2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (AlphaTerminus, 8ude, 1957, adamcz, BlaisGuitars, Boboulus, Batuhan, 12 invisible), 700 guests, and 518 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
So I'm not a professional and I never won any competitions, so I've never gotten to play with an orchestra. Some of you might remember that 5 years ago, I tried to create my own orchestra for Rach 1, and did the first two movements:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLq2Iv7NGtT0XO_YJ4fCoEIssa1HQfyMe0

I've had a lot of free time lately, and I was taking a look at doing the 3rd movement. Looking at the score again, I remember why I didn't want to do what I did with the first 2 mvts...too many notes. I want to put together some "Music Minus One"s for my own favorite obscure concerti so future pianists don't need to struggle like I did, but it has to be more efficient than hiring an entire orchestra.

I first tried Melodyne hoping it could identify piano sounds, but it doesn't really work well with many instruments in overlapping ranges. Then I thought about using a score recognition program to transcribe the orchestral score to MIDI, but taking a bunch of basically level notes and adding expression is a fairly big undertaking.

After some thinking, I realized actual professional musicians can easily sight read the score, and (sadly) they should be cheap to hire. Does anyone who went to music school have any advice for how I might go about hiring music students who know how to hook up a proper microphone and record themselves? How much money would people want to do such a thing (e.g. dollars per hour)?

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/08/21 01:57 AM.
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Why not consider hiring one person good with VIs (virtual instruments) to do this?

Not sure where you would look, but vi-control might be a place to ask. This thread is at least a decent read. . .

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/which-orchestra-to-record.79238/

Maybe take a look at Fiverr.

I play piano, bansuri flute, guitars and compose meditative relaxing music! :-)
Well done on the 1st two movements. Most of the orchestra part is convincing (in a few places you get what I call the "Accordion" effect).

If you can transcribe the orchestral score into the Sibelius notation program, the best output without having to add expression yourself to each MIDI instrument is to use a program called "NotePerformer 3" (https://www.noteperformer.com/).

I hand entered the score of the Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No. 2 into Sibelius (approximately 100 hours of work for the whole concerto) and used NotePerformer (the only thing I had to do was tweak the dynamics of the cellos and basses):

Last edited by vmishka; 05/09/21 04:15 PM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If you really want to hire an orchestra, the musicians' union is probably your best bet. It will not be cheap, but hiring people who are familiar with the ins and outs will probably save you enough time and trouble to be worth it.

Semipro Tech
T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by vmishka
Well done on the 1st two movements. Most of the orchestra part is convincing (in a few places you get what I call the "Accordion" effect).

If you can transcribe the orchestral score into the Sibelius notation program, the best output without having to add expression yourself to each MIDI instrument is to use a program called "NotePerformer 3" (https://www.noteperformer.com/).

I hand entered the score of the Mendelssohn Piano Concerto No. 2 into Sibelius (approximately 100 hours of work for the whole concerto) and used NotePerformer (the only thing I had to do was tweak the dynamics of the cellos and basses):

Oh wow, this looks like a good option. I can get through about half the movement with trimming piano out of recordings with Melodyne and a lot of splicing and effects, this would be a little easier than learning some of the parts and trying to play them on keyboard as I have horrendous sight reading. One big reason I wasn't happy with just using the keyboard on this piece is the middle section with strings just doesn't sound good with "accordion effect", NotePerformer would probably fix that.

Originally Posted by BDB
If you really want to hire an orchestra, the musicians' union is probably your best bet. It will not be cheap, but hiring people who are familiar with the ins and outs will probably save you enough time and trouble to be worth it.

How much money does this cost? I would consider spending a few k but I always imagined it would be more than that. A single person with all the good software tools can probably get through all the work I need in around 50 hours.

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/09/21 06:14 PM.

T
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Relaxing_Music

Thanks, so about 2000 per hour. Hmmm...yea probably cheaper to hire someone to make some MIDI files for me, or individual tracks that I stitch together.

Last edited by trigalg693; 05/10/21 04:23 AM.
You'll probably find interested people on VI-control doing a mockup for you.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
You can purchase recorded orchestral accompaniments for various concertos:

https://www.smartsoloist.com/

Play classical repertoire from score. Improvise blues.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Question about upright piano placement
by Nicolas J. - 06/23/21 01:38 PM
The most entertaining encore I've ever seen
by pianoloverus - 06/23/21 01:38 PM
Lower Pianoteq power consumption
by meghdad - 06/23/21 11:18 AM
Opinion on Sherlock and Manning 13657
by JKyser - 06/23/21 09:39 AM
What a great book!
by Ubu - 06/23/21 09:03 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,670
Posts3,106,652
Members101,889
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission