, it still surprises me how muffled the sound is, even muffled than my old YDP. Is it just me?
I always thought it was the samples that sound muffled and not the speakers. The speakers don't feel muffled when I play VST through them.

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Beowulf
I always thought it was the samples that sound muffled and not the speakers. The speakers don't feel muffled when I play VST through them.

I'm satisfied with the sounds of my virtual pianos through the N1X speakers. Also, all music via bluetooth through my N1X speakers sounds great.

Also, some of the Bösendorfer samples on the N1X don't sound muffled, just the CFX does (to my ears).

God Bless,
David

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by Beowulf

I'm satisfied with the sounds of my virtual pianos through the N1X speakers. Also, all music via bluetooth through my N1X speakers sounds great.

Also, some of the Bösendorfer samples on the N1X don't sound muffled, just the CFX does (to my ears).

God Bless,
David

I'd describe the Bosendorfer as warm and mellow, in comparison to the CFX. It certainly does not sound muffled to me.
an "feel" the bass notes.

Position away from the nearest walls and the size of the room also matter, I reckon - my N1X is not backed up straight against the wall - it's in a corner. It's also in a room larger than a bedroom.

Sidetrack:
In switching back and forth from my P515 and N1X, using both the CFX and Bosendorfer sounds on speakers:
The sound is cleaner on the N1X, and I believe this is due to some differences in samples. For e.g., the P515 samples need to have a key noise element to it, the N1X doesn't. Thus the N1X sounds cleaner to me - and if I turn the volume up to the 2 o'clock position - the sound is very very clean, no muffling and I c

Last edited by mmathew; 05/09/21 08:21 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Dark, rainy, thunderstorm Sunday morning here in Ohio. Just a lazy timepass:

Played a "rain and thunder" clip through the N1X's speakers, and tried playing a Prelude in a loose manner, not that I can play it better if serious. N1X at default voice, phone's output at about 50%, N1X volume dial at about 2 o'clock. Recorded using iPad mini. The bass of both the clip and notes was indeed a powerful feel.

Feeling blessed and happy on this morning.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mmathew; 05/09/21 10:34 AM.

A man must love a thing very much if he practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practice it without any hope of doing it well. Such a man must love the toils of the work more than any other man can love the rewards of it.
G. K. Chesterton
M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
Very nice, I'm going back to shop this week to try n1x again and possibly buy one if I'm happy enough with it, still not convinced it's good enough for advanced repertoire but I'll put it through its paces to thoroughly check this time.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by mmathew
Feeling blessed and happy on this morning.

[Linked Image]

Isn't that gorgeous. It really is. No wonder you might feel blessed and happy.

Cheers and happy mighty thunders,

HZ

(Funnily enough, although it is late afternoon over here now, my morning was also dark, rainy and thunderstormy.)

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by mwf
Very nice, I'm going back to shop this week to try n1x again and possibly buy one if I'm happy enough with it, still not convinced it's good enough for advanced repertoire but I'll put it through its paces to thoroughly check this time.

Probably needless to say, but let us know your findings, that'd be very interesting indeed!

Cheers and happy tryouts,

HZ

M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

Originally Posted by mwf

Probably needless to say, but let us know your findings, that'd be very interesting indeed!

HZ

I'll post my conclusions next week, cheers.

D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mwf

I don't get it. You've already been down this road before.

Originally Posted by mwf
... I also played the N1X in store for about 3 or 4 hours straight. It was right next to an Nv10, you can't play fast repeated same keys on the N1X, this is not a matter of opinion, its factual, the action doesn't allow rapid note repetition. I played Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody no.2, the Friska section and to my amazement the keyboard mechanics couldn't keep up and it stalled not being able to keep up with my demands, I'm an advanced player. The NV10 was a different story, and it has lightening fast repetition, it makes advanced classical music accessible to the player, its simply a faster, lighter and far more manageable action, but this is because its taken from the GX series of grand pianos which are not baby grands.

i know how to test repetition rate on pianos, and the N1X would not let me play fast repeated notes without it buckling/stalling badly.

3-4 hours of playing the N1X before wasn't enough? How long are you going to play it for this time?

God Bless,
David

M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by David B
Originally Posted by mwf

I don't get it. You've already been down this road before.

Originally Posted by mwf
... I also played the N1X in store for about 3 or 4 hours straight. It was right next to an Nv10, you can't play fast repeated same keys on the N1X, this is not a matter of opinion, its factual, the action doesn't allow rapid note repetition. I played Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody no.2, the Friska section and to my amazement the keyboard mechanics couldn't keep up and it stalled not being able to keep up with my demands, I'm an advanced player. The NV10 was a different story, and it has lightening fast repetition, it makes advanced classical music accessible to the player, its simply a faster, lighter and far more manageable action, but this is because its taken from the GX series of grand pianos which are not baby grands.

i know how to test repetition rate on pianos, and the N1X would not let me play fast repeated notes without it buckling/stalling badly.

3-4 hours of playing the N1X before wasn't enough? How long are you going to play it for this time?

God Bless,
David

I want the NV10, but i can't trust its reliability so i only have one other option on the market, N1X. So I'm triple checking and whatnot. I can't remember how well the piano plays anymore, need to refresh my memory, the shop is only an hour away.

M
mwf Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
M
And you should know by now I'm completely insane anyway after all the s**t I've wrote on here lol.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
You've spent an awfully long time trying to convince yourself about the N1X.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
mwf, as much as I'd like to defend the N1X, I still think if you're after repetition speed, it might not be for you. As a matter of fact I think the typical digital piano action design might be better than even an expensive and well-regulated grand piano (as demonstrated by Casio). I think the main advantage of real acoustic piano actions is the mechanical feel of the real escapement that doesn't push back against your fingers and thus allows for more relaxed (hence more precise) dynamics control. Grand piano actions use the elaborate device of double-escapement to improve repetition and while it's indeed an ingenious solution and can be skillfully regulated to allow a very high speed of repetition, it's still a complex device that inevitably introduces complexity and a need for precise regulation and maintenance. Just think twice is what I'm saying smile Because I can easily see how you will end up with a N1X that you start bashing (and probably deservedly so) for its repetition speed after you've owned it for a while.

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/10/21 03:01 AM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello @mwf,

I'd just like to emphasize that I share the same thoughts as @David B and @CyberGene expressed.

I'm not sure why the NV-10 isn't worthy of your trust; to me it seems a wonderful instrument?

Good luck and will follow your progress with keen interest.

HZ

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I’m getting conflicting messages here:

Initially CG was in love with the N1X and could not recommend/praise it enough; now he’s like ‘I’m not so sure ‘bout that repetition on the N1X, are you sure you don’t want to look elsewhere?’

Initially mwf absolutely hated the N1X, ‘never again’, yet now he almost seems to feel guilty for bashing it and wants to give it a second chance!

Get your act together, you two! wink

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I suspect the bloody 5G waves and the chips that were implanted to us through the vaccines by Bill Gates (did you notice there’s a global chip shortages, a coincidence?!) are messing with our minds! ⚡️🔋🔌🧠

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
From the recent discussion, I think one can safely write off the all the Yamaha hybrids as worthless for advanced repertoire, in which repetition speed is of great importance. Correct? Since the N1X, N2 and N3X have the same keybed? What a shame, you AvantGrand line.

Let's put @Pete14 at rest and firmly at the top of the Envy Twenty waiting list.

BTW, who is this random bloke on the internet?

Last edited by mmathew; 05/10/21 07:16 AM.

G. K. Chesterton
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by mmathew
BTW, who is this random bloke on the internet?

“He shall be named David B,” said the Lord upon he who showeth this video to thee!

V
V
Just got a text from my dealer. My N1X has arrived!

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Current Piece - Chopin Nocturne Op.72 No.1
Page 209 of 237 1 2 207 208 209 210 211 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission