2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
28 members (Bett, Calavera, abwesend, earlofmar, 1957, Dore, Emily2Lame, EB5AGV, crazyRyoga, 4 invisible), 787 guests, and 469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 449 of 449 1 2 447 448 449
Yao - Congrats on starting book 3. I remember playing Calypso Rhumba way back when. It's a pretty good piece and it's not hard at all.

Love the Anime song you posted just above. So beautiful and soothing. Great piece to learn.

I don't have a teacher yet. Can't afford one for a while. Would love to though. Piano is no small undertaking.

Good luck with your songs.

Stormbringer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Working on Alfred's Adult AIO Book 2
1970's: Took piano lessons. 2021: This old man is giving it a 2nd go.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Feel The Power>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
K
K
I have book 2 now but not started it - been playing odd numbers from book one as it takes my fancy. Also have a similar series called the complete piano which is very similar but the finger start positions are different. No issue but just different.
On the other hand, been working through some Jazz books and trying to get my head around rootless voicings which here is an interesting point for those deciding on whether sight reading is important to their learning. If I use my inner mind to make these voicings I do struggle to keep tally as I play, If on the other hand play using sight reading, and once I could learn to recognise the music picture of each on the stave, it becomes much easier to understand without all 'on the go' analysis if you will. But the sad part is that to understand by analysis is what makes for a deeper understanding and appreciation of the movements. How weird?
So me as Mr Jeckle and Mr Hyde is still plugging away - I wonder if I will ever arrive at a smooth place
Interesting to hear all joys and woes of wading through this early stuff. Whatever your thing keep doing it¬
Cheers for now - Andy

No good but carry on regardless
Y
Yao Offline
Y
Moving along, we picked Chopin’s Waltz in A flat Major (op 69 no 1) as a supplementary piece to Alfred, but it’s waaay harder than anything I’ve seen in Alfred so far, took me an hour just to get through a few measures. frown

But it’s my first Chopin piece! And I can’t wait until I can make it sound good!

T
T
Originally Posted by Yao
Moving along, we picked Chopin’s Waltz in A flat Major (op 69 no 1) as a supplementary piece to Alfred, but it’s waaay harder than anything I’ve seen in Alfred so far, took me an hour just to get through a few measures. frown

But it’s my first Chopin piece! And I can’t wait until I can make it sound good!

Chopin's Waltz Op. 69 No. 1 is rated at a Henle level 5. Since you mentioned this is your first Chopin piece, I'm impressed/surprised that your teacher didn't begin with an easier Chopin piece, like e.g. the Waltz in A minor (Henle Level 3) or one of the easier preludes in Op. 28 (Henle Level 4).

Talão

Yamaha U3 and P125
Playing since July 2019
My piano journey
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Yao

The Alfred's 1 book is probably equivalent to RCM Prep A or B or 1 ... not really sure. Waltz in A flat Major is RCM 8 smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Yao

I learned (an easy version) of Waltz in A minor from Allysia at www.piano tv.net. She offered a four week free class. I learned a lot.

SunnyKeys - from Florida but not the Keys. Learning for 2 years.
Newbie - RCM Level 1 etudes, ABRSM Level 1 2019-20 Exam pieces. Sans exams.

Yamaha P125
Ritmuller UP 121
Y
Yao Offline
Y
Originally Posted by Talão
Chopin's Waltz Op. 69 No. 1 is rated at a Henle level 5. Since you mentioned this is your first Chopin piece, I'm impressed/surprised that your teacher didn't begin with an easier Chopin piece, like e.g. the Waltz in A minor (Henle Level 3) or one of the easier preludes in Op. 28 (Henle Level 4).

Interesting, I did ask about Prelude in E. Minor (Op 28 No 4), my teacher said the prelude has some wide chords that could tense up my left hand, and since I’ve been working on finger exercises targeting flexibility and relaxation, she wants me to solidify that first before trying the prelude.

Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
The Alfred's 1 book is probably equivalent to RCM Prep A or B or 1 ... not really sure. Waltz in A flat Major is RCM 8 smile

I just finished Alfred’s book 2, so that puts me a liiiiitle closer... I guess I’ll just try and report back how the Chopin goes in a few weeks!

Y
Yao Offline
Y
On Alfred book 3’s Fandango, lovely little piece, interesting how the two sections contrast with each other. It’s still a review piece so I expect to pass this next week.

Page 449 of 449 1 2 447 448 449

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,690
Posts3,107,050
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission