2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
51 members (anotherscott, brennbaer, 3B43, Craig Hair, claburo, clothearednincompo, 13 invisible), 312 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
meghdad Online Confused OP
OP Online Confused
https://linkto.run/p/PFDQNK8M

Let's show the DP manufacturers how much their DP sounds suck. :-p

Note, the question implies future tense as well i.e will you use VST in (near) future?

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Using a (one so far) VST is the only way digital is at least acceptable (to me), for the time being, as a surrogate piano.

I'd be interested to play and hear (in the flesh) really top end digital pianos to see if that'd change my perception on this.

But from the (sooo many) pianos that I did play and/or listened to quality recordings of, none, zero, diddly, absolutely none did I like enough to consider that sound as my daily driver.

Out of a nutty curiosity, last Sunday I hooked up the internal sound of my Roland FP-10 to my three amps/six speakers setup. Shivers down my spine--and not the good ones. Unhooked after 20 seconds.

Cheers and happy comparisons,

HZ

U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
I won't vote because I think the question is pointless. (No offence intended)

I think this is kind of like asking what do you prefer, cars or schoolbusses. While one might drive better than the other, they both offer something the other doesn't, so they both serve their purpose and can live happily next to eachoter.

I think sometimes we tend to get a bit caught up in comparing things to point out a "best". I have realised I tend to do that myself as well but sometimes it serves no purpose.

OP Online Confused
I see what you mean , and that point did cross my mind before I had created this thread. However, I thought it'd be interesting to see in numbers, what the consensus is in this regard. I would admit though, that it wouldn't serve a meaningful purpose, other than the mentioned, and perhaps also poke some DP manufacturer's representatives lurking around here.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

I shall be "thankful" for this decent alternative to an upright piano. Hallelujah.
B
B
You miss one option in survey - both 😊

I use builtin for sessions where I don't have time or energy to connect the laptop. Then I live with it, it is good enough.

When there is time and I want some more pleasure from playing, or I want to record, VST.

FP-30, CLP-645
Garritan CFX, Pianoteq 6, Addictive Keys
OP Online Confused
My bad. Should have asked "what do you prefer"?

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
VSTs always... the VPC1 sounds are... missing! grin

More seriously, I went the controller way because I was not a big fan of built-in sounds, wanted flexibility and expandability and didn't need portability.

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
VSTs always... the VPC1 sounds are... missing! grin

The same for me. But it actually started with getting a VST and finding that I liked the sounds of the VST so much more than those of my piano. From there, it dawned on me that because I like the sounds of the VST so much, why pay for the development of the sounds of a DP when I can get a controller? And only pay for the action.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
VST

B
B
People using VST permanently, can you describe your PC setups? Does is run headless, is permanently on, or more like a traditional computer, with screen and booted together with DP ?

FP-30, CLP-645
Garritan CFX, Pianoteq 6, Addictive Keys
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Barde
People using VST permanently, can you describe your PC setups? Does is run headless, is permanently on, or more like a traditional computer, with screen and booted together with DP ?

It is permanently on.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...

My MacBook Pro is always on. To wake it from sleep mode, I lift the cover. I click the PianoTeq icon in the Dock, and I'm ready to play. It takes me longer than that to remove the dust cover from the P121 and turn it on.

As for the OP's question, I greatly prefer PianoTeq's sounds to the ones in my P121. smile

"I think it's the excitement only a free man can feel; a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain." -- Morgan Freeman's character, "Red", in The Shawshank Redemption
V
V
Garritan cfx. Laptop with hibernate as default. Few seconds to switch on or off. Weekly restart just to refresh memory.

Originally Posted by vagfilm
Garritan cfx. Laptop with hibernate as default. Few seconds to switch on or off. Weekly restart just to refresh memory.

+1

Laptop with hibernate is the best feature when using VST.

RD 2000 , VSLs, Garritan,Noire,Modern U , Grandeur etc.
monitors: iLoud MTM headphones: AKG702,DT990 pro,Sure215 etc.

E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
DP manufacturers should be ashamed of their delivered sounds. Unworthy of their asking price for the machines.

Last edited by EinLudov; 05/09/21 04:36 PM.
P
P
I would PREFER to be able to use built-in piano sounds, but unfortunately they suck, so I have to go to the bother and extra expense and added latency of using VSTs.

P
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
P
I believe this is changing as we speak; especially at the higher end (hybrids) where the pairing of a real action with a sub-par sound engine is no longer acceptable.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Permanantly on set up, piano and my little windows 10 netbook. I stroll in, switch on the light, and play whatever piano I left off playing. There are no missed notes but the display takes some seconds to happen.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

Originally Posted by peterws
Permanantly on set up, piano and my little windows 10 netbook. I stroll in, switch on the light, and play whatever piano I left off playing. There are no missed notes but the display takes some seconds to happen.

This would be a dream situation for me!

What netbook (make/model/key specs) do you use for this?

And: I guess permanently-on means no sleep modes, for then connections to e.g. the audio interface would need to be refreshed before being able to play again?

Cheers and thank you,

HZ

OP Online Confused

Good question because I've been thinking on and off about how to set up my imminent Pianoteq machine. Since I'm running GNU/Linux I'd prefer to go for the headless approach using a lightweight Ubuntu config or a headless distro, that is, if the current setup proves to be unfit for running Pianoteq which I highly doubt. However as far as fast startup goes, such a config can be suitable. That, or like others, I'd just put the machine on sleep mode though I'd prefer not to consume energy even if it's like one watt.

P.S Interesting that the poll results are different to the discussion here as the builtin sounds option is ahead.

Pianoteq + Korg C1.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommend me a stand for my Kawai ES920
by Jojovan - 06/24/21 08:42 AM
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,783
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission