2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (Bebe1980, clothearednincompo, chopin_r_us, Alex McG, 1957, 12 invisible), 280 guests, and 492 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
ilai.bz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hello there, I’m moving to a new house with my family and we want to purchase a new grand piano between 4’9 to 5’3 (151-161 cm), I read a lot in online forums that you need at least 10x the size of your piano, I want to know how bad is it to put my grand in 7-9 squared meter room, felling is 2.7 meters, don’t think about neighbors or anything related, I want to know how it will effect my grand acoustically and just how it will effect, ty so much for help

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I
ilai.bz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
The room is 9.3 squared meters and the ceiling is 2.65 Meter

D
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
2000 Post Club Member
D
I think you might find the sound of a grand piano as short as that, rather disappointing, whatever the size of the room. Might a large upright suit you better?

A
A
Originally Posted by ilai.bz
...I read a lot in online forums that you need at least 10x the size of your piano...

I personally think this is BS, small pianos are quieter but the difference is mainly in the bass, loudness of mid-treble section is not very different from larger pianos, only big concert grands (2.7m+) are designed to be actually significantly louder.

My solution is: buy 1,8m - 2m grand but one that is easy to control in low dynamics, it should be voiced for low dynamics and have light hammers.

You're not going to solve your problem by buying some 1.5m piano, they sound terrible and aren't actually much quieter.

I
ilai.bz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted by ambrozy
Originally Posted by ilai.bz
...I read a lot in online forums that you need at least 10x the size of your piano...

I personally think this is BS, small pianos are quieter but the difference is mainly in the bass, loudness of mid-treble section is not very different from larger pianos, only big concert grands (2.7m+) are designed to be actually significantly louder.

My solution is: buy 1,8m - 2m grand but one that is easy to control in low dynamics, it should be voiced for low dynamics and have light hammers.

You're not going to solve your problem by buying some 1.5m piano, they sound terrible and aren't actually much quieter.

I’m not talking about loudness, im asking if I will have bad acoustic due to 9.3 squared meter room

J
J
My 7’ is in a small room. Practise rooms at good music schools have grands in small rooms.

The point is that you should get the piano you want based on musical reasons rather than the room it’s going to be in. My piano is quite loud for the room, it hurts my ears when it’s open and so I have it entirely closed most of the time, but the benefits in tone for the tenor and bass range is worth it to me as a professional pianist vs. a smaller instrument. That may not be your needs, but consider what kind of sound you want. Maybe a small piano is great for your needs, but maybe not. Voicing the piano for the room is an important part of the process.

F
F
Make sure you choose your piano based on how it feels and sounds, not on the basis of someone telling you “anything smaller than x is garbage.” Some excellent advances have been made in small piano design in recent years, and even among older pianos, you can find fine instruments, provided they are appropriately set up. I service a number of 157 cm pianos - Yamaha G1’ and C1’s, Young Chang G-157 (1988 ish) and a Knabe from the 1920’s. Some I like better than others. I have taken a deep dive into the Knabe and a couple of the Young Changs — bass rescaling, reducing weight in the treble hammers and thorough touch weight revision — and have come up with results that are truly musically viable. I would not choose an upright over these instruments.

As for room size, at the university where I work, we have a 6’ Yamaha G3 and a Boesendorfer 200 (2m) together in a teaching studio small than the room you are describing. Maybe not the setup you would want in your living room, but I don’t hear anyone complaining that the pianos are too big. Make sure the piano is appropriately voiced, and you should be able to get the dynamics you want when you need them.

Floyd G RPT
www.floydgadd.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Small square room is bad for acoustics no matter what sound source there is. Reflections in a small room are short and make sound muddy and rumbling instead of reverberant, while square size makes room modes even more pronounced for basses.
The best you can do is make the sound dry by absorbing reflections at least at first reflection points for player and listener.
Bass traps in corners to help with room modes, and carpet under the piano with absorbtion panels on walls (and on ceiling if possible) to absorb reflections can make the sound decent. Any openings to adjacent rooms will help as well.

Last edited by VladK; 05/09/21 01:05 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
I
ilai.bz Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thank you guys so much, you guys really helped ty so much

C
C
I have a 5’3” grand in a smallish room and it suits my needs just fine.

I’m happy with the size of my piano and the room is an awesome music room.

C
C
[img]http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...dible-things.html#lg=3099927&slide=0[/img]

Here is a picture.

Of course, it comes in as a link to the picture. I suppose I will never figure out how to post a photo on pianoworld.

If someone tells what to do I will be forever grateful

Last edited by CaseyVancouver; 05/10/21 02:22 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Casey's picture:

[Linked Image]

Casey, in brief: right-click on the picture in the Gallery / "copy image address" / Use Full Editor / click the image button / right-click in the box / paste - that's it!

Last edited by David-G; 05/10/21 02:28 PM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I don't think Ilai has told us that his room is square in shape. Ilai, what are the actual dimensions of your room?

Originally Posted by David-G
Casey's picture:

[Linked Image]

Casey, in brief: right-click on the picture in the Gallery / "copy image address" / Use Full Editor / click the image button / right-click in the box / paste - that's it!

So, what's the basic rule of thumb here? A grand should occupy be no more than 10 or 30 or 40 percent of a room? Of course, assuming its a mainly piano room with occasional vocal group of 5 singers or 2 cellists like Casey's...

BTW, the room size is the variable here. smile

Hard at work while waiting for my dream DP....

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,766
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission