2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
45 members (Cutec, brennbaer, Alan3666, Carey, chaplincap, EssBrace, CyberGene, Evgeny 85, BlakeOR, 5 invisible), 1,359 guests, and 624 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 134 of 147 1 2 132 133 134 135 136 146 147
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I am a professional poster just offering my words of wisdom!

But yes, sometimes I can get a little naughty, and for that I deserve the occasional spanking. blush

Now, semantics aside (annoyance/frustration), we are on the same page on the merits of these instruments and the overall happiness they bring, but no marriage is perfect, and rather than immediately thinking about divorce right after the first -six months- of annoyance and/or frustration it is better to sit down and talk it out.

If Kawai is not willing to sit down and talk it out, I will personally initiate proceedings for a divorce and it will not go well for Kawai!

P.S.

I apologize for using the word ‘colour’ in a previous post, and I hope I didn’t offend anyone. The correct spelling is indeed ‘color’ but the aristocrat in me took over for a while. The good news is that I’m back to seeing colors!

R
R
Originally Posted by Pete14
P.S.
I apologize for using the word ‘colour’ in a previous post, and I hope I didn’t offend anyone. The correct spelling is indeed ‘color’ but the aristocrat in me took over for a while. The good news is that I’m back to seeing colors!

Actually, that is very Canadian of you.

Ron

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
avss01,

Don't let yourself get too riled up. Pete14 is a walking Poe's Law.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
K
K
Originally Posted by Pete14

But yes, sometimes I can get a little naughty, and for that I deserve the occasional spanking. blush

Now, semantics aside (annoyance/frustration), we are on the same page on the merits of these instruments and the overall happiness they bring, but no marriage is perfect, and rather than immediately thinking about divorce right after the first -six months- of annoyance and/or frustration it is better to sit down and talk it out.

If Kawai is not willing to sit down and talk it out, I will personally initiate proceedings for a divorce and it will not go well for Kawai!

P.S.

Trouble is Pete the reality you speak of and the marriage guidance relies on both parties as you say here communicating. Sadly we speak for one party while the other (Kawai) still remain silent.

Andy

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, and this is why I’ve given Kawai an ultimatum: join the conversation, Kawai, or I will ‘personally initiate divorce proceedings’.

Pete

S
S
Originally Posted by Suki0650
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I believe it was already clarified here that "shrill" is just an added resonance modeled by the SK-EX Rendering Engine to give you a more realistic experience. On a real acoustic piano you'll hear that and many other shrills! If you don't like it, I think there is an option to lower its volume or deactivate it completely...
To clarify my issue, it is not that there is a shrill or resonance with the SK-EX, it is that I have had the very same SK-EX setting give two different sounds on multiple occasions. If it was just the way the setting sounded, I would understand, but this is a different issue.
I believe I have potentially found the issue I had described with odd sounds on the high notes that were not comfortable to listen to when playing. Perhaps any folks that have an understanding of electronics engineering could comment.

I noticed that the volume on the DP would not not smoothly increase when moving the slider up and down; there were somewhat of 'deadspots' in the total volume slider range. When I fiddled with it by moving it up and down I found that there was a change in the resonance - it didn't remove the resonance of the high pitch, but it added a wider and deeper range of sounds to the entire keyboard, which sounds as great as I remember. By sliding the volume lever up and down quite a few times, it seems I can't always replicate it (one of these issues that is hard to prove). Is there any possibility that a volume button could have this effect on the amp, etc., or is this just another odd occurrence?

F
F
Originally Posted by magicpiano
I believe it was already clarified here that "shrill" is just an added resonance modeled by the SK-EX Rendering Engine to give you a more realistic experience. On a real acoustic piano you'll hear that and many other shrills! If you don't like it, I think there is an option to lower its volume or deactivate it completely...
To clarify my issue, it is not that there is a shrill or resonance with the SK-EX, it is that I have had the very same SK-EX setting give two different sounds on multiple occasions. If it was just the way the setting sounded, I would understand, but this is a different issue.
I believe I have potentially found the issue I had described with odd sounds on the high notes that were not comfortable to listen to when playing. Perhaps any folks that have an understanding of electronics engineering could comment.

I noticed that the volume on the DP would not not smoothly increase when moving the slider up and down; there were somewhat of 'deadspots' in the total volume slider range. When I fiddled with it by moving it up and down I found that there was a change in the resonance - it didn't remove the resonance of the high pitch, but it added a wider and deeper range of sounds to the entire keyboard, which sounds as great as I remember. By sliding the volume lever up and down quite a few times, it seems I can't always replicate it (one of these issues that is hard to prove). Is there any possibility that a volume button could have this effect on the amp, etc., or is this just another odd occurrence?

I can confirm that the slider is non-linear. For this to be the case, power-output would need exponential regulation as dB is a logarithmic scale and as we all (should have) learned over the past year: exponential growth is one of the greatest fears of any scientist or engineer (except for those rare intended cases). For me it continuously increases volume but has no effect on wideness or depth of the sound (excluding the upper limits) and the resonance stays as piercing as described. Although possible, any amplifier output volume - frequency correlation hasn't presented itself yet. A good amplifier should only make things louder without altering the spectrum and I think those inside are of decent quality. This is my case only.

I'm back with my USB issues...

So.
I have my new SanDisk key, empty, formatted by the DP, plugged in.
I record a couple test files to check everything is ok, fine up to this point.
Then I move on to actual recording.

After saving a few takes, I want to listen back to them and when I go to the USB Music Player, only my test files + a first take are there, the rest of my actual recordings aren't.
My first thought is WTF !? I clearly saved all the files, the USB is clearly plugged in (there's the little icon at the top, and the USB Music Player would be unavailable otherwise), and recording worked fine for the 3 tests +1 take I did...
I then look at the "Recorder playback" tab, and there are my other saved recordings - in the internal memory of the piano. I changed nothing between the 1st take and the rest.

So at least my takes are somewhere... now remains the issue of actually get them out of the piano and into my USB key, computer, whatever. I couldn't find any way of doing that, does someone know ?
It would be kind of pointless to have the internal memory of the piano if you can't get your recordings out of there...

Why the recordings were saved to internal memory, I don't know. I'm aware that if you select a specific recording format, then recordings are saved to internal memory. However, as mentioned above, I did no such thing and my test recordings as well as one of the takes were correctly saved.
I'm willing to give this one time the benefit of the doubt, that it's a one-in-a-million occurrence since you all praised the reliability of SanDisk.

But. Given the amount of issues I've had with simply recording my pieces (also had another problem with a third "crappy" no-brand usb stick while waiting for the SanDisk one to arrive...), this is really starting to [censored] me off.

Kawai CA79 (Jan 2021), Casio Privia PX-870 (Jun 2017)
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

It may not be related, however if you haven't done so already, please try turning the "Low Volume Balance" setting to "Off".

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
Originally Posted by Meap6
I then look at the "Recorder playback" tab, and there are my other saved recordings - in the internal memory of the piano. I changed nothing between the 1st take and the rest.

That's strange.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally change the recording format from MP3 or WAV to Internal?

If not, and you are able to reproduce this, please send me a PM with the steps to reproduce the issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

I also noticed that the "recording start" behavior I previously described on this thread, where a recording cannot be started from keyboard/pedal input if the previous recording was deleted instead of saved, was not fixed when I formatted the SanDisk key with the DP.
The previous "crappy" USBs had fixed the behavior when I formatted them with the DP. They were of smaller storage capacity, tried 4,8 and 16Gb keys, while the SanDisk one is 32Gb - maybe that has something to do with it ?

Originally Posted by Kawai James

That's strange.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally change the recording format from MP3 or WAV to Internal?

If not, and you are able to reproduce this, please send me a PM with the steps to reproduce the issue.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi James!
As I said, this is hopefully a one-in-a-million thing.

I'm quite certain i changed nothing, you have to go well out of your way to actually select the file format (opening the recording menu, 3 dots, format...). I start all my recordings from the small "Rec" button, so I personally think it's impossible I changed it accidentally.

If it does happen again, you can be sure I'll try to figure out how it happens, and will report the bug !

By the way, do you have an answer to exporting my recordings from the internal memory of the DP ?

Trying to reproduce the issue,
I've also noticed that similarly to saving user sounds, there is no check for previously existing recordings with the same name when you save to the DP's internal memory.
You can end up with multiple recordings that have identical names.

I added that to the issue list.
https://semestriel.framapad.org/p/kawai-ca79ca99-ui-amp-system-issues-9mga

Thanks.

By the way, do you have an answer to exporting my recordings from the internal memory of the DP ?

I don't believe this is currently possible, I'm afraid.

Kind regards,
James
x

Thanks.

Kind regards,
James
x

Darn.
I'm going to try connecting the DP to my computer and record the line in while it's playing the piece from the recorder.
Maybe that'll work.

Still fiddling with recording, I did the following:
Emptied my USB stick, reformatted it with the piano. When it was done, I unplugged and re-plugged it (to see if it was being detected properly)
then I recorded 3 tests.
The 3 tests are in the key (available in the USB music player), but were apparently also saved in the internal memory of the DP (available in "Recorder Playback"), alongside the previous takes I'm trying to get out of the DP.

Is this normal ?
The manual (p36) states that the "Recorder Playback" option in the menu only shows up when there are pieces in the DP internal memory, so I'm assuming only pieces recorded to internal memory should appear there, no ?

A
A
So I made a call with the dealer and the owner checked on the phone whether or not the piano displayed the bugs mentioned.

She changed some settings and saved it under "user sounds". She restarted the piano and the settings weren't there, but if you re-select the user sound the settings will be put back normally.

So can you guys be a bit more specific about what settings it will and will not save?

Last edited by Arjen B; 05/08/21 07:04 AM.
Originally Posted by Arjen B
So I made a call with the dealer and the owner checked on the phone whether or not the piano displayed the bugs mentioned.

She changed some settings and saved it under "user sounds". She restarted the piano and the settings weren't there, but if you re-select the user sound the settings will be put back normally.

So can you guys be a bit more specific about what settings it will and will not save?

You can check what issues we've brought up in the issue letter, here :
https://semestriel.framapad.org/p/kawai-ca79ca99-ui-amp-system-issues-9mga

Thanks.

Kind regards,
James
x

Darn.
I'm going to try connecting the DP to my computer and record the line in line out while it's playing the piece from the recorder.
Maybe that'll work.

Good news, recording from line out of the DP while playing the internal recordings from the "Recorder Playback" tab does work.
You just need to be careful of when you recordings end, as the DP automatically goes to the next recording in the list.

A
A
Okay so this time I did cancel my order. I did promise the dealer that I will replace my order once Kawai comes with an update, fixing the worst of the issues. I also want to see if Kawai is even serious about customer service.

And yes, I actually will replace my order if things are being fixed, because for the rest it really is a lovely piano.

E
E
@Meap6 all that talk about 'junk' USB keys is no more than old wives tales. There CAN be issues with some keys sometimes, and there can be mechanical issues that make a given device more prone to disconnect from any key, but those are well in 'rare expected occurrence' territory.
They're however a very convenient scapegoat because they're inherently unverifiable.

The Behringer X32 has a record to USB feature in which you have to end a recording by pressing STOP. If you do press REC while recording, the recording stops, but nobody knows what happens to it - sometimes you get a file with 0 bytes, sometimes something else. What is worse is that, visually, REC seems like the obvious choice to stop the recording, while STOP gives no visual feedback. There's also a light that shows whether the key is ready to be ejected or not. It only turns green some seconds after stopping the recording, but the manual doesn't explain that clearly. It doesn't help that the X32 is one of those devices that is mechanically choosy about keeping the USB key correctly connected.

Page 134 of 147 1 2 132 133 134 135 136 146 147

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,879
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission