2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
38 members (Alex Hutor, 1903wrightflyer, Alex McG, Christopher90, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 235 guests, and 474 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
After seeing Gombessa's post on ground loop issues with his Garritan CFX setup and ordering a UM-ONE as an atempt to solve it, I finally decided to do the same.

I am glad to know it worked for him and yesterday I did a quick test with my just received one and it also worked fine for me. In my case, I added it to the setup below. The thing is when I tried using USB MIDI from ES8 to control Pianoteq, I got noticeable noise at AG-06 output. With UM-ONE, no noise at all. So, it works for me too. Happy dancing over here. smile

[Linked Image]

Last edited by EVC2017; 05/08/21 09:54 AM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I got one o' those when i bought a roland; I had to. And it worked with my P515 too, when the expected lead wouldn't. But it does now for some strange reason so I have an . . ummm . . .spare UM.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Keep it handy just in case 😃

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Awesome, glad to know it helped!!

One thing I am baffled about the UM-ONE is the FTP mode and driver situation.

According to Roland, the best performance and latency will be by setting the UM-ONE to Comp (instead of Tablet) and using the Roland FTP driver to run the midi. But I can't find any information about what FTP mode is or how much faster it is supposed to be. It doesn't really matter because it just works for me, but I'm still curious.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
S
S
FYI the reason it eliminates ground loop noise is the MIDI spec calls for an opto-isolator on the MIDI-IN of the piano and the MIDI-in of the UM-ONE.

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/hardware.htm

So ground currents cannot flow via the MIDI connection (unlike a USB cable which has a direct GND connection between the two devices). So your analog audio cable makes the only ground connection between the two devices - so you avoid having a big ground loop antenna which picks-up and injects noise onto the analog audio.

Some cheap USB-midi adapters don’t bother with the opto-isolation so it’s worth going for a reputable one like the Roland.

E
EVC2017 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
We are aware of that, but thanks for bringing this in anyway, it may be useful for others that get to this topic.

Originally Posted by Showpan2
FYI the reason it eliminates ground loop noise is the MIDI spec calls for an opto-isolator on the MIDI-IN of the piano and the MIDI-in of the UM-ONE.

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/midispec/hardware.htm

So ground currents cannot flow via the MIDI connection (unlike a USB cable which has a direct GND connection between the two devices). So your analog audio cable makes the only ground connection between the two devices - so you avoid having a big ground loop antenna which picks-up and injects noise onto the analog audio.

Some cheap USB-midi adapters don’t bother with the opto-isolation so it’s worth going for a reputable one like the Roland.

Last edited by EVC2017; 05/08/21 04:00 PM.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Awesome, glad to know it helped!!

One thing I am baffled about the UM-ONE is the FTP mode and driver situation.

According to Roland, the best performance and latency will be by setting the UM-ONE to Comp (instead of Tablet) and using the Roland FTP driver to run the midi. But I can't find any information about what FTP mode is or how much faster it is supposed to be. It doesn't really matter because it just works for me, but I'm still curious.
I didn't see any reference to "FTP" but Tablet mode is what Roland used to call Generic... it means no driver required (it just functions as a normal class-compliant device), and you have to use it for iPads because Apple does not permit the installation of third party drivers in iOS. Computer mode is what used to be called Vendor (because you had to install a driver from the vendor--Roland--for it to work).

I could be wrong about this, but my impression was that the "computer" or "vendor" mode enabled some other extended MIDI protocol just for Roland devices. It would give you better perfornabce and/or enable additional features when connecting your Roland keyboard to your computer. But as far as I know, it provides no benefit when using anything other than Roland devices. But as I said, I could be wrong... maybe someone has some more definitive info about this.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by anotherscott
I didn't see any reference to "FTP" but Tablet mode is what Roland used to call Generic... it means no driver required (it just functions as a normal class-compliant device), and you have to use it for iPads because Apple does not permit the installation of third party drivers in iOS. Computer mode is what used to be called Vendor (because you had to install a driver from the vendor--Roland--for it to work).

I could be wrong about this, but my impression was that the "computer" or "vendor" mode enabled some other extended MIDI protocol just for Roland devices. It would give you better perfornabce and/or enable additional features when connecting your Roland keyboard to your computer. But as far as I know, it provides no benefit when using anything other than Roland devices. But as I said, I could be wrong... maybe someone has some more definitive info about this.

Sorry, my mistake--it's "FPT processing for low latency and tighter clock timing" https://www.roland.com/global/products/um-one_mk2/

All things equal, I'd prefer to use the class-compliant spec and avoid having to install a 3p driver, but I was swayed by faster processing claim and the native Apple Silicon support smile

Still don't know what FPT is, but the cheap China-brand USB-MIDI adapter I have also claims FPT processing (without the need for any driver, but that one creates audible clicks accompanying MIDI events).

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Ah, "FPT" let me find the info...

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/20090330/Fast-Processing-Technology

Interesting. It looks like having it in the UM-One interface (which in this case IS the hardware, as opposed to the keyboard being the hardware) makes it a benefit no matter what keyboard you're using.

It would be nice to see a more thorough document. This one refers to a non-existent "figure 4," and uses another mysterious acronym, HDMR, and refers to "thicker" operating systems, whatever that means.

How much of a benefit it is for Mac vs. Windows, and for different kinds of usages (single vs. multiple attached devices, MIDI sources. vs. MIDI destinations, VST hosting vs. DAW, etc.) is still unclear. But at least this info is better than nothing. ;-)

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Super interesting, thanks for digging that up! I get the impression that real-time piano playing probably doesn't stress "generic" midi enough for FPT to make a difference, but hopefully it doesn't have any downsides to using it.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
pianoteq keystroke sound control
by ronlefebvre - 06/23/21 10:16 PM
Bachendorff Piano
by trr04002 - 06/23/21 09:56 PM
Hardware for Pianoteq on an NV5S
by Vikendios - 06/23/21 07:39 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,677
Posts3,106,758
Members101,892
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission